British Speedway Forum

Rebels 2013

Everyone seems to want to retain 5 or 6 of this year's line-up, which is a natural thought after such a successful season, but is it practical? Most of the desired line-ups I've seen so far have 2 reserves with averages below 4.00, which was shown this year to be a mistake ( unless you can unearth another Richie Worrall ). IMO to be competitive you need at least one strong reserve, a big-hitting no.1 and a solid middle order capable of increasing their averages.

My heart would like to see something like:

1. Doyle (9.17)

2. Howarth (5.33)

3. Aspegren (6.25)

4. Wethers (5.66)

5. Monberg (7.26)

6. Newman (5.31)

7. Perry (3.53) . . . . . . . . .(42.51) Drat!

My head would like to see, however unlikely:

1. Doyle (9.17)

2. Howarth (5.33)

3. Nedermark (6.20)

4. Wethers (5.66)

5. Aspegren (6.25)

6. Newman (5.31)

7. Dyer (4.55) . . . . . . . . .(42.47)

However, as Cliffeboy says, the promotion have a habit of producing a surprise signing or two, and they've done pretty well so far.

Everyone seems to want to retain 5 or 6 of this year's line-up, which is a natural thought after such a successful season, but is it practical? Most of the desired line-ups I've seen so far have 2 reserves with averages below 4.00, which was shown this year to be a mistake ( unless you can unearth another Richie Worrall ). IMO to be competitive you need at least one strong reserve, a big-hitting no.1 and a solid middle order capable of increasing their averages.

1. Doyle (9.17)

2. Howarth (5.33)

3. Aspegren (6.25)

4. Wethers (5.66)

5. Monberg (7.26)

6. Newman (5.31)

1. Doyle (9.17)

2. Howarth (5.33)

3. Nedermark (6.20)

4. Wethers (5.66)

5. Aspegren (6.25)

6. Newman (5.31)

However, as Cliffeboy says, the promotion have a habit of producing a surprise signing or two, and they've done pretty well so far.

Hate to tell you this but Aspregren's average is 6.40, not 6.25.............

Have a great night to everyone who is going to the Presentation do down at the OTA this evening. I should imagine it will be a quite lively affair.I wonder who will be Rider of the Year errrrrr,I think "One Horse Race" is the answer.It will be interesting to see who picks up the other awards.I won`t comment on who I think should get the other awards as I don`t see enough matches these days unfortunately,good luck to all riders though, any award that is provided by the fans is always special.

I have worked out who should stay and who should go, but don't want to give my reasons yet as i don't want to upset anyone before the presentation night this Friday.

You might as well say its james wright he dosent appear to be on anybody's wish list for next year dosen't take inspector morse to work out who you mean

1. Doyle (9.17)

2. Howarth (5.33)

3. Aspegren (6.25)

4. Wethers (5.66)

5. Monberg (7.26)

6. Newman (5.31)

1. Doyle (9.17)

2. Howarth (5.33)

3. Nedermark (6.20)

4. Wethers (5.66)

5. Aspegren (6.25)

6. Newman (5.31)

Don`t agree with you on this one Barney.I think the secret to a good campaign is solid home form and then pick up what you can away.I think all of our guys this year have all been pretty consistent at our place, hence the unbeaten run.I think wholesale changes would be a mistake. New people will have to be bought in due to the averages as we are well over.You always will be gambling on lower ranked riders improving, that`s why I would go with Tom and a three pointer, remember Tom himself was about that at the start of this season. It`s time for Alex and Kyle to move up into the main body of the team,and they will be under most pressure to succeed.I would certainly keep Kyle,Tom and Alex. I think from the remaining guys, Doyley is a no brainer,if he wants to double up again ( please), and JBM,who I think would be top draw in a full season. Sam has probably talked himself out of a place, and Claus who started like a house on fire, lost a bit of form at the end, but he did have two bad bang ups.One thing you can be sure of is that we will have a competitive team again, watch this space.

Don`t agree with you on this one Barney.I think the secret to a good campaign is solid home form and then pick up what you can away.I think all of our guys this year have all been pretty consistent at our place, hence the unbeaten run.I think wholesale changes would be a mistake. New people will have to be bought in due to the averages as we are well over.You always will be gambling on lower ranked riders improving, that`s why I would go with Tom and a three pointer, remember Tom himself was about that at the start of this season. It`s time for Alex and Kyle to move up into the main body of the team,and they will be under most pressure to succeed.I would certainly keep Kyle,Tom and Alex. I think from the remaining guys, Doyley is a no brainer,if he wants to double up again ( please), and JBM,who I think would be top draw in a full season. Sam has probably talked himself out of a place, and Claus who started like a house on fire, lost a bit of form at the end, but he did have two bad bang ups.One thing you can be sure of is that we will have a competitive team again, watch this space.

To be honest i think that perry will fly next season, he can invest in better equipment and gain new sponsers with the season he's had with us and dudley hes bound ti have picked up some pay packets. If he also has another winter down under then that will help ten fold.

Ellis is a lakeside asset. With lakeside being a Friday club I can't see this happening

Don't think Adam is ready for double up role yet. A place in the premier will be more important next year, where though is the big question.

Some of the names I am hearing are interesting though.

heres hoping you resign James Wright for the 2013 season .lol.

Is there any reason for this sort of thing at the end of the season. By all means put forward ideas for people you would like to see next year, but why, the slagging off of certain individuals who at the end of the day were part of a very successful team. James had some very good matches for us and some very bad ones,his main problem was his away form which dipped alarmingly at the end of the season. A quick look at the averages will tell you that he recorded only 10 less first places at home than Jason, for one extra match, and also was our top second string rider finishing with an average just under seven. A return which would have maybe put him in the heat leader category in other teams..I was critical of him myself during the season but mainly because of his constant gating offences which were costing us points.My spies tell me that he is very much a confidence rider, so when things are not going so well he gets quite down.He has stated that he loves it at Somerset, which speaks volumes for his character,, a bit different to another rider who was recently released by the club. If there is no place for James next year I have the feeling the decision will be taken by him in the proper fashion and I wish him all the best wherever he goes.

• Like 7

Having been a keen speedway fan for over 50 years, 40 of them as a Falcons fan. 10 years ago i came to the O T A one Fri night just out of intrest and have been there ever since. I for one would like to thank the management of Somerset for giving me a really good season of speedway. Its not been easy with the weather etc but i think the track has been back to its best this year with some very good racing. The management has had to make a few difficult calls [ Sam Masters] but i think they made the right one. When you see what is happening at some clubs [ Plymouth ] we must be thankful to have a stable club with some great support

• Like 1