British Speedway Forum

Swindon 2013

I heard they were told they had to buy a copy as they had already read it before the BSPA had decided whether or or not to use it.

Swindon have now released a statement saying they wont buy it but will wait until Oct 31st when they can have it for nothing. :wink:

The irony of a Poole fan posting that makes all this make sense.

NOT

If that's true then you'd have thought that they had plenty of time to get it written into the rulebook so that everyone was clear. Harkess never mentioned it here http://speedwaygp.com/news/article/2183/decision-time-for-panthers

In fact if he had then surely that might have found a solution within days rater than months?

Then you would have had nothing to moan about with your righteous holier than thou attitude that Rick Frost can do no wrong :rolleyes:

• Like 2

In my opinion, filling in the program is another reason why its difficult to attract new generation of supporters to meetings. Although seen in the past as a necessity and was looked upon as part and parcel of speedway, now, with all the new technology, it's not necessary anymore. each track should install a large screen that displays all the information you want to see. If you want to keep the race cards up to date, then download a completed one from the home side web-site the following day.. To plan to have a 36 page program is ridiculous. People who go to speedway don't want that. if they wanted a book to read they would've gone to a news agent. All supporters need is a small pamphlet, keeping them up to date with what's on. And you should be able to knock them out and make a profit on a quid......

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 3

each track should install a large screen that displays all the information you want to see.

Absolutely. There is a scoreboard at Swindon but it tells you sod all you need to know to keep up with what is going on. I guess the idea is to try and make profit based on selling programmes, but if ther sport was easier to follow without filling one in, I'm sure you'd get larger crowds.

In my opinion, filling in the program is another reason why its difficult to attract new generation of supporters to meetings. Although seen in the past as a necessity and was looked upon as part and parcel of speedway, now, with all the new technology, it's not necessary anymore. each track should install a large screen that displays all the information you want to see. If you want to keep the race cards up to date, then download a completed one from the home side web-site the following day.. To plan to have a 36 page program is ridiculous. People who go to speedway don't want that. if they wanted a book to read they would've gone to a news agent. All supporters need is a small pamphlet, keeping them up to date with what's on. And you should be able to knock them out and make a profit on a quid......

Later, Added on to the above. It is possible nowadays for each club to have a Wi-Fi zone, and to send results straight to supporter's Smartphone. Each club could even have their own APP. All these things would bring the sport into the modern era. If clubs wanted to attract sponsors to this idea then their logo could be seen on the APP. Loads of possibilities......... Just need forward thinking......

• Like 3

Later, Added on to the above. It is possible nowadays for each club to have a Wi-Fi zone, and to send results straight to supporter's Smartphone. Each club could even have their own APP. All these things would bring the sport into the modern era. If clubs wanted to attract sponsors to this idea then their logo could be seen on the APP. Loads of possibilities......... Just need forward thinking......

Thats about to happen ....watch this space for the first 'trial', although it will probably be on another club's thread!! :wink:

However many on here don't seem to appreciate how vital the revenue from advertising - not just in the programme - is to most if not all clubs!! All most promotions get is revenue from gate receipts, advertising and sponsorship. Things like car parking and catering/bars revenue will often go to the stadium owners or franchisee! So I would hope that all true fans do buy a programme at their favoured club.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Yeah, I appreciate the importance that is put into the program sales. and the much needed revenue received from sponsors in this way. But Speedway as it was once known doesn't work any more. we need to make it more attractive and bring it into the modern era. That doesn't mean you have to lose the sponsors, purely alter the arrangements so the sponsor can see the benefits. This is why the TV deal is so important. But there's loads of ways to sell advertising to sponsors, far better then printing an advert in a program that only has a circulating figure approx. 1000.

Absolutely. There is a scoreboard at Swindon but it tells you sod all you need to know to keep up with what is going on. I guess the idea is to try and make profit based on selling programmes, but if ther sport was easier to follow without filling one in, I'm sure you'd get larger crowds.

Think that programmes are always vital to the hard core supporter and that may well be in the minority these days.

However i see more and more people with downloaded team sheets these days and there are of plenty of `casual` followers who keep up to date by asking people next to them.

I know i get asked several times a meeting what the score is by people around me because i have a programme.

Clubs really should be getting on board with this and offer free (or small cost) downloadable team sheets because just to choose to ignore that some wont buy a programme and download their own is just putting their head further under the covers.

Keep the quality for the programmes and those who want to buy/collect them will be happy and anything more than £3 for a (traditional) programme is making it unsalable.

Going back in time, speedway was always about affordability. Back in the early 70's it cost £1.70 adult admission to watch the Stars and a 8 page program (16 sides of information) cost 10 pence. So the cost of watching the sport was 17 times more then the program. Now, the Program is £3.00 and admission is £17.00, are we saying the program is more important then the racing?. Soon , at this rate, it'll cost most to buy a program then it is to watch the racing........

Going back in time, speedway was always about affordability. Back in the early 70's it cost £1.70 adult admission to watch the Stars and a 8 page program (16 sides of information) cost 10 pence. So the cost of watching the sport was 17 times more then the program. Now, the Program is £3.00 and admission is £17.00, are we saying the program is more important then the racing?. Soon , at this rate, it'll cost most to buy a program then it is to watch the racing........

Just as well the entrance fee hasn't gone up and the same rate as the program then. I don't think many people would turn up at £50 a shot !!!

I think the Robins fans should start using the Peterborough thread and leave the panther moaners to carry on with their bickering about "The Rules" on here. It's all getting boring now!!!!!

It's like the Marie Celeste over there. :rofl:

• Like 2