British Speedway Forum

Sheffield 2013

To see Steady at his best the track needs to have plenty of dirt on it. Just been looking on youtube at Argentinian speedway very big track. Albin was riding, but the commenty was in Argentinian ( or what ever language they speak) it looked quite fast..I think i worked out which one was Albin, if i was correct looked good.Great style.

remember when we were dominant at home the track was ripped up on outside for sean wilson and andre to pass people now we have steady and hally will we see it again in the last few years the track has slicker and slicker

I really hope they do rip up the track Adrian , that as much as bad team selection has been a factor in the drop in attendances IMO.

The by and large proccessional drivel we have been served up with the slick track has been a real turn off and when the track was ripped up before teams/riders talked themselves out of points before they had even started , even Grievsey has been comfortable around it and any home advantage is given up with a slick track.

Well its now Saterday afternoon and I am still waiting for news re Wells or not It is not helping anyone as fans need to know what team we have and I fully understand both sides saying its about money but please both can we resolve this issue for the sake of Sheffield Speedway s a whole.

• Like 1

They haven't used total loss engines for for over 20 years, and there is nothing stopping anyone maybe adding a binding agent maybe a little oil if the track drainage goes into underground tanks. I think its also different shale used these days or a different mix. Shale isn't cheap these days. I think Scunthorpe use a different Shale to most.

Here goes my opinions for the Tigers for 2012

1 Stead

Do think he will be a good number one and also fantastic as captain and mentor to the young lads. But I don't think he will be as dominant as some are expecting and feel he'll end the season having dropped a point off his average.

2 Koppe

Excited to see what the lad can do. But a little concerned that I've heard his name pre-season for a couple of years and no one has snapped him up. At 24 he's a late starter to the premier league when there's several 16-18 year olds joining this season. If he can get near his starting average he will of done well.

3 Haines

I think joe will continue to improve this season although he will find it harder in the main body. Such a good gater that he'll always have a chance and showed he can pass towards the end of last season.

4 Hall

Can't fault his commitment to the cause for Sheffield and could be considered a number 1 at home. Would of liked to see him help out the lower average riders by blocking when he gets in front and showed some team riding. Not likely to see it now the bonus point money has been dropped. It's all about the away form for Richard.

5 ????

For me I hope it's Wells. Think he has massive potential and could add a point and a half. Yes he didn't do as well as he did for Wolves but it was starting to show at the end of the season home and importantly away. If not Wells I can't see any other rider who could be called a third heat leader signing for the same deal on offer and think we'll end up with a second string rider in that position.

6 Albin

Again very excited to see what the lad can do. Sounds a hot prospect but can't say any more till I've seen him ride. Same as Koppe, if he can get near his 5 point average he will have done well.

7 Knight

Would like the lad to surprise me but truthfully think he will be out of his depth. Didnt look on the pace when guesting for us and riding at 8. And going by his position in the National league I can't see him doing to well. Good luck to the lad!

Team

Very risky side. Would be happy with any of the signings in a different blend of riders but as a team I'm a little worried we'll take some hammerings away and will lose more at home than last season.

Management

I guess we'll go with Hoggy and Hinchcliff again. Personally I think Hoggy should be back on centre green where he belongs promoting the club and exciting the crowd. Hinchcliff could do the job this year looking after the young lads as he's done for the Tigers before with Stead having some input to help out. Would really like a different person as manager but don't think it will happen so no point going on about it

Promotion

With only 10 weeks till the season begins I'm a little disappointed. Still dont know the team. No talk of prices. Not heard of anything happening differently to try and improve the promotion of Sheffield Tigers. I've got a little inkling that the promotion have already decided to sell up this year as I can't understand why they'd spent money on assets in a year when we've been warned it could be the last. Other than it looks better to potential buyers and gives them a season to find a buyer.

Track

Do agree with others that the racing has become a bit tame. Ok we have lost some great passes like Auty and Ashworth but it was mentioned by Hoggy last season that the track was set up like it was because the riders wanted it like that. Stead and Hall need the dirt and possibly Wells and Albin would benefit too. On the down side it could go against Joes style.

Not very confident but hoping I'm proved wrong. Really looking forward to the season starting and good luck to all involved!

Here goes my opinions for the Tigers for 2012

1 Stead

Do think he will be a good number one and also fantastic as captain and mentor to the young lads. But I don't think he will be as dominant as some are expecting and feel he'll end the season having dropped a point off his average.

