British Speedway Forum

Comets In Trouble

Lets see how many turn up this Sat!

I agree with a lot of things that have been said, however, we have had speedway for the last five years when maybe we wouldn't have, I really struggle to think who could take it on. I look at the programme and I would say the majority of the sponsors have an Armstrong connection, thats a lot of cash to find, the plant eqpt thats used for the track etc, if he cant make it pay who can?

I also look at the crowds at other tracks and wonder how they can survive if we cant?

I also think the sport is to highly priced at £30 a week per couple and even higher for families, so it just isnt KD's fault, the fans are not supporting it.

900 fans lost from the first meeting is a huge drop off and there must be other factors, is it not value for money, poor racing etc.

Its said that Workington people wont support a losing team, but we are right up there with the leaders so surely that cant be the case either.

Would love some opinions because I would hate for the Speedway to close down in Workington, once its gone it won't come back, the track will go to ruin, Rugby Club won't want it back, noise concerns etc.

Lets hope their is someone out there willing to give it a go for a season, would be interesting to see if crowds would improve.

So to conclude, no fans = no speedway, its up to the fans to show that they want Speedway, Get the crowds back for the last few meetings and make it a viable proposition for someone to come in and save the club.

We really should be voting with our feet to save the Comets!

• Like 1

Really?

No mention from Mr Denham about the money he has lost by very late postponements, when, in one case in particular, all he had to do was listen to an experienced rider (and visiting captain) to try and salvage the meeting.

Feel sorry for the Worky fans, riders and Jacko. I used to love my trips over to Workington. Let's hope someone can come in and take over and run the show properly.

Yeah really , did you not see on here the scenario not so long ago regarding Adam, believe he complained about the track and bully boy family member of the Denhams didn't take it very well and had Adam by the throat. If the comets were running next season would have been very doubtful you would have seen Adam here

Only possible reason I can think of is that Workington played Whitehaven in the rugby the following day, big local rivalry and the game actually meant something. But 500 is still low considering back about 10-12 years ago the Comets got bigger crowds than most Elite League teams.

in recent times the crowd has been poor at workington speedway and theres many reasons 1 off them is the promotors atitude but im affraid the biggest 1 is people just cant afford to take there familys along to speedway at the price it is in the current economical climate Edited by scarra
  • Like 3

Lots of finger pointing and blame at the people in charge written here, but is there seriously less than 500 supporters attending meetings?

If that is accurate, I'm sorry but that just isn't enough to sustain speedway anywhere.

Unfortunately yes, I brought this up a few back on the Forum,

I don't believe for one minute that KD wants to see Workington Speedway close, however, how much isn he prepared to lose, it's his money, it is the fans not turning up that will cause the closure of the Speedway

• Like 1

Is the threat to close right now, surrendering all the assets, rights to league share-out of big-event income and bond -- or to complete season and then close or sell the club and assets on?

People criticise the BSPA, but they don't half get some problems thrust upon them!

Here's the thing. Since they have not completed their PL programme with two home matches against Leicester and Berwick to be fitted in by this weekend, immediate closure would require ALL Workington results to be expunged from table. Would this change the standings? Indeed, would Ipswich find themselves "promoted" to play-offs?

in recent times the crowd has been poor at workington speedway and theres many reasons 1 off them is the promotors atitude but im affraid the biggest 1 is people just cant afford to take there familys along to speedway at the price it is in the current economical climate

Agree Scarra, we are possibly the first to show our hand, but I dont think we will be the only club who are struggling!

Prices have to come down or run fortnightly, in a five week month it costs a family @£250pm to go, thats a lot of disposable income that can be spent elsewhere!

Indeed there has been a few features in Speedway Star about rising costs, people are aware but it's how to tackle it thats the problem.

• Like 1

Is the threat to close right now, surrendering all the assets, rights to league share-out of big-event income and bond -- or to complete season and then close or sell the club and assets on?

People criticise the BSPA, but they don't half get some problems thrust upon them!

Here's the thing. Since they have not completed their PL programme with two home matches against Leicester and Berwick to be fitted in by this weekend, immediate closure would require ALL Workington results to be expunged from table. Would this change the standings? Indeed, would Ipswich find themselves "promoted" to play-offs?

