British Speedway Forum

Lakeside 2013

Saw some great meetings at both Waterden Road and Plough Lane. Agree it isn't the size but down to the skill of the riders.

Bluepanther should take a trip to Mildenhall a small track where there's always been plenty of entertainment.

very few i assume as that track was as wide as my drive... :D

• Like 1

BluePanther,

Thanks for cherry picking the points made in my previous post.

I am not biased but if you truly believe that there have not been tremendous inroads to improve Lakeside, particularly over the past 3 seasons, then I give up.

As for your comments around our visits to the EOES last season. All I can say on that point is that you clearly weren't at our place watching your team's return performances; or you'd have kept schtum.

I would not go to Lakeside or Eastbourne if you paid me im afraid, already got that boring t-shirt...yawn yawn.

I would not go to Lakeside or Eastbourne if you paid me im afraid, already got that boring t-shirt...yawn yawn.

Is that a promise ?

Otherwise we would be looking for someone who looked like Benny from Crossroads. :blink:

Edited by AJ is King
  • Like 1

For somebody who followed Ipswich for the best part of 40 years, your preferred style of track seems to have changed radically in the last couple of years.

Edited by 500cc
  • Like 1

For somebody who followed Ipswich for the best part of 40 years, your preferred style of track seems to have changed radically in the last couple of years.

Not quite true 500cc, not been to Ipswich since the John Berry days on a regular basis. Kings Lynn and P'boro are my tracks of choice, have been for a long time.

If you haven't been how can you form an opinion?

Personally not a fan of Eastbourne but you do get some good entertaining racing at Lakeside and normally a pretty good crowd.

Been a few times, but its always been too slick, needs some dirt on it. Will agree, its better than Eastbourne.

Not quite true 500cc, not been to Ipswich since the John Berry days on a regular basis. Kings Lynn and P'boro are my tracks of choice, have been for a long time.

Been a few times, but its always been too slick, needs some dirt on it. Will agree, its better than Eastbourne.

Can I suggest keeping a spreadsheet of which of your identities have been to which tracks? Then you wouldn't keep tripping yourself up.

• Like 2

Fair enough.

Very unusual thing to start attending tracks away from your home town. What put you off from watching Ipswich for so long? I would have thought they were a pretty good side to support over the years, only really struggling in recent years. I can see today why you might prefer Kings Lynn and Peterborough, but for most of those years, I'm not sure many people would have made that choice.

Fair enough.

Very unusual thing to start attending tracks away from your home town. What put you off from watching Ipswich for so long? I would have thought they were a pretty good side to support over the years, only really struggling in recent years. I can see today why you might prefer Kings Lynn and Peterborough, but for most of those years, I'm not sure many people would have made that choice.

Family of four at P'boro is £40, the four of us at Ipswich is £56, so with a bit of diesel we can watch better racing in a better stadium, and its elite lge. I can be home from the EOES sometimes before my friend is back from foxhall when they both ride on thursday. Thats the main reason i gave up on Ipswich, the presentation is so slow, its painful. Its a choice based on good speedway rather than supporting a team. If Lakeside came and won at P'boro i would be on my feet applauding their efforts. :cheers:

Family of four at P'boro is £40, the four of us at Ipswich is £56, so with a bit of diesel we can watch better racing in a better stadium, and its elite lge. I can be home from the EOES sometimes before my friend is back from foxhall when they both ride on thursday. Thats the main reason i gave up on Ipswich, the presentation is so slow, its painful. Its a choice based on good speedway rather than supporting a team. If Lakeside came and won at P'boro i would be on my feet applauding their efforts. :cheers:

Family of 4 at Boro includes 2 juniors (12-15) 16/17 yr old / students are £13 each.

Foxhall has no family ticket but juniors only £4 so 2 + 2 would be £39 not £56.

Either you are making it all up OR cheating Boro by claiming 2 older kids as juniors on your family ticket.

• Like 1

Lakeside is the most underestimated and unfairly abused track in Britain, most seemingly basing their opinions on what it was years ago under Ronnie Russell. I arrived early for a match last season and had a chat with Gerard Richter and he confirmed that Russell wanted it slick and hard,while Douglas and Cook just want it for racing. You can tell.