2 Koppe

Excited to see what the lad can do. But a little concerned that I've heard his name pre-season for a couple of years and no one has snapped him up. At 24 he's a late starter to the premier league when there's several 16-18 year olds joining this season. If he can get near his starting average he will of done well.

3 Haines

I think joe will continue to improve this season although he will find it harder in the main body. Such a good gater that he'll always have a chance and showed he can pass towards the end of last season.

4 Hall

Can't fault his commitment to the cause for Sheffield and could be considered a number 1 at home. Would of liked to see him help out the lower average riders by blocking when he gets in front and showed some team riding. Not likely to see it now the bonus point money has been dropped. It's all about the away form for Richard.

5 ????

For me I hope it's Wells. Think he has massive potential and could add a point and a half. Yes he didn't do as well as he did for Wolves but it was starting to show at the end of the season home and importantly away. If not Wells I can't see any other rider who could be called a third heat leader signing for the same deal on offer and think we'll end up with a second string rider in that position.

6 Albin

Again very excited to see what the lad can do. Sounds a hot prospect but can't say any more till I've seen him ride. Same as Koppe, if he can get near his 5 point average he will have done well.

7 Knight

Would like the lad to surprise me but truthfully think he will be out of his depth. Didnt look on the pace when guesting for us and riding at 8. And going by his position in the National league I can't see him doing to well. Good luck to the lad!

Team

Very risky side. Would be happy with any of the signings in a different blend of riders but as a team I'm a little worried we'll take some hammerings away and will lose more at home than last season.

Management

I guess we'll go with Hoggy and Hinchcliff again. Personally I think Hoggy should be back on centre green where he belongs promoting the club and exciting the crowd. Hinchcliff could do the job this year looking after the young lads as he's done for the Tigers before with Stead having some input to help out. Would really like a different person as manager but don't think it will happen so no point going on about it

Promotion

With only 10 weeks till the season begins I'm a little disappointed. Still dont know the team. No talk of prices. Not heard of anything happening differently to try and improve the promotion of Sheffield Tigers. I've got a little inkling that the promotion have already decided to sell up this year as I can't understand why they'd spent money on assets in a year when we've been warned it could be the last. Other than it looks better to potential buyers and gives them a season to find a buyer.

Track

Do agree with others that the racing has become a bit tame. Ok we have lost some great passes like Auty and Ashworth but it was mentioned by Hoggy last season that the track was set up like it was because the riders wanted it like that. Stead and Hall need the dirt and possibly Wells and Albin would benefit too. On the down side it could go against Joes style.

Not very confident but hoping I'm proved wrong. Really looking forward to the season starting and good luck to all involved!

Dont think hally could be classed as a number 1 ,how many heat 15 did he win ? Agree the track needs attention this season because its been like watching paint dry in recent years and with hally and steady in the side it needs to be grippy.Think we need more than one line with the team weve put together.The track was a disgrace at the plrc for the last few races on the first two bends.
  • Like 1

They haven't used total loss engines for for over 20 years, and there is nothing stopping anyone maybe adding a binding agent maybe a little oil if the track drainage goes into underground tanks. I think its also different shale used these days or a different mix. Shale isn't cheap these days. I think Scunthorpe use a different Shale to most.

iI think you are right about the shale, I am sure they had to start using the same fine shale as at Bell Vue on the insistance of the Greyhound people.

This smaller shale does not bind as well as the old course stuff.

I see the track graded every week at about 5pm and there is loads of stuff there but it looks so fine and loose like it would blow away.

I heard from someone that the new drainage on the Greyhound track caused an issue with sand getting washed off it onto the Speedway Circuit, and that affected how the shale was binding. But if that IS the case, can anything be done to get the track as Stead and Hall want it? I know absolutely nothing about track preparation. Anyone who has actually prepared a track know the answer ?

see Steady at his best the track needs to have plenty of dirt on it. Just been looking on youtube at Argentinian speedway very big track. Albin was riding, but the commenty was in Argentinian ( or what ever language they speak) it looked quite fast..I think i worked out which one was Albin, if i was correct looked good.Great style.

He's the one who hangs off the bike with his leg in the air.

Edited by squall

He's the one who hangs off the bike with his leg in the air.

Remember him the evening he rode Sheffield on the Berwick team bike that eventually gave up on him. He looked very stylish & ar*e to the wind! His mother and I think sister (or girlfriend) were just past the third bend with an Argentinian flag, cheering him on. Liked the look of him then, & think he'll go down well at Owlerton - glad we've got him & not Berwick to be honest.

• Like 2