British Speedway Forum

Swindon 2013

Thats a really interesting side hyabb17. Probably too many Poles for most of the guys on here.

I would have both Maciej and Gregorz as they are capable of adding a point on their averages. I would however include Steady at reserve. Him and Zengi at reserve would clean up. Moreover, i could foresee some different personel at reserve most months throughout the season. Kid Morris, Klindt maybe.

2013 is an excellent opportunity for the club to attract more sponsors and fans through the turnstiles. I am surprised they didn't hold last nights forum in a larger venue. Furthermmore, it was hardly publicised very well either. I am sure they could have made more money for the club last night.

The club must really push on with advertising the new season to the public of Swindon and Wiltshire. They should 'piggy back' on every commercial opportunity. Roadshows, School drop in sessions, Radio, TV, leaflet drops through as many letter bxes as possible. Give me a thousand or so and i will ensure households along the A4 know about our sport!! The ELITE LEAGUE CHAMPIONS race most Thursday nights etc etc

What about staging some Sunday afternoon/evening meetings at the start of the season to initially attract the young children, prior to the Polish season starting? Once they are 'hooked' their parents can ease them into the later, Thursday evening start times.

Love the innovation showed with EXCALIBUR and the away colours/kevlars. So lets get the merchandise out early doors with the away colours, scarves and hats ready for the new season. Fans will spend money on that now! Christmas is coming!

Season tickets....lets give the monthly payment scheme another run. Sure it proved a challenge with the administion last time (mostly due to people not paying) but surely now with some more resilience, ths can be resurrected?

The club should be aiming for 1000 season ticket holders in palce before March.

The venue was adequate with nearly 150 there,(must be about 6x. the size of the Monk's conservatory), was an ideal venue for last night.

Should indeed be marketing the new original funky purple-coloured souvenirs. I have offered to hand out leaflets to the many companies/hotels/pubs/cafes/restaurants etc., in the area, that I call on as salesperson for Cross Street Radio Cars. Massive catchment area of millions from Newport-Reading along the M4 corridor, Bristol/Bath, Gloucester/Cheltenham. most of Wiltshire, for The Robins to attract new fans to Blunsdon.Sure many fans would volunteer their time for free to benefit the club.

Edited by beefy keefy
  • Like 1

Surely the object of the exercise is to find riders that will improve their average. No disrespect to JD but I can't see his average improving. Janowski has proved at U21 level and in the World Cup that he has got what it takes. Poland's attitude to U21's means that he did what he was told not what he wanted to. I also take the reference in the SS re Friday night visits to Coventry, Peterboro and Lakeside to rule out Doyle.

If England was so 3rd choice....why would he bother? He doesn't need England and he isn't coming for the money is he! Would you travel halfway across Europe if you couldn't be arsed? Somehow I doubt it.

Amazingly, Klindt, who has been around for years, who admittedly did well for us last time he rode for us in a truly uncompetitive side, but previously had shown nothing for years at Blunsdon, you think is a better prospect. On what grounds, his average fits??? :blink: :blink:

Team spirit is an ingredient to a winning formula but not the overriding factor. Ability to improve averages (Kildemand/Doyle) was the main factor along with the ability to stay fit and not be ruled out for any length of time. Something the 2012 team managed except for JD who was injured right at the death.

I simply don't believe that Magic will improve his average as much as some say & Kings Lynn also found out what an enigma he is.

I'd rather have a 6 point man who scores around that every meeting like Jason than a rider like Magic who is more up & down than a roller coaster.

Yes Jason might not improve his average but his attitude is spot on & that works for me.

As for Nicolai then yes it's down to his average but you're wrong as he's had more good meetings than bad at The Abbey before joining Swindon.

• Like 1

o

He did...but what about his other scores ER? One swallow does not not make a summer tho'. I never thought to myself whenever Wolves were in town that Klindt was somebody I would like to see as a Robin

I am not saying I wouldn't have him in the team but Janowski has plenty more scope and has performed on the larger stage and coped pretty well. People have an aversion to him just because he is Polish. The fact is he is a better rider than Klindt already and he will continue to improve.

Yep, fully agree. I have always been a big fan of Janowski. Probably the most natural talent on a speedway machine that i have seen for years. If you consider also, he was good enough to be under consideration for a wildcard in the GP's. In our team, he would sit snugly in the 'engine room' of the side.

For me, Klindt too is the kind of rock solid middle order man who can on occasions deliver double figures both home and away.

It's all well saying Magic is a bargain on his average the trouble is that he yet to show that in the uk, and he can be can as good as you like but if carries on rideing the sort of bikes he had last time then there is little point .

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

It's all well saying Magic is a bargain on his average the trouble is that he yet to show that in the uk and he be can as good as you like but if carries on rideing the sort of bikes he had last time then there is little point .

That's why I wouldn't have him back as no doubt he's a massive talent but is simply so unreliable.

• Like 3

You need team men like Doyley, Steady, Hansi, not individuals. Perhaps with the number of Friday tracks now in The Elite that might go against riders who ride for PL teams on that night and who could double-up(Doyley, Kid Morra). Dont like this doubling-up system with PL teams having priority.

• Like 2

It's all well saying Magic is a bargain on his average the trouble is that he yet to show that in the uk, and he can be can as good as you like but if carries on rideing the sort of bikes he had last time then there is little point .

Agreed. I am not saying he should be in the team but I would still prefer Zengi and Janowski to Klindt and Doyle.

I am certain there will be plenty of expectation from management too and those performances would not be entertained this time around.

• Like 1

You need team men like Doyley, Steady, Hansi, not individuals. Perhaps with the number of Friday tracks now in The Elite that might go against riders who ride for PL teams on that night and who could double-up(Doyley, Kid Morra). Dont like this doubling-up system with PL teams having priority.

