British Speedway Forum

All Time Hackney 1-7

Vincent Vega

If we're picking an all-time Hackney team based on the riders we've seen and what they did DURING their time with Hackney (and not what they did before or afterwards), then this would be mine from the period 1971-1991 inc:

HEAT LEADERS

1. Bengt Jansson

The talisman and supreme stylist to lead the way in Heat 1.

3. Dave Morton

Mort lines up at No.3 because I'd want the dirt to have moved out a little more by the time he appears for his first ride in Heat 3. And how he would be able to use that grip out by the fence to his advantage come Heat 13. Mind you, there might not be a lot of room left out there when partnered with either of my two reserves!

5. Bo Petersen

Speed and style, a force to be reckoned with at any time.

SECOND STRINGS

Not really second strings, but stars in their own right.

2. Dag Lovaas

Would form a formidable opening race all-Scandinavian pairing with Banger. And if the track was wet, who better to go out in Heat 1 and show them how it's done. A smart gater, he would be good for 3 points in Heat 1 and virtually guaranteed the win in Heat 8.

4. Garry Middleton

A controversial choice, but then we need a showman who will put 'bums on seats' and liven up the less entertaining meetings. Always a crowd-puller who would be capable of double figures.

RESERVES

A pair of mercurial reserves who could come in to any race for an extra ride and have the capability of beating anyone on their night. Regardless of points contributions, they like, 'Cass', would excite the crowd and guarantee good attendances week in, week out. They would also ensure most fans stayed behind after home meetings to have a beer and a chat with them in the bar (remember when riders used to do that?).

6. Barry Thomas

Mr Hackney. Enough said.

7. Zenon Plech

A personal favourite who edges out one or two others with better scoring records (notably Finn Thomsen) but deserves his place for his determination and entertainment value alone.

Imagine these two in the reserves' race together!

-------------------------------

8. Mark Loram

What an exciting talent to bring in to cover for injuries and other absences. I know he was only competing at second division level in 1988, but by then he was already effectively a quality top flight class rider.

With apologies to Dusty Haigh and Colin Pratt, who I did not have the pleasure of watching race at The Wick.

PROMOTER/TEAM MANAGER

Len Silver

Leapin' Len in his vintage early 70s prime, when he was the ultimate showman and his nicely banked track was always very well prepared for RACING and, regardless of the result, the Hawks fans went home mainly happy in the knowledge that they had been thoroughly entertained.

May I please suggest you add this to your Xmas stocking....

MEMORIES OF HACKNEY SPEEDWAY - £16 for almost 4 hours of pure Hackney heaven on double-disc DVD...

www.retro-speedway.com

Edited by tmc

Vincent,

Yes, I too have the ReRun Productions history DVD.

So you're not interested in our four-hour double disc DVD on Hackney, featuring lots of NEW (and, in many cases, more in-depth) interviews and angles on the history of the club, plus previously unseen footage?

Vincent,

Yes, I too have the ReRun Productions history DVD.

So you're not interested in our four-hour double disc DVD on Hackney, featuring lots of NEW (and, in many cases, more in-depth) interviews and angles on the history of the club, plus previously unseen footage?

I just hope it's not got previously unseen footage of SOME of our nights in the Vic Harding Lounge Tony Mc! ;-) Has it got an interview with 'eathy et al as he and the likes of the late Snowy plus many others are certainly integral parts of the club's past?!

Edited by Bryn

Bryn,

I'm amazed that you even need to ask what is on our DVD.

No, must admit, we didn't interview the legend that is Terry Heath or indeed your goodself, and of course we were unable to interview Snowy, but we did manage to get hold of some other blokes called Thomas, Plech, Morton, Hubbard, Loram, Silver, Pratt, Russell, etc, etc, etc, whom you might also have heard of.

Oh, and Terry Heath phoned us to say how much he enjoyed our version of Hackney past.

Edited by tmc
  • Like 1