British Speedway Forum

Lakeside 2013

The BSPA won't be happy until there are no British riders in the EL, to stop Bridger like him or not riding in the PL will in the end force him and riders like him to leave the sport, if there is anyone killing speedway in this country it is the BSPA, for such a simple sport they make running it look very hard, i think the BSPA need to get together engage there brains and sort the mess they call British speedway out, it's British speedway so lets help British speedway riders ride in it, something they seem to put way down there list when they have there meetings of meaningless rule changes that nobody understands, the first rule for me should be to encourage home riders like most Country's do to ride in there league, it can't be that hard, but then again the BSPA make everything look hard.

Edited by Devildodger
  • Like 1

I wasn't too keen on Lewis, that's until I stood and spoke to him at length, he is a nice guy and realises that he has made some bad choices. I'm afraid he will not be the only casualty to British Speedway. It's about time someone started to develop the youngsters before its too late. I wish I had the money to develop an academy for British Speedway.

Its the tip of a dangerous iceberg really, Bridger is not going to be the only rider to be losing sponsors in the present climate. If Doubling up/down helps then British riders should be able to. They are where the BSPA's focus should be, stuff any poxy EU rules, like they haven't got other things to worry about.

• Like 1

Seems utterly stupid that a foreign rider can double up and earn a living but one of our own riders is not allowed to double down and do the same.

Bridger is not the first Brit rider to quit because he cannot make the sport pay. and won't be the last if this stupidity continues.

Let our lads earn a living FFS.

Doubling up and down for Brit PL and EL riders only. Allow trebling up for Brit NL riders.

Make reserves Brit only in PL and EL.

Weigh team building in favour of Brit riders and have a minimum of one Brit in each main 5 man body of a team.

• Like 2

Put aside the fact it's Lewis Bridger, instead look at it as 22 year old British 7 point EL rider. Really isn't good is it? Any Brit should be allowed to double up.

I'm going to quote my own post because 17 people have liked it, so I can only assume they agree with the sentiment.

Members of the BSPA, listen to Lewis, read this and see the support it has of the fans, think about it for longer than 30 seconds. Now do the right thing, allow any Brit who wishes to double up to do so.

And please, don't give us the balls about EU law, the Swedes and Poles put the Swedes and Poles first, let us do the same for once!

I wasn't too keen on Lewis, that's until I stood and spoke to him at length, he is a nice guy and realises that he has made some bad choices. I'm afraid he will not be the only casualty to British Speedway. It's about time someone started to develop the youngsters before its too late. I wish I had the money to develop an academy for British Speedway.

It's not just the youngsters guys like Stead and Bridger finding it hard to make a living is a ridiculous situation.

In Sweden AJ rides in 2 leagues so why deny Stead and Bridger the same in their own league set up.

The BSPA are truly one of the most useless organisations on earth after the UN and Torchwood.

I was never a huge fan of Lewis, until he signed for Coventry in 2010, when he impressed me with his attitude, and despite the trouble that has followed him previously, he seems to have grown up a lot lately, and kept his nose clean.

Would be a shame to lose such a talent to the sport, but with a child on the way, i can understand why he would be considering it, if he isnt making any money out of it.

As someone said previously, it would be nice if Hagon Shocks picked him up again, we all know they've had their fallings out, but Hagon was a big sponsor of Rico, and Lewis seems to have learnt a hell of a lot from Rico, and is desperate to do well for him

• Like 6

I'm going to quote my own post because 17 people have liked it, so I can only assume they agree with the sentiment.

Members of the BSPA, listen to Lewis, read this and see the support it has of the fans, think about it for longer than 30 seconds. Now do the right thing, allow any Brit who wishes to double up to do so.

And please, don't give us the balls about EU law, the Swedes and Poles put the Swedes and Poles first, let us do the same for once!

Totally agree.

But we know, sadly , that they will use the law as an excuse. And shame on them for allowing it.

• Like 1

I was never a huge fan of Lewis, until he signed for Coventry in 2010, when he impressed me with his attitude, and despite the trouble that has followed him previously, he seems to have grown up a lot lately, and kept his nose clean.

Would be a shame to lose such a talent to the sport, but with a child on the way, i can understand why he would be considering it, if he isnt making any money out of it.

As someone said previously, it would be nice if Hagon Shocks picked him up again, we all know they've had their fallings out, but Hagon was a big sponsor of Rico, and Lewis seems to have learnt a hell of a lot from Rico, and is desperate to do well for him

Excellent post Beesboybert

Ditto. Well said.

Perhaps if it wasnt the fact that he has upset many people in the past (albeit according to reports) then he may land himself a bit more sponsorship?

I agree, Lewis has burnt too many Bridges (see what I did there?) to gain any decent sponsorship from within the speedway community. It's a shame, when he doesn't let his arrogance and ego get in the way, he could potentially be a cracking rider

Really hope Bridger picks up a big sponsor. Maybe hagon would want to sponsor him again I know they fell out but would be nice for hagon to sponsor a Brit instead of Aussies and helping yanks out.

Think all us english sponsors should be helping english riders now and not Aussies and poles and such. bridger does have talent, just needs to grow up.

• Like 1

Think all us english sponsors should be helping english riders now and not Aussies and poles and such. bridger does have talent, just needs to grow up.

but when it is your money being spent sponsoring a rider wouldn't you want that associated with a rider that is professional and comes across well in media and public rather than how Bridger had acted in the past and part of the reason he lost sponsors

After having torn Lewis off a strip in the past for his antics, attitude and reckless riding have spoken to Him and without doubt He has changed a hell of a lot, I put it down to the impact of Lee Richardson. He did want to win the Memorial meeting so badly and not just for the new engine, it was obviously a life changer for Him in more ways than one. Whatever direction He decides to take this should be a wake up call to the BSPA and Sponsors to support our boys more now than they have done in recent years before it is to late, Doubling up, down for Brits. is a must. Members of the BSPA get your heads out of the sand and do something positive for once!

• Like 1

On hindsight, I'd actually prefer to have Lewis at Lakeside, rather than lose a talented Brit to the sport for good.

Hopefully, he has matured. Cookie could man-manage him no doubt and the Hagon sponsorship may just re-materialise.

But the crux of the matter is that he rode his nuts off to win Rico's meeting, and looked pretty exceptional. He DOES have a lot of ability and potentially still some untapped talent.

He may have made mistakes in the past, but come on! Were all of us on this forum completely 'whiter than white' during our youth? I know I certainly wasn't! Or did we all make mistakes, that we later regretted and learnt from as we matured?

So I take back what I said on the Lakeside 2013 post. If becoming a HAMMER gives Lewis a final chance, then good luck to him.

I'm beginning to think he wouldn't let us down after all, and may just be the sort of bloke we are looking for.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 4