Do they though??? Surely if your designated rider(s) is missing, you can call on any PL rider, of the correct average, to take his place!! Its not the same as having a 'named' double-up partner!!

That's why I wouldn't have him back as no doubt he's a massive talent but is simply so unreliable.

Crazy Robin, i don't understand how you define Janowski as unrelaible. His record of showing up is pretty good, both for Lynn and Swindon. Others have said they prefer a team man. How is Maciej not a team man? His team riding when he was with the Robins was superb for a 19/20 year old.

Stars fans on here have indicated he has continued in that vein. He is also committed, unlike how he is described on here. He took some bad knocks in the televised match last season against Swindon, but still came fighting back and top scored for his team.

He is well worth a punt in my book.

• Like 3

Crazy Robin, i don't understand how you define Janowski as unrelaible. His record of showing up is pretty good, both for Lynn and Swindon. Others have said they prefer a team man. How is Maciej not a team man? His team riding when he was with the Robins was superb for a 19/20 year old.

Stars fans on here have indicated he has continued in that vein. He is also committed, unlike how he is described on here. He took some bad knocks in the televised match last season against Swindon, but still came fighting back and top scored for his team.

He is well worth a punt in my book.

By saying he's unreliable I should've defined that him turning up for meetings is good but the machinery he rides varies from meeting to meeting.

I guess someone will know whether he brings his own bikes with him or it's provided for him & then that could be questioned.

The riders last season were there nearly all the time & I just hope we don't go back to 2011 & 2012 when it seemed a rider was always missing.

Maybe Magic will be different without under 21 stuff but I guess he'll have to give those assurances before being considered.

If I remember correctly Magic rode well when Zengi was in the team, but was inconsistent when Zengi was not riding. If they both ride it could be good, but is it too much of a gamble. Magic scores were inconsistent last year for KL.

None of the d/u possibilities have signed for a PL club yet so the main night they race is not yet known. Is the new d/u system going to cause problems with rider availability for away meetings on a friday when a few EL clubs ride if the PL club rides on a friday. Can we rely on bringing in say Seb Alden on a friday if we initially sign Jason and Nick, or Jason and Simon. There are just too many unknowns and options at the moment.

I simply don't believe that Magic will improve his average as much as some say & Kings Lynn also found out what an enigma he is

I'd not disagree with that, however I'd also suggest that no U21 commitments could make quite a difference to his league form, which to be fair was ordinary in all three leagues. Just personal opinion on whether you think its worth the risk or not.

Have to say that he never lacked speed round Lynn this year and like Swindon its a track where you can't hide with crap bikes.

Edited by Bagpuss

So Magic is in contention for next year then...how about this for a side:

Hans - 8.18

Morris - 5.78

Magic - 6.13

Klindt - 5.68

PK - 6.98

Zengi - 5.57

Musielak - 4 (if he's a 4) failing that Robin Aspegren or Dak.

Comes in at 42.32

Plenty of room for improvement & will always have a decent reserve.

Solid team - strength in depth, young determined riders, heat winners in abundance and two solid reserves at all times....

Surely the object of the exercise is to find riders that will improve their average. No disrespect to JD but I can't see his average improving. Janowski has proved at U21 level and in the World Cup that he has got what it takes. Poland's attitude to U21's means that he did what he was told not what he wanted to. I also take the reference in the SS re Friday night visits to Coventry, Peterboro and Lakeside to rule out Doyle.

If England was so 3rd choice....why would he bother? He doesn't need England and he isn't coming for the money is he! Would you travel halfway across Europe if you couldn't be arsed? Somehow I doubt it.

Amazingly, Klindt, who has been around for years, who admittedly did well for us last time he rode for us in a truly uncompetitive side, but previously had shown nothing for years at Blunsdon, you think is a better prospect. On what grounds, his average fits??? :blink: :blink:

Team spirit is an ingredient to a winning formula but not the overriding factor. Ability to improve averages (Kildemand/Doyle) was the main factor along with the ability to stay fit and not be ruled out for any length of time. Something the 2012 team managed except for JD who was injured right at the death.

I posted along these lines a while back in relation to riders capable of improving their averages. Yes, we should be looking at keeping the spine of last years team but only on the basis we believe the rider(s) has the ability to improve his average - I'm not totally convinced JD has that in his locker for a second year.

Why the hell should Doyley need to improve on what he did this year???.....anyone who thinks Janowski is worth a place in a side one year at a time over Jason Doyle need there blinking heads examining! Maciej Janowski couldnt give a flying you know what about riding for Swindon Robins...and before anyone accuses me of being 'Anti Pole' as someone previously alludd Swindon fans of being i for one would love to see Musielak in the side..and maybe Greg if the rest fits....

In any case although he may be on our retained list wouldnt we need Uncle Greg's permission.... :rofl:

• Like 1

Why the hell should Doyley need to improve on what he did this year???.....anyone who thinks Janowski is worth a place in a side one year at a time over Jason Doyle need there blinking heads examining! Maciej Janowski couldnt give a flying you know what about riding for Swindon Robins...and before anyone accuses me of being 'Anti Pole' as someone previously alludd Swindon fans of being i for one would love to see Musielak in the side..and maybe Greg if the rest fits....

In any case although he may be on our retained list wouldnt we need Uncle Greg's permission.... :rofl:

Couldn't agree more as don't understand why Jason has to improve his average again next season to be a succesful signing.

what are you basing your Janowski comments on?

He has appeared in the UK. Not gone missing or used lame excuses to miss matches. There are plenty of examples of riders where we could.

Doyle is a good rider. His PL average confirms that. However, we are looking for improvers not maintainers of their average and Jason does not fit the profile in my opinion.