British Speedway Forum

Sheffield 2013

Well that teams 1.52 under the limit. I really cannot even imagine what the promotion were thinking when signing these last few riders. If this is the team to turn Sheffields fortunes around after one of the worst seasons we've ever had, then you really have to worry about our future!

I think the biggest worry is the attitude of some so called fans who post on this forum. Do you have a divine right to be top of the league every year then? Where I live I'd be grateful for a team to support; unfortunately they closed a long time ago. Some people wouldn't recognise a good thing if it got up and slapped them in the face with a wet fish. This time last year the majority who post were moaning about the signing of Joe Haines; whistling a different tune now then?

This looks like a team that will deliver the home wins with the potential to develop and pick up points away from home. I'd consider that a result considering the current economic woes in this country; but my view is as irrelevant as all the negative posts that are on here; what really matters is what happens on the track form March onwards.

• Like 7

Another long season for Sheffield and their fans I fear. Poor team.

And you have just contributed what exactly with this post...... Oh, that would be nothing.

Sticking to a budget they can afford,maybe that was what they were thinking???

One would hope so; there is a rich history of winning teams (in all sports) that go out of business after a year or two. Perhaps that's what some people want?

Anyway my last post (unless somone really winds me up) until March!

Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year to you all!

Nellie.

• Like 1

Rubbish! You are obsessed by numbers, who cares if it is below a limit? If (if) this is the team -- we only have one poster's word it is -- Tigers are building for the future with the three new young assets, they've signed a club legend who is still one of Britain's very best in either league, a two-time British U-21 champion who looks like resuming his upward progress after some awful injuries and have two solid-at-home riders to steady the ship. The future's bright, the future's blue-and-yellow.

Oh aye, I'm obviously talking a load of rubbish. Especially when we've wasted potentially signing someone on an 8.41 average & go on to sign Richard Hall. The team is absolutely terrible with a massive amount of pressure on Albin and Koppe to hit the ground running and to see Hall change his fortunes all of a sudden and be a solid 2nd heatleader.

Fact is, the likes of Wells, Stead and Haines are a complete waste if you're going to build an incredibly weak team around it. I guess our only hope is that Plymouth put out an equally weaker side!

Hoggy has said in his article in the Sheffield Star that "people will look at the newcomers and worry that we're taking a gamble and I guess in many ways we are but we want to create a new era at Sheffield Speedway and all our riders signed so far are desperate to make it a success".

Let's hope the gamble pays off!

• Like 2

Rubbish! You are obsessed by numbers, who cares if it is below a limit? If (if) this is the team -- we only have one poster's word it is -- Tigers are building for the future with the three new young assets, they've signed a club legend who is still one of Britain's very best in either league, a two-time British U-21 champion who looks like resuming his upward progress after some awful injuries and have two solid-at-home riders to steady the ship. The future's bright, the future's blue-and-yellow.

Steads one of Britains best? Is that actually a serious comment?

And you have just contributed what exactly with this post...... Oh, that would be nothing.

I dont have to contribute anything, its my opinion which I'm entitled to have.

One would hope so; there is a rich history of winning teams (in all sports) that go out of business after a year or two. Perhaps that's what some people want?

Anyway my last post (unless somone really winds me up) until March!

Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year to you all!

Nellie.

Ricky Wells is a character. Entertaining on track, hilarious after an incident at Edinburgh (I am a Monarch) but I thought Ricky was class. Getting abuse and he blows kisses. I was laughing thinking that's what speedway us about banter. Ricky is a racer, class on a bike and I'd pay to watch him. Him and stead could be a great duo

He's a character - really? I must have missed something then, because every time I've seen him he gives the impression that he has the personality of a slice of bread. On track he never seems to interact with the fans after a decent win, and I've seen him ignore a young boy asking (nicely) for his autograph at the rear of the pits. Character - yes, but not one I want to see thanks.

As for being a good rider can't argue with that, although some of his home performances were dire to begin with, he worked at it and seemed to have the measure of most riders when at home (Sheffield that is).

• Like 1

What future if its another season like this years ?

3 gamble signings is wrong IMO (if Albin signs) , they are not only gambles as far as next season goes ... they are gambles with the future of speedway in Sheffield !

• Like 2

What future if its another season like this years ?

3 gamble signings is wrong IMO (if Albin signs) , they are not only gambles as far as next season goes ... they are gambles with the future of speedway in Sheffield !

With the potential of this team, the next important step is to aquire a motivational Team Manager. that alone is worth 5 points per match :lol:

Is that side confirmed?

Still can’t see any team that is exceptionally weak, or strong in the PL.

The points that Stead and Hall alone will bring in will make that side tough to beat at home, teams will be doing well to take points away from Owlerton IMO.

Edited by wjm

Sticking to a budget they can afford,maybe that was what they were thinking???

That's quite possible. I would have thought, however, that last years team was more than adequate evidence that sticking to a budget can be as financially disastrous as recklessly overspending.

Whatever the promotion might say, the principle reason for the losses incurred last year was the team line up which led to fans turning their back on the team.

In my view, this years predicted line up isn't quite as bad but whether it is good enough to tempt the missing hundreds back must be seriously open to question.

