British Speedway Forum

Tai Woffinden

Where did I stand on Tai prior to the GP:

I was definitely a supportive of Tai getting the wildcard slot, but my prediction for where he would finish was 14th – basically expecting him to ride better than Harris, but score a similar number of points (due to the harder line up this year)

And this:

I wouldnt be surprised if Tai finished in the top 10.

in the nz gp - me neither

over the whole series - i wouldnt be surprised, id be frigging amazed

I think I would now amend that last part to “pleasantly surprised.” I certainly don’t expect him to finish top8 over the series, but would no longer consider it unthinkable. To do well in the GPs you need to be able to gate, and have good equipment – Tai showed in Nz that he has both, not something that could be said about Harris last year.

Overall, I was very very impressed by my first live viewing of Tai, in particular the way he chased Gollob hard first up, the way he kept his cool to gate twice from the favoured inside gate after the race was stopped first time out, and the way he headed home Hoklder in his final ride to ensure the semi final spot.

Let’s not get too carried away though - he had a decent draw, and this meeting along with Cardiff probably represented one of his two best opportunities to make the semis.

But he has shown he deserved to be in the series, that he will not be outclassed, and I would absolutely love to be proved wrong and see him finish top 10 this year.

Tai was excellent but its a little early for 'I told you so' or rubbishing people's predictions. With such a strong field I'd be keeping quiet for a few rounds yet.

Very much hope he can maintain that standard though.

Appropriate note of caution, but pleased with the start. :D

Tai's highlight of the night for me was when he outright beat AJ and Darcy, who were at the time completely unbeaten. He left them scrapping between themselves and he just flew off for the win. No pressure on him at all from either rider, despite how well they were doing before that heat

not true that they were un beaten darcy was on 7 and aj on 8 before that race. but still very impressive that he left them trailing not once but twice

Fair play to the lad, 1 GP down and he did well. 9 points each GP wouldn't be a disaster. It thought ti was a good 9 points too, often hasling the guy in front. 1 more point in the heats would have meant a better gate in the semis and then who knows. Looked fast, confident and rode sensible lines well. I may be wrong - that said, one GP doesn't make a series.... I was happy to being wrong this mornning/last night though.

Tai was excellent but its a little early for 'I told you so' or rubbishing people's predictions. With such a strong field I'd be keeping quiet for a few rounds yet.

Very much hope he can maintain that standard though.

Where did I stand on Tai prior to the GP:

I was definitely a supportive of Tai getting the wildcard slot, but my prediction for where he would finish was 14th – basically expecting him to ride better than Harris, but score a similar number of points (due to the harder line up this year)

I certainly don’t expect him to finish top8 over the series, but would no longer consider it unthinkable. To do well in the GPs you need to be able to gate, and have good equipment – Tai showed in Nz that he has both, not something that could be said about Harris last year.

Overall, I was very very impressed by my first live viewing of Tai, in particular the way he chased Gollob hard first up, the way he kept his cool to gate twice from the favoured inside gate after the race was stopped first time out, and the way he headed home Hoklder in his final ride to ensure the semi final spot.

Let’s not get too carried away though - he had a decent draw, and this meeting along with Cardiff probably represented one of his two best opportunities to make the semis.

But he has shown he deserved to be in the series, that he will not be outclassed, and I would absolutely love to be proved wrong and see him finish top 10 this year.

Good assessments, IMHO. I think cautious optimism is where we are currently.

Brum piping up after one round. Hardly surprising.

Fair point, but in all conscience your seeming obsession with Steve makes his KKS thing look like a mere passing fancy.

• Like 1

Tai's highlight of the night for me was when he outright beat AJ and Darcy, who were at the time completely unbeaten. He left them scrapping between themselves and he just flew off for the win. No pressure on him at all from either rider, despite how well they were doing before that heat

To be fair Tai had a great first GP. Hard to tell though if this was a good race or not because it was pretty much those on gate one in red pretty much had it sewn up. But overall a great first GP for Tai,

Good assessments, IMHO. I think cautious optimism is where we are currently.

