British Speedway Forum

Kent 2013

Paul

Can I just say what a breath of fresh air Nikko has been. Enthusiastic communicative and honest. Very refreshing. I can't make Mondays opener which is an even bigger shame now I know the legend that is Barry Thomas will be there but will definitely make the first meeting I can. Well done Nikko.

• Like 1

I went Monday and there was a good number there.Met Neil who is a great bloke, was very imformative and his enthusiasm for the Club really showed.Also there seemed to be a real team spirit amongst the riders,so that counts for a lot.

totally agree with u there aj i was also there and the whole team, management and all involved seemed to get on well. always a good sign when the team bond well. really looking forward to this season and am counting the hours down to monday.

Great coverage of the CTA Fire Kings in this weeks Sittingbourne News Extra.

Back page discussing the move out of Sittingbourne FC from the football pitch at the back of Central Park and arrival of the Kings. Great picture of Steve Boxall.

Then a whole page in the sports section with an interview with Steve, a profile of all the riders, and an interview with Team Manager John Sampford as well as a Team Picture (which also appears on the front of this weeks Speedway Star).

Also in the "What to do" section for the Bank Holiday, 2 adverts.

The people of Sittingbourne and the surronding area know we are here.

Roll on Monday.

Hello Nikko,

Obviously, good luck for Monday and the rest of the season to all concerned at Kent Kings.

Having noted that there will be a number of 'attractions' on opening day, would it please be possible for ourselves, Retro Speedway, to join them by having a stand (table) inside the stadium on Monday to sell our magazines and DVDs? Just as a one-off, at the opening meeting?

In exchange, we would be pleased to offer Kent Kings a FREE half-page advert in the next issue of Backtrack, which we hope will help boost attendances for the rest of your 2013 meetings.

If you would prefer to email me, it's editorial@retro-speedway.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Tony Mac

• Like 1

Many thanks, Neil, for getting back to me and smoothing the way for us to be there so efficiently.

We are very much looking forward to being part of what promises to be a great and historic day - the first new speedway track to open in Kent since Canterbury's sad closure in 1987 and the venue should be one the sport can be proud of.

There is so much negativity around the sport these days, so it's great to see a new venture getting off the ground.

Also good to know that our Backtrack columnist 'Super Simmo' will be among the Kent 'legends' on parade. No doubt he will be writing about the Kent Kings' opening in our next issue.

Looking forward to a great day on Monday, if you can make it, make sure that you come along and, if you haven't been to the stadium before you will see the result of all the hard work that has been put in by everyone concerned. Keep your eyes open for the "Margate Monkey" and come along and have your photograph taken with him, plus, for the kids, he has a huge box of Margate Rock to give away. See you there.

I too think this is a bit uncalled for, who knows what the future holds for any of the new batch of young riders or what records they might break. I don't think for one minute Boston fans were cock a hoop about signing ta certain 16 year old Darcy Ward but look at him now.

Sam Woods or Adam Kirby = Darcy Ward :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Who mentioned either of those riders equaling Darcy, I said the new batch of young riders. I personally prefer to support British youngsters and will keep my opinions to myself until they deserve either praise or criticism.

I love motorsport but as we all know it's dangerous and all I can say is thank you for all those who do have the balls to do it for our entertainment.

Edited by RumOldBird
  • Like 2

The Kings Raffle - 50/50 draw.

I can confirm that we will be running The Kings Raffle 50/50 draw on Monday, and every home meeting this season.

Raffle tickets will be on Sale on the day and will be drawn either in the interval or before Heat 13.

The total raised will be announced with 50% going to the Kent CTA Fire Kings riders for Fuel and Tyres.

50% will go in prize money. 25% to the first ticket drawn, 15% to the second ticket drawn and 10% to the third ticket drawn.

The club will take no money from this venture, this is to help the riders, so please support the Kings Raffle if you can.

• Like 1

Had a fantastic day watching the Kent Kings with the family today. Was very impressed with Ben Morley and Steve Boxall, they will both score highly this season.

Looking forward to getting back down Central Park Stadium next week for the IOW fixture. Monday is my new favourite day of the week :)

Congrats to all at Kent Kings for getting a new club up and running. Good day meeting up with old friends. Just a few gripes. Speaker system crap. I was on 3/4 bend and couldn't hear a thing, got no results and no info as to what was going on. Even people I spoke to that were in the main stand didn't hear everything. Track conditions, especially 3rd bend, spoilt what could have been good racing. Lost the top surface quickly and became very rutted. No one allowed near the riders viewing area, the kids love to see the riders off track. And last the jobs worth who told the lady near me she wasn't allowed her own chair because it was a danger in case of fire (on the 3/4 bend, come on). Then told the kids playing on the grass bank to get away from the fence for safety reasons (how far is it to the track?).

A nice stadium and I hope you do well but a few improvements please.

Any chance of results, times and team changes.

Take the point about London. Train link to Sittingbourne very good and fares reasonable but time is against people.

Can't expect people to do it every time of course, but maybe if people do want to come to the occassional meeting from the 'Smoke' that they take a couple of hours leave?

After all everyone does have annual leave: well, most people who are employed do anyhow?

Take the point about London. Train link to Sittingbourne very good and fares reasonable but time is against people.

Can't expect people to do it every time of course, but maybe if people do want to come to the occassional meeting from the 'Smoke' that they take a couple of hours leave?

After all everyone does have annual leave: well, most people who are employed do anyhow?

On the plus side the early finish is ideal for schoolkids.

• Like 1

I have just heard a rumour that Dave Mason has been let go, if this is the case then I think a huge mistake has been made. To do this after just two meetings on a newly laid track seems very much the wrong move. Okay, he hasn't set the world alight with his scores, but during my visits to the track I have noted the way the younger riders are listening to and taking advice from Dave, I feel that in itself is worth having the lad in the team. In my view its the wrong decision.

I have just heard a rumour that Dave Mason has been let go, if this is the case then I think a huge mistake has been made. To do this after just two meetings on a newly laid track seems very much the wrong move. Okay, he hasn't set the world alight with his scores, but during my visits to the track I have noted the way the younger riders are listening to and taking advice from Dave, I feel that in itself is worth having the lad in the team. In my view its the wrong decision.

Rumour from where?

My original information came from the camp of a certain Tenerife born rider, this now confirms it. As I originally said, in my opinion a huge mistake. No disrespect to Benji, but as I picked up on, Dave had the respect and trust of all of the youngsters, he helped and encouraged them.