Oh No,, can't believe this is happening . Surely Keith will see sense and finish the the season and have some sort of closure for us fans and the riders instead of just nothing , it would be a travesty :sad:

Edited by davidj

Unfortunately yes, I brought this up a few back on the Forum,

I don't believe for one minute that KD wants to see Workington Speedway close, however, how much isn he prepared to lose, it's his money, it is the fans not turning up that will cause the closure of the Speedway

:rofl: And you really believe that its the fans fault for the closure !!! Come off it, how long has Kyle been out for example, we needed 3 riders signed and we weren't able to sign one , people get the attitude that well if he can't be bothered I am not paying my money to see a 3 man team and 3 guests , simple as . The fans are no way to blame for the Comets demise. Look at how he is approaching it, closure end of , theres Glasgow pleading with their fans and trying to find a buyer to enable it to carry on , but no he again stands on his high horse and uses his power to cripple the fans :mad:

• Like 1

:rofl: And you really believe that its the fans fault for the closure !!! Come off it, how long has Kyle been out for example, we needed 3 riders signed and we weren't able to sign one , people get the attitude that well if he can't be bothered I am not paying my money to see a 3 man team and 3 guests , simple as . The fans are no way to blame for the Comets demise. Look at how he is approaching it, closure end of , theres Glasgow pleading with their fans and trying to find a buyer to enable it to carry on , but no he again stands on his high horse and uses his power to cripple the fans :mad:

The simple truth is not enough fans turn up to watch the Comets. If the manner in which Denham has disclosed his intention to close is wrong (and it is) you can't blame him if he is losing a considerable amount of money.

While I fully accept the point about the cost, aside from that I wonder just what those who have deserted the club in recent seasons really want. The team is a good one (and but for injuries probably would have been even better), the racing (in my experience) this season has been top class and the presentation is excellent. As a package, its one of the best in the country.

Sadly, I fear that Glasgow & Workington might not be the only clubs under threat.

My point exactly, your not supporting the club financially, if everybody had the same attitude then it would have closed earlier. Injuries are part and parcel of the sport, it's not KD's fault that riders get injured, indeed a lot of riders have been injured this year and teams decimated, look at Berwick & Newcastle, but the fans have continued to support their team. I'm not defending anyone here but trying to get riders will not have been an easy task with other teams looking as well.

Quotes from KD

Last Saturday for the visit of Glasgow Tigers I lost almost £3,000. We had less than 500 people in the stadium and over 100 of them came from Glasgow.

“We have had a side competing well in the league and one which has been unbeaten at Derwent Park but the crowds have continued to decline.

Our injuries have been well documented and on Saturday against Glasgow we had to use three guests and a rider replacement facility. Some of the fans told me they thought they should only have to pay half price because we had only half of our team. I told him it doesn’t work like that.”

Mr Denham said other clubs were in serious financial trouble and the sport had a “major problem”.

Most of the above relates to the crowd levels.

As to pulling out of the league I dont know the answer but based on the above, take the 100 Glasgow fans off the crowd in the upcoming meetings thats another £1500 loss on to the £3k he's already losing, a further seven meetings at £4,500 a further loss 0f £31,500 till the season ends and thats assuming 400 continually turn up, No wonder he's looking at his options!!!!

The simple truth is not enough fans turn up to watch the Comets. If the manner in which Denham has disclosed his intention to close is wrong (and it is) you can't blame him if he is losing a considerable amount of money.

While I fully accept the point about the cost, aside from that I wonder just what those who have deserted the club in recent seasons really want. The team is a good one (and but for injuries probably would have been even better), the racing (in my experience) this season has been top class and the presentation is excellent. As a package, its one of the best in the country.

Sadly, I fear that Glasgow & Workington might not be the only clubs under threat.

Well said

Sadly it's not just about the price of admission.

In my case I live near Nottingham and go to see Leicester.

Admission £15.00

Programme £2.50

Fuel £10.00

Total £27.50 pw

Month £110

It's my choice to pay that, I love speedway, been watching since I was 12 years old. A long time.

But, if you think about it..........it's a lot of money. People simply haven't got available to spend on leisure activates.

I personally think speedway is becoming to expensive.

My point exactly, your not supporting the club financially, if everybody had the same attitude then it would have closed earlier. Injuries are part and parcel of the sport, it's not KD's fault that riders get injured, indeed a lot of riders have been injured this year and teams decimated, look at Berwick & Newcastle, but the fans have continued to support their team. I'm not defending anyone here but trying to get riders will not have been an easy task with other teams looking as well.

Quotes from KD

Last Saturday for the visit of Glasgow Tigers I lost almost £3,000. We had less than 500 people in the stadium and over 100 of them came from Glasgow.

“We have had a side competing well in the league and one which has been unbeaten at Derwent Park but the crowds have continued to decline.

Our injuries have been well documented and on Saturday against Glasgow we had to use three guests and a rider replacement facility. Some of the fans told me they thought they should only have to pay half price because we had only half of our team. I told him it doesn’t work like that.”

