British Speedway Forum

Swindon 2013

Well, I'm looking forward to the start of the new season which is nearly upon us...

Hopefully we will put those 'Dick Dastardly' Pirates in their place again.

I would also like to see those 'filthy rich'' Panthers shed a tear or two into their Muesli/Special K (well at Blunsdon at least).. :D

• Like 2

just because people mention it it doesn't make it a rule

i'll agree with your 2nd point,but I CAN'T see the BSPA M.C letting swindon getting away with taking batch on loan without reprecussions e.g fines or something, mind you I COULD be a 100% wrong

And why are journalists mentioning it? Lets face it, NON of us know if it is a rule or `standard` because the BSPA/MC like to keep as much hidden as possible..

It has cropped up so often, just where has it come from ??

You can put forward whatever drivel you want but the fact is that Batch signed on 1st March !

Which as many of us said would happen!

You can believe whatever you want but it is a FACT that he signed on 1st March

What i find quite comical is that some are quoting a tweet that was supposedly said as fact, yet those quoting a supposed March 1st rule are probably wrong?!

Show me the tweet and i will show you the rule. Both may have been said or are actionable. There is no actual link to either is there?

So both COULD be wrong or both COULD be right, yes?! :blink:

• Like 1

Well, I'm looking forward to the start of the new season which is nearly upon us...

Hopefully we will put those 'Dick Dastardly' Pirates in their place again.

I would also like to see those 'filthy rich'' Panthers shed a tear or two into their Muesli/Special K (well at Blunsdon at least).. :D

You can't surely be talking about speedway on the Swindon 2013 thread yerropes?

• Like 1

The way Swindon do business, they will probably want to borrow any points deduction from Boro because Troy is their asset..

I think Swindon acted in the only way they could. Peterborough were not going to use Troy, and I think its reasonable to say he wanted to come back to Swindon (but don't quote me on that!). Peterborough, as is their right, wanted a fee for him. Swindon held their hands up and said sorry, can't afford him right now, how about a loan deal? Peterborough dug their heels in saying they wanted to sell. Swindon, quite sensibly, after looking down the sofa's cushions and finding nothing more than loose change, came to the decision to hang on till March 1st.

All very sensible I think. A shame Peterborough just couldn't see where that was heading. Still, maybe they'll have learned a thing or two from clever business people come next closed season. Then they won't look quite so comprehensively outmaneuvered!

• Like 3

I think Swindon acted in the only way they could. Peterborough were not going to use Troy, and I think its reasonable to say he wanted to come back to Swindon (but don't quote me on that!). Peterborough, as is their right, wanted a fee for him. Swindon held their hands up and said sorry, can't afford him right now, how about a loan deal? Peterborough dug their heels in saying they wanted to sell. Swindon, quite sensibly, after looking down the sofa's cushions and finding nothing more than loose change, came to the decision to hang on till March 1st.

All very sensible I think. A shame Peterborough just couldn't see where that was heading. Still, maybe they'll have learned a thing or two from clever business people come next closed season. Then they won't look quite so comprehensively outmaneuvered!

swindon have only been very clever if there digging there heals approach actualy pays of/ team sanctioned without reprecussions

if they've managed to do that good luck to them,

Be interesting to see which of you is correct:

Do Swindon really think they've been clever and found a way around this one? There is no way after declaring he had to leave on a full transfer the BSPA will back down! And if they do, next year will be a farce, clubs will illegally talk to riders and sign them on March 1st.

Actually Steve0 if you read the 'announcement' it was stated that 'terms have been agreed with Batch'!! We all knew that from a couple of months ago. (please see deleted tweet - oh wait we can't, its been deleted!).

If the BSPA stick to their MC decision and Swindon attempt to go against it, then there is bound to be a punishment of some sort?! It probably won't be a fine, cos Swindon will argue that they can't afford to pay it, so maybe a points deduction or something.............?? :wink:

Edited by Crump99

Can't fault that overview from a Swindon perspective.

But, from a Swindon perspective, it doesn't explain.

1. Peterborough completed their line-up in January. That made Batchelor a free agent. So why didn't Swindon sign him then.? Either they weren't allowed due to a BSPA dictate or Swindon were using this for another motive.

2. If the 1st March is so cut and dried as the Swindon promotion claim, why have they continued to state the Morris situation is dependant on the Batchelor resolution.

I am beginning to wonder if there is more going on. Money appears to be Swindons problem. Perhaps knowing he had the upper hand, Batchelor was able to negotiate a higher wage on the 1st March. This may mean that Swindon no longer have the money available to finance the purchase of Morris. I appreciate that's total conjecture, but circumstances have changed over the winter. We know for example that Swindon pulled out of a potential purchase of Andersen.

