British Speedway Forum

Stoke 2013

vog

Carr should have been an automatic choice ahead of some of the others named. Bit penny pinching perhaps considering, as far as I know Carr lives in Berwick area? Are there still places at say Coventry and Buxton?

I think you have it right in the money area being the reason for Liam not being offered a team spot. I'm not stupid enough to say that his signing or not makes the difference in me going or not but these are the sort of riders that need to be automatic for this league and the type of riders I want to see ride. He made great progress last year and is primed for a better one this year. He has the potential to put more on his starting average than most in the league and if you are looking for a sucessful side then you need riders who are going to do this. Baffles me?.Good luck Liam.

• Like 1

I think you have it right in the money area being the reason for Liam not being offered a team spot. I'm not stupid enough to say that his signing or not makes the difference in me going or not but these are the sort of riders that need to be automatic for this league and the type of riders I want to see ride. He made great progress last year and is primed for a better one this year. He has the potential to put more on his starting average than most in the league and if you are looking for a sucessful side then you need riders who are going to do this. Baffles me?.Good luck Liam.

I can't see it being money, I just think it was a case of his average wasn't right. On a 3.61, you either have to build to have him at reserve, or build stronger at the top end as you are only going to be using 9.61 on your bottom 3. If we had signed him in place of Chessell (The only rider he could replace in our line up) people would potentially complain that we had wasted around a point in team building, putting us on the back foot. I hope he gets a club, as he is a rider with a lot of potential who will become a fan favourite wherever he goes.

I can't see it being money, I just think it was a case of his average wasn't right. On a 3.61, you either have to build to have him at reserve, or build stronger at the top end as you are only going to be using 9.61 on your bottom 3. If we had signed him in place of Chessell (The only rider he could replace in our line up) people would potentially complain that we had wasted around a point in team building, putting us on the back foot. I hope he gets a club, as he is a rider with a lot of potential who will become a fan favourite wherever he goes.

Malcolm's comments elsewhere make me wonder about the money side of it as he talks about the areas in the country needing teams to cut down on the travelling of some riders (including Liam). It is incredibly hard to put together a team and views will always vary but for me a rider at 3.61 that could, I think achieve a 6 point if not a little more is better than a 4.something rider that on past seasons not really put too much to his average. Of course Luke could explode this year and turn into the rider he has promised to be. For me though, Luke gates and then gets caught, if that can be sorted then he will do the job. I know we have to use all the points available if possible but only if those points are ones that can be increased over the year. A 4.5 man that still is a 4.5 at the end of the year really doesn't benefit us. It's all thoughts at this time of the year and I'm sure we all will be behind anyone who pulls the Potters race jacket on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hes quit speedway, to concentrate on motox. Probably seen the state of the loomer road track and thought he'd may as well do motox!

No! Rob Grant is looking for a team place...

I think even Malc would struggle to get a 6 point man into a 3 point slot. James McBain was spoken of as a replacement. Is he a 3 point man?

Local radio says that he has retired from speedway to concentrate on moto-x. I thought you had to ride first to be able to retire. Oh, by the way, I can announce that I have retired from riding speedway :lol:

Pity that he isn't going to be riding as I'd heard good things about him. Maybe he will give speedway a go at some point.

I think even Malc would struggle to get a 6 point man into a 3 point slot. James McBain was spoken of as a replacement. Is he a 3 point man?

yes. i think he scored 14pts from 5 last time he rode there think he would score a barrow load of points from reserve and double his average no bother rode last couple pl matches at reserve for Glasgow and was flying would be a master stroke for stoke i think

Edited by mac101

Stoke have 3.34 Liam's average is unfortunately 3.61 therefore Liam does not fit

I can't see any "non - 3 point" riders being able to fit into your team with only 3.34 to work with so why not go with Lee Geary who came in at the end of last season and did a respectable job at such a late stage in the season. At least he will get to the start line without retiring and given a chance from the outset will probably show considerable improvement over last year.

• Like 1

We really do have a side that is going to have the biggest ???? against it until the season gets underway. Luke completes that side of ???. We wish Luke well in the 5 stars of the Potters (should be 6 really but that's another issue). He has always looked good to me although he is a rider that you expect to break thorough big style but as yet has remained on the bubble. He has great talent that is given and I hope that he shows us that he can do it. I feel good about this side but I know the ?? are because it's seeing if the top men can regain the confidence that both need to make a sucess for the season. A few ?? against Ben as some tend to think that Ben has hit his level, I'm not so sure; looks more in Ben to me and I would not be surprised if his sortees in the premier reserve ranks don't get him a few points. Luke P again is a past Premier rider and I think that anybody that thinks Luke is past it in regards to racing should think again. I do think we have missed a trick not finding a place for Liam Carr but hope he can get fixed up somewhere and I get the chance to see him race. Thought he would of been nailed on for Stoke this year. Much debate on if this side is good enough or not but we will only know when it takes to the track.

I think that you are right here. Smarty was a top rider at this level but the injuries he suffered in 2011 were horrific and when I saw him last season at Redcar he was nowhere near the rider of 2010. Hughes, too, was a top rider at this level for Plymouth but his last couple of seasons have been poor. I don't rate Chessell highly and the strange choice is Tedham. Someone over 30 on a 3.00 in the NDL ? Is that a first ?

Reade was a certainty and his performances last year were both amazing and absolutely justified the faith that Stoke showed in him in 2011. Its a pity that more tracks don't follow their example and instead of booting out British youngsters after a couple of poor scores give them a reasonable run.

Priest is better than that average and a good signing.

If Smart and Hughes get back to where they were (and I don't think that is at all unreasonable) Stoke will be a handful for anyone.

I think that you are right here. Smarty was a top rider at this level but the injuries he suffered in 2011 were horrific and when I saw him last season at Redcar he was nowhere near the rider of 2010. Hughes, too, was a top rider at this level for Plymouth but his last couple of seasons have been poor. I don't rate Chessell highly and the strange choice is Tedham. Someone over 30 on a 3.00 in the NDL ? Is that a first ?

Reade was a certainty and his performances last year were both amazing and absolutely justified the faith that Stoke showed in him in 2011. Its a pity that more tracks don't follow their example and instead of booting out British youngsters after a couple of poor scores give them a reasonable run.

Priest is better than that average and a good signing.

If Smart and Hughes get back to where they were (and I don't think that is at all unreasonable) Stoke will be a handful for anyone.

You doing the track reviews again this year m8 :D

Kev

• Like 2