I think the biggest worry is the attitude of some so called fans who post on this forum. Do you have a divine right to be top of the league every year then? Where I live I'd be grateful for a team to support; unfortunately they closed a long time ago. Some people wouldn't recognise a good thing if it got up and slapped them in the face with a wet fish. This time last year the majority who post were moaning about the signing of Joe Haines; whistling a different tune now then?

This looks like a team that will deliver the home wins with the potential to develop and pick up points away from home. I'd consider that a result considering the current economic woes in this country; but my view is as irrelevant as all the negative posts that are on here; what really matters is what happens on the track form March onwards.

The fans divine right to have a successful team is as valid as the promotion's divine right to put out whatever they want and expect the fans to continue to attend. Sheffield did that in 2012 and got precisely what they deserved.

It seems that you have adopted a view to which several members of the BSPA adhere: accept what you are given without criticism and just be grateful that you have a team to support. Do you not realise that it is for the promotion to attract supporters by the product that they offer ? Doesn't it say something that the posts on here - including those from passionate, absolutely committed fans like Spinny, Tigerowl & Squall - are at best hopeful and at worst savagely critical ?

Stead is an excellent signing, Wells too. Haines is a good one - I'd say he was a qualified success last season. The majority of Sheffield fans on here seem to me do not want Hall. Koppe and Albin are gambles and Knight a huge one.

I'd be the first to admit that it is easy for me to name names and make suggestions about other riders, but clearly for the 15 points used for Knight, Hall & Koppe you could have had much better choices who would have provided the anticipation and excitement that after last season Sheffield need so badly, and that's my real point here.

While spending over what you can afford can be extremely risky for speedway teams, spending on a budget is equally so. At this moment, I think Sheffield have got it wrong.

Several fans on here have said they will not go because of the team line up. I would have thought that such remarks were anything but irrelevant.

The points that Stead and Hall alone will bring in will make that side tough to beat at home, teams will be doing well to take points away from Owlerton IMO.

I believe Plymouth had the same view last season, and their top two was far better than Stead & Hall.

• Like 1

Oh aye, I'm obviously talking a load of rubbish. Especially when we've wasted potentially signing someone on an 8.41 average & go on to sign Richard Hall.

But maybe that rider on an 8.41 average is beyond the financial reach at the present time

Its so easy to sit on pull things to peices without knowing what bubget they have to work with,unless SKJ you are going to inject some cash???

I believe Plymouth had the same view last season, and their top two was far better than Stead & Hall.

And Poole only lost a couple of meetings all season thanks mainly to a strong top two, while you won’t get a Turbo Twin like performance away from home from Stead and Hall it isn’t beyond them around Sheffield, add in guys like Wells and Haines that is a decent amount of points most weeks at home.

Edited by wjm

But maybe that rider on an 8.41 average is beyond the financial reach at the present time

Its so easy to sit on pull things to peices without knowing what bubget they have to work with,unless SKJ you are going to inject some cash???

He injects some cash as do the rest of us EVERY WEEK of the season !

If its not very good will he then inject the cash ?

Small team budgets are a false economy , give Sheffield a team worth watching and using evidence from the recent past upto a 1000 may attend instead a third of that figure last season !

Edited by OILYRAG

As said, my 'investment' is paying to watch the side all season long, so I think it's fair that I should at least have an opinion on what I'm paying to watch. Fair enough, maybe the club hasn't got the financial backing to put out a competitive side. But I've got every right to worry, especially when the clubs putting out articles like this- http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/speedway/speedway-tigers-future-in-doubt-1-5155300

Either way my opinion shouldn't really matter to the club, I'll be going whatever crap side they decide to put out! It's the not so loyal that they need to get back to the club. And if this really is the make or break season for Sheffield, where we need to get the fans back that we've lost, then this isn't the team to do it IMO and could well result in a similar season to last where were fighting at the bottom of the league and suffering with low attendances.

• Like 2

Small team budgets are a false economy , give Sheffield a team worth watching and using evidence from the recent past upto a 1000 may attend instead a third of that figure last season !

So you think it is the right think to do then,to sign a team over budget in the hope that fans come flooding back to finance it??? thats isnt how it works,ask the fans of Newport and various others

So you think it is the right think to do then,to sign a team over budget in the hope that fans come flooding back to finance it??? thats isnt how it works,ask the fans of Newport and various others

Good point but have Newport ever had big crowds ?

I think the promotion do a good job on publicity but if the product isn't good people will try it once ... see 10 races that are finished off bend two of lap one and then for ever make the typical comment non speedway fans make.

I do think the poor track of the last few years is contributing as much to the decline in attendances than the poor team building but if you are running on a track with "nothing on it" get riders to suit ... bring riders like Hall and from what I have seen on youtube Albin who like a blast around the outside is a waste of time , in fact with how the track has been I don't think Stead will get along with it very well !

The fans divine right to have a successful team is as valid as the promotion's divine right to put out whatever they want and expect the fans to continue to attend. Sheffield did that in 2012 and got precisely what they deserved.

By the same token, perhaps the "fans" who stayed away in 2012 and are promising to do the same next year are now also getting precisely what they deserve.

Criticism is one thing, but boycotting the club benefits no-one and can only lead to further decline

• Like 3