• Like 1

I am, as most of you know a Robins fan through and through. However, I am confused by this "can't afford" issue as SWINdon have agreed to purchase Nick Morris, made an offer (rejected quickly by Peterborough) for Hans and (as many seem to forget) purchased Jason Doyle from Poole (before all these shenanigans started) only not to be able to use him this season, although he "figures in SWINdon's future plans." Only not to have the cash to splash on buying Batchelor. The club is one of the best supported in the country week-in-week-out and therefore should have a decent income stream, which must be enhanced by the sponsorship from Excalibur and the fact that people will want to support the reigning champions. Can anyone explain this to me in basic economic terms?

I am, as most of you know a Robins fan through and through. However, I am confused by this "can't afford" issue as SWINdon have agreed to purchase Nick Morris, made an offer (rejected quickly by Peterborough) for Hans and (as many seem to forget) purchased Jason Doyle from Poole (before all these shenanigans started) only not to be able to use him this season, although he "figures in SWINdon's future plans." Only not to have the cash to splash on buying Batchelor. The club is one of the best supported in the country week-in-week-out and therefore should have a decent income stream, which must be enhanced by the sponsorship from Excalibur and the fact that people will want to support the reigning champions. Can anyone explain this to me in basic economic terms?

No! Hopefully they'll take heed and save up during the summer to take him off our hands next winter before Mar 1. Not that they'll want to pay what he's worth of course.

Doyle was swapped for Magic

• Like 1

You need to remember as well that it was a very wet year last year (we had 21 postponements home and away) so that is bound to have had a major impact on cash flow - new sponsorship or not!

Why spunk a couple of grand away on pointless away racesuits then?

• Like 3

swindon have only been very clever if there digging there heals approach actualy pays of/ team sanctioned without reprecussions

if they've managed to do that good luck to them,

Think both Swindon and Peterborough can both equally be accused of `digging their heals`.

• Like 2

Perhaps the sponsors whose colours are erm purple deemed that as part of the deal?...in other words perhaps they paid for the suits to gain there good selves publicity and advertising.....'spunk' away...theres a new one on me! Btw they look terrific and they should certainly 'cream' plenty of extra wonga through Swindon using them.....despite what the Peterborough grumpers think about Swindon since Rosco came back the club has been transformed publicity wise and sponsorship also....what other clubs would be able to entice the likes of Oakley Forcefield Castrol uk and Under Armor?...the latter being apt considering they supply Wales RFU with there shirt sponsorship and now the most famous welshman Rosco himself with his rugby shirt lol

• Like 1

A couple of grand? And the rest!

Perhaps the sponsors whose colours are erm purple deemed that as part of the deal?...in other words perhaps they paid for the suits to gain there good selves publicity and advertising.....'spunk' away...theres a new one on me! Btw they look terrific and they should certainly 'cream' plenty of extra wonga through Swindon using them.....despite what the Peterborough grumpers think about Swindon since Rosco came back the club has been transformed publicity wise and sponsorship also....what other clubs would be able to entice the likes of Oakley Forcefield Castrol uk and Under Armor?...the latter being apt considering they supply Wales RFU with there shirt sponsorship and now the most famous welshman Rosco himself with his rugby shirt lol

Agreed 'shocks', the new race suits are innovative and very impressive. Where have you been this close season? Probably like me, bored of the pages and pages of 'Swindongate'....... ;)

I don't see why? The BSPA said Swindon had to buy Troy, so that what they have to do. Just announcing you have signed someone doesn't mean anything. As I mentioned in the last post, Coventry once announced Scott Nicholls was replacing Olly Allen but the BSPA made up a rule that week and the team was declared illegal and Scotts points were removed from the next meeting and Coventry had to re-declare. So just because Swindon have announced the signing the BSPA can still veto it. I can't see how the BSPA can possibly allow this one without looking like push overs and cannot run the sport and it need someone independent running it.

As I said, they'd backed themselves into a corner (probably on purpose) and couldn't do anything else but do nothing. If Harkess & co had said that Batchelor should be purchased by Swindon then push overs is quite kind for our silent incompetent masters. Swindon got what they wanted so fair play on that one for taking advantage of their uselessness. I doubt that it'll be painless and it'll be interesting to see whether the BSPA MC thought Patchett showed respect throughout the winter? Although the BSPA are incapable of thought and have probably slept through it all.

Edited by Crump99