British Speedway Forum

Workington 2013

I duno why the local press are saying the fans have doubts over Harrison? Not the case with everyone iv spoke to, it's Aarnio the fans don't approve of.......tony Jackson was well aware of this to which makes the signing a bit strange!

You're a bit of a stirrer, eh?

From where I'm standing, Tero Aarnio is an honest-to-goodness little trier, and has been liked for it at Berwick, Scunthorpe and indeed Workington. The fans' doubts over Rusty are caused by his habit of going MIA.

• Like 3

You're a bit of a stirrer, eh?

From where I'm standing, Tero Aarnio is an honest-to-goodness little trier, and has been liked for it at Berwick, Scunthorpe and indeed Workington. The fans' doubts over Rusty are caused by his habit of going MIA.

I'm only telling the truth, the fans didn't want him in the 1st place, he was a panic/cheap signing! The face that he was basically very poor for us & dropping his average at the same time has done nothing to change people's minds! Unfortunately the people of Workington will not pay to watch a loosing side/poor riders, especially in the current climate.

Edited by skoobie

I'm only telling the truth, the fans didn't want him in the 1st place, he was a panic/cheap signing! The face that he was basically very poor for us & dropping his average at the same time has done nothing to change people's minds! Unfortunately the people of Workington will not pay to watch a loosing side/poor riders, especially in the current climate.

It seems to me they won't pay to watch a winning team either, because by no stretch of the imagination can last seasons team be described as losers. In addition, I'd say the Comets had a decent (if not very good) track and top class presentation.

I am hoping that a lot of people stayed away because they didn't like Denham, or the new promotion stoke up a new lease of life because there wasn't much wrong with speedway at Derwent Park last season.

• Like 2

I duno why the local press are saying the fans have doubts over Harrison? Not the case with everyone iv spoke to, it's Aarnio the fans don't approve of.......tony Jackson was well aware of this to which makes the signing a bit strange!

dont know who you talk to skoobie but the ones ive spoke to arnt too worried about tero and the only negatives about rusty is the obvious problem when he gets upset

no worrys over his riding abilaty

if tero gets back to his best he will be a good 2nd string

i do agree with you in another post that tero was a sort of panic signing but afterall rusty walked out he wasnt sacked and there wasnt many options at the time

It seems to me they won't pay to watch a winning team either, because by no stretch of the imagination can last seasons team be described as losers. In addition, I'd say the Comets had a decent (if not very good) track and top class presentation.

I am hoping that a lot of people stayed away because they didn't like Denham, or the new promotion stoke up a new lease of life because there wasn't much wrong with speedway at Derwent Park last season.

the bigest problem at workington over the years has been the promotions attaitude and not only keith denhams but his was the worst

so far the new promotion are doing a good job but they havnt had the stress of running the team yet lets hope they can cope with the problems they encounter and learn from any mistakes they make after all we all make mistakes but its how you react to them that counts

Is it not just fair to say that Workington fans just enjoy watching speedway? The years without speedway in a town, then a return and for my money some of the most passionate and genuine fans in the business.

I visited twice last year and from the banter I got from the car park guys, to the passion of the fans who were inside it sums the club up. The new promotion are forward thinking and have a vision. I think having a team on track is always preferable to having none at all. That was the fear in the winter for me as a monarchs fan.

Will the Workington team pull up trees who knows. But I would use the term dark horses with massive potential. I think Bach with a season under his belt after that horrid injury could add a point and the afore mention Tero; well give the guy a chance not so long ago he was doing pretty well at scunthorpe.

I know all fans want to win, and the financial reality for us all is that some weeks matches maybe are not always affordable, but the Workington promotion seem to want to address that situation. Credit to them I say.

I honestly think that Workington team will be hard to beat at home and surprise a few away from home. And good luck to them I have so much respect for the club and all those associated with Workington speedway

• Like 4

Thomas Armstrong continue their long standing relationship

Keith Denham delivers on promise to continue support

Comets promotion continue to look for key team partners

Thomas Armstrong continue their long standing relationship

Keith Denham delivers on promise to continue support

Comets promotion continue to look for key team partners

Well done to Keith Denham I have never been his biggest fan but fair play to him he could have just bailed out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi as a comet supporter can anyone tell me of a speedway club to follow in South Wales as I have relocated to Newport with work ?

Not in South Wales but in the South West yes and that is the Somerset Rebels but only if you can take all the excitement.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for info are there any speedway meetings mid week mon tue we'd Thursday night as I travel back to Cumbria on fri will still be coming lto workington to see comets sat nights

Sheffield ride on Thursdays.