British Speedway Forum

Leicester Lions 2013

I will explain as i guess it hards for you too understand,but I know a number of people who got hit with shale last season who were hurt, does it not matter if shale hits a poor dog then also the noise of the bikes and airhorns can effect dogs the same as fireworks can, so really its not a place for a dog.

I bet you wouldn't mind one humping your leg!....might take your mind off the track
  • Like 2

for the dogs safety? What do you think will happen to it? Perhaps it will fight with Jim the Whippet.

more likely to fight with a Rabid mongrel ..theres a couple that hang around at BP one called neb and one called mrcts .

Edited by jim the whipper
  • Like 1

Strangely enough I agree with the no dogs policy at B.P. too because there is not enough room. If dogs were allowed I still wouldn't take mine - too many dodgy people around and lots of mud and horrible stones underfoot. :P I don't agree with a ban on dogs at some other more spacious tracks though. If they are used to speedway and are not a nuisance I don't see why they shouldn't be there. It is outdoors afterall. You can't just generalize about every dog because they are all different and an owner will know what their own dog is like. Lucy comes with me to Coventry, gets a lot of fuss and a walk round the stadium before the meeting starts and then goes to sleep on a blanket for the rest of the night. A lot of dogs are taken to Brandon and are never a problem. In fact Edward the Golden Retriever even gets a ride round on the truck at the end of the match. :lol:

...Arson fire.... ...why do you take your dog to speedway Gemini??

Missed this one. Because I've always taken a dog with me for the past 30 years. They're introduced to speedway when they're 9 weeks old and I've never had one yet that has been frightened or caused any problem. Main reason is for company on the journey from Leicester to Coventry as I'm on my own and feel safer with a dog if the car broke down. The one I take now is 3 year old Lucy and she sits in the passenger seat looking out of the window all the way up the M69. Perhaps she doesn't trust my driving and is getting prepared to bail out if I have a crash. :D

Edited by Gemini

So, hello from my remote island from where I keep my beady eye on things thanks to the miracle of wireless communication - still seen as something of a marvel in these far flung parts, when it works.

I see the Hunters will once again be in Division 2. If the current shenanigans being orchestrated by your neighbours the Peterborough Panthers are anything to go by, this is no bad thing. Are they trying to hold the rest of Division 1 to ransome? I can well imagine a heap of pig slurry appearing on their track overnight, conveyed there by farm vehicles from rural Norfolk and Wiltshire. Indeed, some would say their track has been formed mainly of pig slurry for many years now anyway.

You team could do very well indeed. The versatile Mr Taylor has explained his decisions most clearly, in my view. Mr Doolan is a direct replacement for Mr Karlsson and should prove to be a more chipper fella to have around the place, and on the track you must hope he will be the Redcar version rather than the Ipswich one.

Replacing Eklof with Roynon is like replacing grey concrete with glittering spandex. I just hope for your sakes that the wee laddie stays away from ambulances this year, otherwise there will be some re-jigging needed. I suggest he invests in some buffalo-hide racing leathers like we used in the 50's and 60's for better protection. That's if they can still be found. I might have an old set out in the barn somewhere if he's interested. Probably need a bit of softening-up though.

Now, I have been reading some assorted comments about your racing track. The versatile Mr Taylor seems to have located a new supplier of good quality cinders, after the local supplier proved unreliable. But to change the track shape in mid season last year would have been utter nonsence. They did that at Coatbridge one year in the early 60's and we took a long, long time to adjust. We were like the away team for the rest of the season. You see, once the track has been stencilled onto the home riders brains its the devils own job for a rider to get used to the same track, but a different one- if yas see what I mean!! No, no, far better to change the thing in winter, then give the lads plenty of time to re-programme their brains with practice sessions and meaningless early season fixtures.

So good luck for a great season at Blackbird Road, and you never know I could get the Norton out and head down there for a Friday night 'ere long!!

• Like 2

Yes, still eligible for free entry and she doesn't even have to limbo under the turnstiles as we are allowed in through the main gate. :D

I know some people have their own views about dogs at speedway stadiums and I have mine so we'll just have to agree to disagree. At least it changed the subject from moaning about the track or the promotion at Leicester so I achieved my object when I posted about the dog. I knew it would get a reaction. :P

• Like 3

you are correct TMW . a walk round BP on a race night and you can meet , the rose tinteds , anti hemsley brigade . anti popple mob . pro popple mob , the hope the track improves but dont hold your breath brigade ,the David told us so it must be true brigade , the Hemsley brought speedway back to leicester gang , the no he didn't a few people worked for 20+ years before he showed his face and took all the credit gang , do you have a clique TMW. ?