Mr Denham said other clubs were in serious financial trouble and the sport had a “major problem”.

Most of the above relates to the crowd levels.

As to pulling out of the league I dont know the answer but based on the above, take the 100 Glasgow fans off the crowd in the upcoming meetings thats another £1500 loss on to the £3k he's already losing, a further seven meetings at £4,500 a further loss 0f £31,500 till the season ends and thats assuming 400 continually turn up, No wonder he's looking at his options!!!!

Well said

I am there every bloody week so yes I am supporting financially :mad: , I was saying about other fans not coming because of the team situation! As for Glasgow, Berwick etc, they must be losing money too but what have they done, reduced admission prices for certain for matches and tried to get fans back, but no not us he just pulls the plugs without trying anything, probably seen the prospect of a possible double header this weekend and instead of thinking of a slight discount to get fans through the gates he shuts. Defend all you want but the writing is on the wall

• Like 3

I am there every bloody week so yes I am supporting financially :mad: , I was saying about other fans not coming because of the team situation! As for Glasgow, Berwick etc, they must be losing money too but what have they done, reduced admission prices for certain for matches and tried to get fans back, but no not us he just pulls the plugs without trying anything, probably seen the prospect of a possible double header this weekend and instead of thinking of a slight discount to get fans through the gates he shuts. Defend all you want but the writing is on the wall

Agree with that Jamlad, but it must be a hard decision to take because if the crowd doesnt pick up your even more out of pocket!

Can't see him closing immediately, so yes it would probably be worth a punt to see if crowds increase with reduced admission costs and prove that the support is still out there! Would be absolutely gutted if there was no speedway next year.

Dont think Sat nights help now, we are competing against various shows and the GP's are fortnightly, do you think a change of raceday, night would help?

Edited by fixerman

Agree with that Jamlad, but it must be a hard decision to take because if the crowd doesnt pick up your even more out of pocket!

Can't see him closing immediately, so yes it would probably be worth a punt to see if crowds increase with reduced admission costs and prove that the support is still out there! Would be absolutely gutted if there was no speedway next year.

Dont think Sat nights help now, we are competing against various shows and the GP's are fortnightly, do you think a change of raceday, night would help?

I'm not sure about the night tbh, would Fridays make a difference :neutral: . You know maybe if he just tried a slight discount like this Sat for instance if there was to be a double header, anything is a worth a try . Them lads have rode their socks off this season and I know the team is decimated but 2 semi's and the playoffs is some achievement many other teams in the league would grab your hand off to be in our position . Lets hope Keith sees some sense and finishes the season off , we are not the only team struggling financially . Talk to the fans Keith you might just find out we are not aliens just human beings lke yourself and there would be a hell of alot of us devastated if the gates are to close

So lunchtime approaches at work and sitting here pondering over not seeing my beloved Comets race again :sad: . What a thought !!! Then suddenly it came over me, on a lighter note (well I'm trying ) oh my god who would I support , would it be the Newcastle Diamonds and Rough Park :blink: , .......quick I need a double vodka :D:lol:

Edited by davidj

Could Shefield on Sunday be the last time we see a Comet in the PLRC!

. Them lads have rode their socks off this season and I know the team is decimated but 2 semi's and the playoffs is some achievement many other teams in the league would grab your hand off to be in our position .

I bet most promotions in the league,with 2 x semi finals and playoffs to finance would tell you to get stuffed!!! sorry state when success causes the owners to blow there balls off finance wise

Mid table finishes seem to enable future speedway,success puts your club in doubt

I bet most promotions in the league,with 2 x semi finals and playoffs to finance would tell you to get stuffed!!! sorry state when success causes the owners to blow there balls off finance wise

Mid table finishes seem to enable future speedway,success puts your club in doubt

Sad but true Glasgow recorded losses off £30k last season during there title winning season , seems that success in this sport is rewarded with big losses Edinburgh made the same noises about loss a couple off years ago after one off there title winning season's

Would be sad for Cumbrian fans if Worky closes. Had some great saturday evenings there in 2004/5 when I lived near Carlisle. The days of Stoney/Steady. They used to average around 1200 what's happened up there? A worrying trend with crowd levels falling all over the UK.

its a bad day for comets,but at the end of the day its all about money,i have seen all the meetings this year and it costs me 60 pound every meeting as me and my son and daughter like the speedway,maybe keith needs to look at the comets with a clear head,he need,s to now there is a big fan base but his way of running the speedway is the nail in the coffin.berwick have offered cheaper prices and john anderson said if he could 2000 in he would charge £5 entrance.so lets hope there is a solution,as said sometimes less is more