Fair point, but in all conscience your seeming obsession with Steve makes his KKS thing look like a mere passing fancy.

It's not just Steve, he has an issue with all things Wolves for some unknown reason.

• Like 1

it looks to me like Tai's recent words concerning Peter Johns and Chris Holder are appropriate and he has found himself a good engine..........

he was looking super fast on the night which must be giving him lots of confidence for the series ahead.................. now we will see how much intelligence he can show on track..... something which Bomber did not excel in

Edited by spook

Tai has got off to a good start in round one, but in his line up anyone can have a good meeting as they are all capable and personally think the next round may be a bit of a tougher round for him. Overall I think there wont be too much seperating Tai from Zagar, KK, Iversen, Vaculik, Lindback, AJ and Lindgren through the season, So it's going to be tough, but he could finish anywhere from 8th-15th, but will predict he finishes around 11th.

HELP TAI

Letter from TAI.

Hello

I’m Tai Woffinden, a professional speedway athlete from the UK.

I race in the British Elite League for Wolverhampton Wolves as well as racing in the FIM World Championships.

I will be cycling 138 miles to raise money for Cancer Research UK. I will be racing at Wolverhampton on Monday the 27th of May and at the British Grand Prix in the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff on Saturday the 1st of June, I will be leaving Wolverhampton on Tuesday the 28th of May and making the 138 mile cycle to Cardiff ready for the British Grand Prix.

My route for the cycle will start in Wolverhampton then go via, Birmingham, Redditch, Gloucester, Severn Bridge, Newport and Finish in Cardiff.

The reason for me wanting to do this cycle to raise money for Cancer Research UK is due to the loss of my father Robert Woffinden to cancer in January 2010.

According to Cancer Research UK, more than one in three people in the UK will develop some form of cancer during their lifetime. This means almost everyone in the UK will at some point in their life be affected by the disease either by developing the disease themselves or knowing someone who will.

My aim is to complete this cycle in memory of my father and in memory of every other person who has been lost to this disease, by the 1st of June I would like to have raised £20,000 to donate to Cancer Research UK.

I will be collecting donations through Just Giving via my page at

www.justgiving.com/taiwoffinden01008

as well as doing collections at UK speedway meetings.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and I hope you are able to get involved in any way possible.

Tai Woffinden

• Like 2

Bit harsh, I always thought when in the mix, Harris always looked ok, but he was constantly hampered by being behind before the first bend.

I didnt call him stupid..... I said it was something he didnt excel in........

yes for sure Bomber's machinery & gating didnt help him, but that wasnt the end of the story IMO... amongst the top 16 Bomber's decisions were left wanting on too many occasions

• 3 weeks later...

wow wow wow there will be a few Woffy haters spewing tonight. The kid was awesome that can not be denied

Waiting for the comments `probably Oz now, Still doesn't deserve to be in it anyway, needs to keep it going to be proved right, still don't like him or he still isn't British`.

I am sure there are more but i had lost the will to live with most of them. :t:

Delighted the boy is sticking to those who didn't believe or thought he doesn't deserve his place. :approve:

This reminds me of when people were angry that Niels got the wild-card ahead of MJJ and then MJJ went on and won it.

BUT: Woffinden has been fantastic but it's only been 2 rounds, Bjerre was a world champion in the making after a couple of rounds a couple of years ago but then fell away, What happens when the bikes are not as fast is going to be key for Tai as that's when the likes of Nicki sneak through into the semi's and keep the points ticking over.

But the initial signs are very good and It can only help British speedway if we have a competitive rider in the GP's

Like I posted after the first GP, I thought Tai would struggle all series. I was wrong then and wrong again tonight. The lad was excellent and full credit to him, he looks more than comfortable in this kind of company.

I'm delighted to be so wrong, humble pie tastes great!

• Like 1