British Speedway Forum

Stoke 2013

vog

The only option in my opinion is Lee Geary.

Malcolm I know you read this, Lee is ultra keen to make his mark and has been one of the best riders in the MDL and during his time with Stoke proved he is more than capable of being a good NL reserve. I know that age is not on his side but you will not find a better rider to have in the pits to boost team morale and you can be 100% certain he will give it his all for every meeting. Common' Malc and Dave give him a shot

Malcolm I know you read this, Lee is ultra keen to make his mark and has been one of the best riders in the MDL and during his time with Stoke proved he is more than capable of being a good NL reserve. I know that age is not on his side but you will not find a better rider to have in the pits to boost team morale and you can be 100% certain he will give it his all for every meeting. Common' Malc and Dave give him a shot

I wouldn't say he is the "only" option. I'm still pinning my hopes on this being an elaborate con to get Rob Lambert in.

However, when Lee did ride for us, he never really impressed me. I know that sounds odd because he scored well at Dudley, but I was there that night, and the phrase "You gotta finish to score" was never more appropriate.

Still, whoever it is to be, I just hope they give their all. At times that is all you can ask.

I wouldn't say he is the "only" option. I'm still pinning my hopes on this being an elaborate con to get Rob Lambert in.

However, when Lee did ride for us, he never really impressed me. I know that sounds odd because he scored well at Dudley, but I was there that night, and the phrase "You gotta finish to score" was never more appropriate.

Still, whoever it is to be, I just hope they give their all. At times that is all you can ask.

Think you will not find a more dedicated rider than Lee, Vog. the guy is determined to make it into the NL. If I ran my own NL team he would be the first name on the team sheet. sometimes its not about a rider scoring double figures but what that rider can bring to the team. Ask the Long Eaton and Mercia viking riders what I am talking about :)

Think you will not find a more dedicated rider than Lee, Vog. the guy is determined to make it into the NL. If I ran my own NL team he would be the first name on the team sheet. sometimes its not about a rider scoring double figures but what that rider can bring to the team. Ask the Long Eaton and Mercia viking riders what I am talking about :)

All he has to do is ride for peanuts and Stoke will snap him up.

Don't be overly critical of Lee's rides at the back end of last season. Don't forget that most riders had been on track for many months getting used to the pace and the tracks, and the Lee then had to step in late on. It is not easy.

Edited by Great Central

I've heard speculation about Sean Phillips to fill the gap at Stoke? Personally I would love to see this Sean is only young (17) who's not been around the sport that long but has a great attitude towards racing and is only going to improve with regular league action. He has excellent kit and gives 100% no matter the conditions or circumstances. So why not give the kid a chance?

This sort of attitude is what is wrong with speedway ,OH you didn't fancy it this year mate never mind some other mug will fill the space until you feel like having a go then we will shove them on the sidelines for you I certainly hope he never darkens another teams doorstep , here we have a lad whose only pedigree is a few good practise sessions and a reputation from MX who was given a chance that loads of lads have been working towards and By him signing for Stoke he has wasted the managements time and taken away the chance of someone who was really keen to ride , or any of the lads who have already shown their dedication to speedway and are now on the available list because the numbers didn't add up while anybody who has owned an MX bike gets signed up . It's not a pity he won't be riding it's a pity teams don't look more carefully into who they are signing .

Agree with you Sir !

There are loads of lads not getting a ride

I agree that there is a long list of riders that still don't have team places and it will continue to be like that until the number of NL tracks is increased but that won't happen overnight, if at al, l in the current economic climate.

Absolutely correct gentlemen those who say there are very few are not on this planet.

There are enough in the borders and Scotland to form a useful NL side for a start.

Look at last season's MDL results theres another group and they are far from wobblers good all round riders in need of the development opportunities of team racing on a regular basis.

But running a team is not cheap even though it brings benefits for the Clubs who run two teams.

There is also a problem for thrid tier standard riders in the far south west although I am not sure how many potential riders are there.

I am not sure how these problems can be resolved perhaps two or three teams banding together like say Berwick, Workington and Newcastle.

Also Glasgow, Berwick and Edinburgh.

Three matches at each would just about cover the requirement and an intensive cam[paign to win public support.

But such activity has to be in conjunction with the guaranteed availabllity of places on a quota basis for Brits in the higher Leagues. Public sympathy is with that at present and such guarantees might persuade folk to attend third tier speedway. After all it is so exciting in its own right and any real su[pporter will have seen that.

Malcolm Vasey

Edited by Proud Potter
  • Like 2

So whats wrong with Robert Lambert then Kelvin?

You wouldnt find a more dedicated rider than him, who would be More than capable of being a Very Good NL reserve

Absolutely correct gentlemen those who say there are very few are not on this planet.

There are enough in the borders and Scotland to form a useful NL side for a start.

Look at last season's MDL results theres another group and they are far from wobblers good all round riders in need of the development opportunities of team racing on a regular basis.

But running a team is not cheap even though it brings benefits for the Clubs who run two teams.

There is also a problem for thrid tier standard riders in the far south west although I am not sure how many potential riders are there.

I am not sure how these problems can be resolved perhaps two or three teams banding together like say Berwick, Workington and Newcastle.

Also Glasgow, Berwick and Edinburgh.

Three matches at each would just about cover the requirement and an intensive cam[paign to win public support.

But such activity has to be in conjunction with the guaranteed availabllity of places on a quota basis for Brits in the higher Leagues. Public sympathy is with that at present and such guarantees might persuade folk to attend third tier speedway. After all it is so exciting in its own right and any real su[pporter will have seen that.

Malcolm Vasey

Proud Potter ( Malcolm ) , thanks for your opinions which are gratefully received .

To me Stoke need a successful season to help bring back the local interest in speedway ( crowds at an all time low , which makes my heart sink ) , and this is where for some the importance of young British riders development clashes with the need to win at all costs.

I fear greatly for my club and wonder how they can possibly survive with our attendances and seemingly lack of foresight in raising the sports profile in the local media.

We do need a team thats seen as successful , not a development NL club only riding in front of one man and his dog other than the arrival of the Dudley of course .

The longer the Potters dwell as a mid table NL team , the longer it will take for the club IMHO to get back to the good old days of Complin , Barker , Cunningham and many others who entertained us every Saturday evening at Loomer road.

I Iive in hope.

there are not many youngsters that are at a reasonable standard that havent got team places so i dont see the need for the over 30 rule as i say when these youngsters are godd enough they would take the places

Builderbob - you clearly do not understand the averages that are in operation in the NL to make the statement that if they are good enough they will get a place. With only 8 teams, lots of riders are getting squeezed out. That includes many middle order riders who have often proved themselves but may need more experience and sometimes a little good fortune.

These are some of the riders that are still without team places. Obviously some of them may not want a team place eg Jake Knight who has signed for Sheffield, and there is still Kent and Buxton to declare their full sides but not an insubstantial number sitting on the sidelines. The list doesn't include any on the Scunthorpe Amateur scene which I haven't witnessed this winter but I am sure that Richard Hollingsworth could at at least 10 to my list.

Jake Knight

David Mason

Chris Widman

Conor Dwyer

Danno Verge

Conor Coles

Danny Warwick

Conor Mountain

Mark Baldock

Liam Carr

Ben Morley

Scott Campos

Lewis Rose

Jack Kingston

Adam McKinna

Ryan Blacklock

Charles Wright

Benji Compton

Josh Bailey

Adam Portwood

Sean Phillips

Adam Kirby

Martin Knuckey

Adam Sheppard

Nick Laurence

Niall Strudwick

Sam Woods

Tom Woolley

David Holt

Freddie Owen

Lee Geary

Edited by Great Central

great central yes i do clearly understand averages but you have not understood my post

another thing wrong is those riders you have listed cant be a guest

I think that I have understood your post quite clearly - you said that if they were good enough, they would get a team place. Not true since there aren't enough places which Malcolm Vasey agreed with. Yes some of those riders can guest in the NL since they will be on the elusive "NL Emergency Riders " list which nobody has seen.