British Speedway Forum

Ashley Jones Memorial Trophy, Norfolk Arena 26/09/12

Going to be a bit chilly round the Arena tonight so we'll cancel the kilt wearing plans! :rofl:

Look forward to catching up with everyone for my very last speedway presentation duty at the Norfolk Arena.

Take messages and all that jazz via twitter @mikebspeedway

No farewell meeting = no farewell. See you next season Mike :party:

• Like 1

Strange old weather tonight, my 16 mile journey was dry up to the hardwick roundabout and then its poured from there to the stadium. On the way home I went through four or five pockets of very localised steady rain broken up by bone dry road!

Will the meeting be re-staged this season ? One thing I noticed was it would have been a very poor crowd I'm going by how many cars was in the car park before it was called off I'd not blame the Chapmans if they scrapped this meeting this season have too say a poor line up = poor crowd and it was a poor line up and people vote with there feet .

Start 2013 season with a line up for this meeting that would do Ashley proud .

Have to say that I was quite looking forward to this tonight, it was a fairly even field which was difficult to pick a winner from. Had the potential to be a very good meeting. I don't think calling the line up 'poor' is particularly respectful to those taking part.

I'd agree though that this meeting shoyuld be the first one of the 2013 season if its not rescheduled for this year.

Have to say that I was quite looking forward to this tonight, it was a fairly even field which was difficult to pick a winner from. Had the potential to be a very good meeting. I don't think calling the line up 'poor' is particularly respectful to those taking part.

I'd agree though that this meeting shoyuld be the first one of the 2013 season if its not rescheduled for this year.

well it was a poor line up some haven't even got a team place in the PL so I'm sorry it was poor and Ashley deserves better in my mind .

Ash was no EL snob ;) I'd layabet that Ash would have been chuffed to bits to think we still think of him, riders still ride in his honour whether they be at NL, PL or EL level and that fans turn up to watch them do their stuff. I, too, was looking forward to the meeting, it would have been interesting to see the riders in the line up, all riders should be (even Fisher but I'll let others do that haha) admired for racing speedway, it's not as easy as some make it look. As always it would have been a time to remember Ash racing at Lynn, remember what a great guy he was, remember his 4th bend passes, remember his team riding with Kev Doolan, remember the great team spirit the Stars had that year, remember how things were looking so good for his next season in GB when he was dealt that cruel card on 13th November 2005 :(

RIP Ashley Jones

Ash was no EL snob ;) I'd layabet that Ash would have been chuffed to bits to think we still think of him, riders still ride in his honour whether they be at NL, PL or EL level and that fans turn up to watch them do their stuff. I, too, was looking forward to the meeting, it would have been interesting to see the riders in the line up, all riders should be (even Fisher but I'll let others do that haha) admired for racing speedway, it's not as easy as some make it look. As always it would have been a time to remember Ash racing at Lynn, remember what a great guy he was, remember his 4th bend passes, remember his team riding with Kev Doolan, remember the great team spirit the Stars had that year, remember how things were looking so good for his next season in GB when he was dealt that cruel card on 13th November 2005 :(

RIP Ashley Jones

Well said Trees, but i do agree with Haza in that a better quality line-up would attract more punters and in turn create more revenue for Ashley's charity.

No disrespect at all to the riders invited btw, they would probably have provided some good racing - i just think bigger names would attract bigger crowds.

Oh and i say again - Kevin Doolan should be one of them..... :approve:

• Like 1

well it was a poor line up some haven't even got a team place in the PL so I'm sorry it was poor and Ashley deserves better in my mind .

Ashley deserves better ? or you? are your comments completely altruistic or maybe an excuse for you to see top names. Once again how do you expect riders to get competitive meetings 'pricelss'. Although I wasn't aware of AJ and his prowess even he would have been scratching around for chances at some stage. Shame it was rained off !!!

Edited by TMW

Ashley deserves better ? or you? are your comments completely altruistic or maybe an excuse for you to see top names. Once again how do you expect riders to get competitive meetings 'pricelss'. Although I wasn't aware of AJ and his prowess even he would have been scratching around for chances at some stage. Shame it was rained off !!!

well I'd have thought a rider that lost his life deserves a good line at least some top PL riders I,m not saying it should be a line up full of Gp stars I never said that but to put riders that can't even hold down a PL team place is taking the pee to Ashley memory I think .

Any one that knows me will tell I don't need any excuse to see top riders I see them regular not just at Kings Lynn but hey sunshine you don't know that lol lol

well I'd have thought a rider that lost his life deserves a good line at least some top PL riders I,m not saying it should be a line up full of Gp stars I never said that but to put riders that can't even hold down a PL team place is taking the pee to Ashley memory I think .

Any one that knows me will tell I don't need any excuse to see top riders I see them regular not just at Kings Lynn but hey sunshine you don't know that lol lol

If you knew me you would know that 'sunshine' does not describe me either :rolleyes:

RIP AJ

some fans might have wanted a better line up but who is going to pay for it. the sport is skint and individual meetings are a thing of the past. i just hope lee richardson's memorial at lakeside tomorrow gets a decent crowd, i will be there to support it.

Clearly the top riders didn't want to ride for less to rememember a fallen collegue. I'm sure a fair bit of the takings would go to charity. The Chapmans may have their faults but to cash in on a riders memory is not one of them so why is the onus not on the riders to ride

Well to me the line up was a mixture of some of the brightest PL talent around at the moment and some Lynn riders from our PL days, plus a couple of our most promising Young Stars. Would have been a good meeting and probably more entertaining than half of the GP's this year. Maybe some bigger PL names would have put a few more on the gate, maybe not but its difficult to get riders interested in individual events nowadays. In any case the weather must have put many off as it has for much of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Oi. Ash would have a laugh though - this meeting has been rained out in England, and put off because of bushfire here in Oz previously. Lucky we don't have speedway tracks at the base of volcanoes!