British Speedway Forum

Edinburgh Champions 2013 ? 😄

sad to read an article like that . if the truth were known , most forms of entertainment in sport are struggling at this moment in time . football,rugby etc. hope the monarchs and every other speedway club survives its cash crises and comes out smelling of roses. we at workington would give our right arms to have had a promoter like jdc.

That article is just his opinion.

Hope the Monarchs keep going; go as often as i can [11 times this season] Sadly i dont think this will be the last team to have doubts maybe a move closer to Edinburgh would work.With Glasgow hoping to run on a Friday maybe that had something to do with JDC decision

What a stupid comment. These prats at the BSPA have reaped what they have sown and fans have had enough of being taken for mugs, which is why the sport is on its last legs.

To say its up to the fans to save it is a joke.

Agree with your sentiments about the sport.

Speedway is in the same boat as everyone else, especially in a recession. When I hear about some of the money spent on engine tuning alone, I can't help but think someone somewhere needs to a have a reality check. And if lower crowds forces the issue then all well and good. Speedway can't keep playing on the heart strings of supporters and producing the begging bowl continually. Sponsors too deserve a fairer crack of the whip, as the majority in my opinion get a poor return on their investment and could easily get more elsewhere.

It's not for the supporters to bail speedway out, it's for the promoters and riders to put on a show that's value for money.

• Like 2

Hope the Monarchs keep going; go as often as i can [11 times this season] Sadly i dont think this will be the last team to have doubts maybe a move closer to Edinburgh would work.With Glasgow hoping to run on a Friday maybe that had something to do with JDC decision

Dont think anything Glasgow do really affects Monarchs,I normally try take in 3-4 meetings a season at Armadale and have commented on how small the crowds have got in the last few seasons its the same story at most track IMO .Monarchs are a well run club but like many others there is only so much money you can throw at it .Unless the Directors have something up their sleeve I can't see much hope of Speedway returning to Edinburgh(city) before the start of next season though.Hope they find a way to survive. Edited by Fromafar

If guys like John have had enough it's time for the B.S.P.A. to wake up and smell the coffee.

And how is the BSPA going to control the weather.

• Like 1

And how is the BSPA going to control the weather.

Typical post from you.We have had weather since time began,sometimes it might have been better or worse than now,but we have never had better technology than now.So what has been done to make tracks raceable in poor weather or protect tracks since say the 1960s when meetings used to be run in pretty poor weather and Briggo was saying developments need to be made to make tracks "all weather" ?????

• Like 1

Typical post from you.We have had weather since time began,sometimes it might have been better or worse than now,but we have never had better technology than now.So what has been done to make tracks raceable in poor weather or protect tracks since say the 1960s when meetings used to be run in pretty poor weather and Briggo was saying developments need to be made to make tracks "all weather" ?????

Have to agree ,Health and Safety and bike technology and speed have made the sport a DRY summertime sport.No more boiler suited riders show their throttle control on a wet track.A wet track or any sign of rain usually means 3/4 of the riders don't want to know therefore fans have negitive outlook about the meeting being on and give it a miss.IMO Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 3

And if all this is so, what has JDC as promoter done to push / resolve the issue? Or is he exempt?

Edited by george.m

Have to agree ,Health and Safety and bike technology and speed have made the sort a DRY summertime sport.No more boiler suited riders show their throttle control on a wet track.A wet track or any sign of rain usually means 3/4 of the riders don't want to know therefore fans have negitive outlook about the meeting being on and give it a miss.IMO

Well i was talking to one rider involved in an important rain off and he regreted not being more voiciferous in trying to get the meeting raced,which seems to back up your view of things

Awful, awful news.

John Campbell has been the backbone of this club for years. Without him I truly fear for our great club. Armadale is not a venue with any real future. The promotion have been forced to raise prices as costs soar, between that and petrol costs and increasing car park charges Edinburgh monarchs is not always an economical night out. This is a problem of being so far out of the town.

I have been attending the monarchs for 28 years. The problem is, I see the same faces now , the same ones I saw as a kid. We are not bringing in enough new fans. Kids in Edinburgh cannot easily get to a match. The only way the club can move forward is with a new long term venue nearer Edinburgh. John Campbell cannot be expected to continually dig deep and save us, end of the day the man is just a fan like the rest of us. He has brought us great teams and saved our club on numerous occasions for this I for one thank him for giving me these matches.

I hope monarchs can find a future as I was brought up supporting this club and would dearly miss them if they were gone. Please don't let this signal the final curtain for one of the oldest and best sides in British speedway. I don't want us to end up another long eaton, Exeter or reading.

• Like 2

You mean as usual I am talking sense and being realistic. This summer has had the worst rain for 182 years, massive national flooding, and effected and ruined many businesses and severely disrupted other sports. And all you want to do is continue to be a stalker and talk rubbish.

Says a lot about you.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 4

This summer has had the worst rain for 182 years, massive national flooding, and effected and ruined many businesses and severely disrupted other sports.

Has Scotland had 82 years more rain than the rest of the U.K? It has been the wettest Summer in England for 100 years - since 1912 in fact. So I presume you're going back to the early 1800's? Remind me never to have a holiday in Scotland. :lol:

Edited by Gemini

Has Scotland had 82 years more rain than the rest of the U.K? It has been the wettest Summer in England for 100 years - since 1912 in fact. So I presume you're going back to the early 1800's? Remind me never to have a holiday in Scotland. :lol:

I just read it on another post and reused it. Does it mean we were dry then. :P