British Speedway Forum

Jason Crump To Step Down From Sgp At Torun.

Think the intent of the rule is after the 15 riders for the new season have been announced, then if one of the top 8 or first three in the challenge pull out, this rule comes into play. Not prior to them announcing the 15 riders.

Spot on.

Think the intent of the rule is after the 15 riders for the new season have been announced, then if one of the top 8 or first three in the challenge pull out, this rule comes into play. Not prior to them announcing the 15 riders.

We are not talking about the 15 riders but the 8+3 riders and they do not need to be announced - they qualify be effort and if they withdraw the rulebook is (for me) crystal clear.

What would be the difference if Jason waited 14 days before he announced his decision.... NONE - the rules must be the same !!!!!!

Edited by Danish Webmaster

SPOKE to both Tony Olsson and the secretary of the CCP at the FIM this morning and they both quoted me the regulations that determine who rides in the following year's SGP series in the event of (a) one of the top eight withdrawing and (B) one of the top three from the Challenge doing likewise. According to both there is no ambiguity and the ninth placed rider will replace Crump.

SPOKE to both Tony Olsson and the secretary of the CCP at the FIM this morning and they both quoted me the regulations that determine who rides in the following year's SGP series in the event of (a) one of the top eight withdrawing and ( B) one of the top three from the Challenge doing likewise. According to both there is no ambiguity and the ninth placed rider will replace Crump.

But what did you think about the rule, now that you have read it? Its 077.8.5 and starts on page 23.

Olsson and Gombeaud can both get it wrong too...

HAVE just read it ... but believe that only applies if a rider WITHDRAWS having previously stated his intention to compete.

Crump has not and will not enter the 2013 competition and, as the SGP series takes precedence over the Challenge, the rider placed ninth will move up in the official standings and therefore take his place.

I do agree that it could be drafted with more clarity but the FIM are in no doubt and the ninth placed rider will get the slot.

Crump has not and will not enter the 2013 competition and, as the SGP series takes precedence over the Challenge, the rider placed ninth will move up in the official standings and therefore take his place.

Where do you get all that from? You're making it up. Quote rules.

HAVE just read it ... but believe that only applies if a rider WITHDRAWS having previously stated his intention to compete.

I do agree that it could be drafted with more clarity but the FIM are in no doubt and the ninth placed rider will get the slot.

I just read the track racing appendix book and it's the same: both books talk about the qualified substitutes list. Haven't seen though, how that list is compiled!

But going by how it's been done for a few years now, it's the top8+x amount of qualifiers from challenge. Substitutes come from the challenge in the order they finished in it. Just like Peter Ljung was probably 9th in Vetlanda last year, but the first on list to jump on board.

What is ridiculous is Jason says now he won't ride and no 9 takes precedence over a GP challenge qualifier.If he says he will ride and in a few weeks time the riders are announced then he says he won't ride and no 4 in the qualifier takes precedence :blink: That makes sense

NONSENSE - if Nicki P & Holder will not ride in 2013 will Hancock move up in the official standings and become Champ ???? No. 1 to 8 qualifies the rest have to do the Challange or hope for a wild card

And don't say we don't know rules for next year . the qualification is held in 2012 and the rulebook has to be the one to be found on the FIM website (sorry AJ)

NONSENSE - if Nicki P & Holder will not ride in 2013 will Hancock move up in the official standings and become Champ ???? No. 1 to 8 qualifies the rest have to do the Challange or hope for a wild card

And don't say we don't know rules for next year . the qualification is held in 2012 and the rulebook has to be the one to be found on the FIM website (sorry AJ)

Well put! :approve:

Where do you get all that from? You're making it up. Quote rules.

I AM not making anything up. I am just telling you what the FIM interpretation of their own rules is. By retiring and not entering the 2013 SGP series Crump will be deemed not to have qualified.

I am not defending the way the rules are worded but the fact is that he will be replaced by the ninth placed rider.

I AM not making anything up. I am just telling you what the FIM interpretation of their own rules is. By retiring and not entering the 2013 SGP series Crump will be deemed not to have qualified.

I am not defending the way the rules are worded but the fact is that he will be replaced by the ninth placed rider.

AND the fact that Jason will not ride in 2013 obviously doesn't mean his record and placing this year is expunged. No one has suggested that the final placings are changed.

AND the fact that Jason will not ride in 2013 obviously doesn't mean his record and placing this year is expunged. No one has suggested that the final placings are changed.

I'm going to bed now and you lot will keep going on for the next three hours. The part in bold is the problem, according to the rulebook the ninth rider does not qualify. NOTHING in the rulebook suggests he would.

And yes, the SGP rulebook talks of him, not her... :lol: or a person.

I am slightly shocked by this, I thought Crumpie was still good for another season in the GP, but you cant blame him for wanting to calling it a day whilst he was still at the top. Not everyone's favourite over the years, but he was one of the best speedway riders ever, and he will be a loss to the GP series.

AJ is a suitable replacement though. As for suggesting Harris could take his place, sorry but no. I am a huge Chris Harris fan, on his day he is a fab racer, that can battle with anyone, but he as simply not done it this season and not really last season either. I would love to see Christ take a year out and then earn his way back to Cardiff and back through the GP challenge into the 2014 series all fresh and ready to try again.

Well this SUCKS. I've followed Crump since he started out (We're the same age), and he's the only rider I've consistently and emphatically rooted for each and every time. Leigh Adams was the next closet. I guess time is catching up and I'm seeing my heroes getting old too.

The sad part is, I haven't seen anyone yet that I feel the same way about. There's plenty of good riders, but none of them stir the same loyalty. Personally, I'd much rather have seen a certain Polish rider of intedertiminate manliness leave the sport. (I appreciate the guys talent on the bike, it's his attitude, demeanour and behaviour that leaves a sour taste)

Good luck Jase, come back to the UK to ride and we'll see you right.

jason is an ultra proffessional legend of the sport , he was always there at the SRA meetings and has great knowledge and care for the sport , he is a credit to the GP,s ,he has nothing left to prove and will be missed in future GP,s, hope we see him in british league racing again before he quits speedway altogether

Leigh Adams finished about 11th so it's entirely irrelevant.

Rune was 7th and Kenneth 8th, nobody was moved up. Scott was 15th by a bloody long way.

Edit> I see them Wikipedia

links confirm what I thought/remembered.

Edit 2 > When Billy Hamill retired, Hans Andersen, first reserve replaced him. He was first reserve as the top non-qualifier in the GP qualifier. No other top 8 riders have ever retired apart from Hans Nielsen.

Edited by SCB