That is true. I think it all started back in Peter Thorogood's time as promoter when there was not much money and he had a lot of clay mixed in the material to save money on having much dirt on the track, because in those days there really wasn't much money. Then when Ronnie took over he continued with that policy which really wasn't good enough for top league racing and to be honest I thought it was dire and couldn't be bothered with it myself in those days. It is much different since Stuart Douglas took over, especially the last 3 or 4 years, and the riders, especially Dave Watt seem to have some input these days. There is no doubt the crowds are much higher than they were in Ronnie's day which is a reflection of the racing.

Bottom line is that it is as reasonably sound financially as you are ever likely to get these days and speedway needs every club it can get to stay open so I don't see why people have to knock it, or Eastbourne for that matter. Unfortunately we always get the puerile remarks from the attention seeking KKS/blupanthe rcamp

Family of 4 at Boro includes 2 juniors (12-15) 16/17 yr old / students are £13 each.

Foxhall has no family ticket but juniors only £4 so 2 + 2 would be £39 not £56.

Either you are making it all up OR cheating Boro by claiming 2 older kids as juniors on your family ticket.

I have four children, the two youngest, of school age, come to P'boro as we cant leave them alone can we, cost £40... The other two, of student age, we can leave alone, and they would therefore come to Ipswich with us if we went, cost £56...with one or both youngest with grandparents[only 5 seats in car].May i suggest you try and access all the facts before accusing someone of cheating. Speculation and presumption are the tools of fools grasshopper. Edited by blupanther
  • Like 1

I have four children, the two youngest, of school age, come to P'boro as we cant leave them alone can we, cost £40... The other two, of student age, we can leave alone, and they would therefore come to Ipswich with us if we went, cost £56...with one or both youngest with grandparents[only 5 seats in car].May i suggest you try and access all the facts before accusing someone of cheating. Speculation and presumption are the tools of fools grasshopper.

So you were making it up as the 4 going to Boro for £40 are not the same 4 for £56 at Foxhall.

Its difficult to take into account all the facts when they are twisted to suit your side of the debate.

So you were making it up as the 4 going to Boro for £40 are not the same 4 for £56 at Foxhall.

Its difficult to take into account all the facts when they are twisted to suit your side of the debate.

There is no debate chap, thats my circumstances, full stop. Bottom line is tracks that dont offer family tickets are very short sighted, i know alot of family's that dont go anymore because of cost.

There is no debate chap, thats my circumstances, full stop. Bottom line is tracks that dont offer family tickets are very short sighted, i know alot of family's that dont go anymore because of cost.

Kids at £4 is effectively the same a 'a family ticket'.

Your scenario is whatever it is - no skin off my nose - but your facts are inaccurate in you comparison.

For the 4 that you say go to Boro for £40 it would be £39 at Foxhall.

Anyway this is not really the thread for this topic so apologies for the hijack!!

That is true. I think it all started back in Peter Thorogood's time as promoter when there was not much money and he had a lot of clay mixed in the material to save money on having much dirt on the track, because in those days there really wasn't much money. Then when Ronnie took over he continued with that policy which really wasn't good enough for top league racing and to be honest I thought it was dire and couldn't be bothered with it myself in those days. It is much different since Stuart Douglas took over, especially the last 3 or 4 years, and the riders, especially Dave Watt seem to have some input these days. There is no doubt the crowds are much higher than they were in Ronnie's day which is a reflection of the racing.

Bottom line is that it is as reasonably sound financially as you are ever likely to get these days and speedway needs every club it can get to stay open so I don't see why people have to knock it, or Eastbourne for that matter. Unfortunately we always get the puerile remarks from the attention seeking KKS/blupanthe rcamp

I don't think there is any question that Lakeside have stepped up big time since Douglas & Cook took over. In fact, only Berwick in my experience have improved more dramatically following a change in promotion(or otherwise) during the last few seasons.

Biggest crowd I saw last season for a league match was that for the Hammers/Eagles meeting at AE on Good Friday - I guessed at something approaching 3,000.

I suspect a few of those who attended the RICO memorial meeting might have changed their minds about the quality of racing at the track.