The 'only here for the beer and might even get a laugh' clique. Generally found slumped on the back straight fence program in tatters To whom The promotion, The team (win or lose), The track, The racing, centre green presenter holds little or no consequence. :drink: A gang of 1 basically

• Like 1

So, hello from my remote island from where I keep my beady eye on things thanks to the miracle of wireless communication - still seen as something of a marvel in these far flung parts, when it works.

I see the Hunters will once again be in Division 2.

The versatile Mr Taylor seems to have located a new supplier of good quality cinders.

So good luck for a great season at Blackbird Road, and you never know I could get the Norton out and head down there for a Friday night 'ere long!!

All this talk of Hunters, cinders, and Blackbird Road makes me come over all nostalgic. :t:

Happy, happy days, despite the short trousers :rofl:

Does anybody know if Adam Roynon will be fit for the start of the season?

Adam says in Speedway Star Interview this week that he's making good progress and will be ready by start of March

thats good,I'm really looking forward to seeing him ride for the Lions.

Adam says in Speedway Star Interview this week that he's making good progress and will be ready by start of March

Don't suppose it's really the right thread for it but it was sad to read in the Star of the on-going plight,16 months on from his accident, of ex-Lion John Oliver. Unfortunate for him that he was in such a weak team as his battling qualities and spirit would have kept him his spot in almost any other team i think. Made a great impression on my youngsters with his efforts at showmanship. I remember him making my kids day when they got one of his caps that he was walking around the stadium throwing into the crowd. A proper battler who deserved a little bit of luck. Hopefully he'll get the luck he deserves in the future.

Edited by volty
  • Like 2

Yes, still eligible for free entry and she doesn't even have to limbo under the turnstiles as we are allowed in through the main gate. :D

I know some people have their own views about dogs at speedway stadiums and I have mine so we'll just have to agree to disagree. At least it changed the subject from moaning about the track or the promotion at Leicester so I achieved my object when I posted about the dog. I knew it would get a reaction. :P

Well here's a first - quoting my own post. :D I just wondered if this link would work as it is a photo of Molly's first speedway meeting when she was 9 weeks old in 2005. http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

Don't think she looks bovvered does she?

You'll have to excuse me while I try out some technology.

Edited by Gemini

Main reason is for company on the journey from Leicester to Coventry as I'm on my own and feel safer with a dog if the car broke down.

Like many dog owners, especially those of advancing years, you really are barmy.

Buy a more reliable car, have it serviced properly and you'll be fine.

Well here's a first - quoting my own post. :D I just wondered if this link would work as it is a photo of Molly's first speedway meeting when she was 9 weeks old in 2005. http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

Don't think she looks bovvered does she?

You'll have to excuse me while I try out some technology.

Getting a bit off-topic now, but I like the photo with Molly watching the sheepdog trials on TV!!

• Like 1

Like many dog owners, especially those of advancing years, you really are barmy.

Buy a more reliable car, have it serviced properly and you'll be fine.

Thanks Shadders. Just need Squall now for the Darcy and Chris pair.

There is nothing wrong with my car and it gets serviced every year so hopefully it won't break down but you never know do you as it's now 11 years old. Would be nice to have a new one but hey ho we can't always get what we want and have to make do. I'm not barmy either and am probably a more kind hearted and thoughtful person than you are because most dog owners are.

I love my dogs and am proud of the fact I can take them anywhere - train, boat, walk round any city centre when on holiday and know they will always behave themselves, unlike some humans.

• Like 4

Thanks Shadders. Just need Squall now for the Darcy and Chris pair.

There is nothing wrong with my car and it gets serviced every year so hopefully it won't break down but you never know do you as it's now 11 years old. Would be nice to have a new one but hey ho we can't always get what we want and have to make do. I'm not barmy either and am probably a more kind hearted and thoughtful person than you are because most dog owners are.

I love my dogs and am proud of the fact I can take them anywhere - train, boat, walk round any city centre when on holiday and know they will always behave themselves, unlike some humans.

Hope you are not referring to some speedway fans Gem :t: