British Speedway Forum

Sheffield 2013

Well I must admit I am slightly deflated, the signing of Stead is absolutley amazing, and I quite like the Koppe addition too, however when i look over the other sides that are being put together i cant help but think we are heading in the same old predictable "safe" route again, why are we bringing Hall back when there are other quality options available ? have we not been there and done that with Hall too many times? at the end of each season i get my hopes up thinking this is our year, and the same old dross is served up time after time after time.

Very glad to see stead back, but as for the rest of the team i am worried., just my opinion.

• Like 2

Well I must admit I am slightly deflated, the signing of Stead is absolutley amazing, and I quite like the Koppe addition too, however when i look over the other sides that are being put together i cant help but think we are heading in the same old predictable "safe" route again, why are we bringing Hall back when there are other quality options available ? have we not been there and done that with Hall too many times? at the end of each season i get my hopes up thinking this is our year, and the same old dross is served up time after time after time.

Very glad to see stead back, but as for the rest of the team i am worried., just my opinion.

I think that the first three signings gave a great deal of optimism.

Joe Haines, was one of the bright things about last season, the lad appears to be getting his career back on the straight and narrow, and I was glad that he had repaid the club in having faith and patience by signing on for another season.

Next up.

Damien Koppe, a rider who I have followed for about 3 to 4 seasons and he is a decent rider, people will say never heard of the guy, but who had heard of Hugh Skidmore when he came into the side and he did alright..

Then the big one.

Simon Stead, just what the doctor order, a quality signing and the feeling was that the Promotion really do mean business.

Followed by

Jake Knight, well if we have the powerful number 1 you are going have to go with the youthful inexperienced reserve, okay Jake was not the fans first choice but the Promotion did say last season that they were looking at the lad and wanted give him a chance and lad appears to be up for it and wants it.

The team is now taking shape and the remaining three places we are basically looking for two heatleaders and a solid second string.

And the next name to mentioned is, and this a rider that will be riding as a heatleader.

Richard Hall, who averaged 8.38 at home and 5.08 away, does not sound very solid to me. Yes he goes well around Sheffield and yes he can be very good to watch around Sheffield, but he is not what we are looking for in this team. Of course we are told Richard has been told he must improve his away form, and Richard is determined to do that, funny I remember reading that when the club signed him up for 2010, he did not do it then and I don't see him doing it now.

So if the Promotion do decide to go with Richard, and I think now that they will, the next two signings will have to be really good signings.

• Like 2

I think that the first three signings gave a great deal of optimism.

Joe Haines, was one of the bright things about last season, the lad appears to be getting his career back on the straight and narrow, and I was glad that he had repaid the club in having faith and patience by signing on for another season.

Next up.

Damien Koppe, a rider who I have followed for about 3 to 4 seasons and he is a decent rider, people will say never heard of the guy, but who had heard of Hugh Skidmore when he came into the side and he did alright..

Then the big one.

Simon Stead, just what the doctor order, a quality signing and the feeling was that the Promotion really do mean business.

Followed by

Jake Knight, well if we have the powerful number 1 you are going have to go with the youthful inexperienced reserve, okay Jake was not the fans first choice but the Promotion did say last season that they were looking at the lad and wanted give him a chance and lad appears to be up for it and wants it.

The team is now taking shape and the remaining three places we are basically looking for two heatleaders and a solid second string.

And the next name to mentioned is, and this a rider that will be riding as a heatleader.

Richard Hall, who averaged 8.38 at home and 5.08 away, does not sound very solid to me. Yes he goes well around Sheffield and yes he can be very good to watch around Sheffield, but he is not what we are looking for in this team. Of course we are told Richard has been told he must improve his away form, and Richard is determined to do that, funny I remember reading that when the club signed him up for 2010, he did not do it then and I don't see him doing it now.

So if the Promotion do decide to go with Richard, and I think now that they will, the next two signings will have to be really good signings.

alot of emphasis will be on stead to carry this team SK....is he good enough to do it these days do you think??

alot of emphasis will be on stead to carry this team SK....is he good enough to do it these days do you think??

In this league I think he will do well.

The other ting that Simon will bring is his experience and knowledge to the younger members of the team, and he is a character that will do this. I thin that he will be especially good for the likes of Joe Haines.

I hope as well that Simon brings along his Old Man Trevor, he has been known to help other riders out if they are struggling.

The one thing that I am hoping and that I think Simon will instil to the team, is team spirit, something that was definitely lacking last season, when they looked like a bunch of individual's no one seemed to bond together.

I think 2 of the remaining 3 will be Hall & Wells, will take Wells back, but not Hall, im bored of Hall now but the promotion seem to absolutley love him??!?

If Hall and Wells are next, then what points are we left to play with ?

Riders available on that we could have for that figure

Dakota North

Taylor Poole

Christian Heffenbrock

Matt Tessarieru

Claes Nedermark

Corey Gathercole.

I don't mind Hally but they have to prepare the track to suit him with shale ankle deep on the outside which will also suit Stead , how many times last season did you see him go for the blast round the outside on bends 3 and 4 and it just didnt happen ... infact the best overtaking line on bend 4 was the inside last season !

WJM ... with how the team is shaping up they will not win all the home meetings !

I think that this has been a big part of the problem over the last few years, Track Preparation. It seemed to me that every week the track was prepared the same, you'd see Andre & Ricky from race one onwards perform because they knew the track. If they had a bad gate you'd see them wind it on and pick their moment. Now the track seems different every week and home riders take one or two races to get 'dialled in' - ridiculous!

Ok so we all have our opinions on who should be in the team, I think there's a lot more involved than money which some people don't seem to understand. We all know it's important, but how do you instil loyalty into people? That goes for fans too.

The years I've been going to speedway you go to see your team at home on a track that they know and have mastered and see if the away riders can beat them on it. This doesn't work if the tracks different every week and it's a toss up as to who gets the right set up first! The same goes for when you go to watch them ride away, unfortunately the other teams usually seem to have got their track preparation right, but as long as we give it a go then fair do's.

Get the track right and no team (even Belle View) wouldn't beat us at home - LOL.

As for Hally like my metal work teacher put on my report - "Must try harder!"

Can't be doing with the moaning. Richard Hall is fantastic round Owlerton. Worth the admission money alone. The quality of racing was good last year. Excellent entertainment. Hope we sign Ricky Wells. Gonna be a star this year.

One thing I do know for fact is.

You can't please all the people all the time.

You ask for a number one, we get it.

You ask for new riders and not the same stale team, we now have 3 new riders.

And guess what, people still moan.

yes we have one good rider who hopefully will maintain his average, i cant see joe haines improving when he is not at reserve all season, i cant see jake knight averaging 3 points a match unless he is much improved from last year, i cant see damien koppe getting 5 and richard hall hasnt increased his average for years.

a title winning team needs the majority of riders to improve their averages, i think we will lose 3 points off the above riders averages. that means the next two riders will have to put a combined total of about 9 points on their averages to get us into a challenging position

like i said in an ealier post they will have to be the most inspired signings in the history of speedway, so i am sorry if i am not shouting from the rooftops about how good this team is, its because once again it isnt, its make up is the same as last years with a good number 1

• Like 2

From what I can remember, Jake didn't ride many times last year at home apart from the infamous tac sub against Glasgow so how do we know how he is gonna perform? Give the lad a chance! Ashley Birks wasn't fantastic to start with or going back a few seasons, Tai Woffinden and Josh Auty weren't brilliant to start with either!

• Like 1

From what I can remember, Jake didn't ride many times last year at home apart from the infamous tac sub against Glasgow so how do we know how he is gonna perform? Give the lad a chance! Ashley Birks wasn't fantastic to start with or going back a few seasons, Tai Woffinden and Josh Auty weren't brilliant to start with either!

from what i remember tai came on a 3 and ended up on an 8 and won rye the league, ashley birks did really well at the end of his time at sheffield and scunthorpe were really grateful for that last year, cant remember autys first season average but he had averaged around 9 in the nl with scunthorpe.

what was jakes average in the nl last year? around 5? sorry but those three examples do not make me more confident about knight in fact it convinces me even more that this team is looking like last years but with a good number 1

Edited by The Third Man

Steady and haines - great signings

Koppe and knight - no idea how they will get on

Richard returning - might be a top lad but he promises every year to improve away from home and never does same as birko!

Sorry Sheffield you had me back every week at the signing of steady and haines but will pick and choose, every other club is way more ambitious than sheffield it seems and hoggy just do one and let machin run the club how he used too!

Any one else think this is "ground hog day" same old, same old and Hoggy said he was trying to get the fans back!!? Incidently, has he picked Sheff Wed team as well?? Other than Steady, very poor line up so far, and looking like wooden spoon material again unless hoggy has something up his sleeve!? I think not!!! And where are the 2 x 8+ heat leaders he talked about?? Come on hoggy you might be good on a mike but pickin a speedway team aint one of your strong points!!!!

People are forgetting Jake had a really good 2011 and went from reserve to heat leader in the NL. Maybe, just maybe, something was wrong in 2012, which he will have put right by 2013.

He wasn't my 1st choice either, but let's give the lad a bloody chance. Seen plenty of average NL/PL riders step up and do well in PL/EL and there is no reason why Jake shouldn't be the same.

• Like 1

Sheffield are presumably beginning to rebuild an asset roster, and will be looking to Jake Knight, Facundo Albin (if he's in the plans, as is rumoured) and Damian Koppe to begin the process. All three with huge potential in years to come.

The criticism of Jake Knight (probably by people who have been shouting for "more Brits in the PL") is depressing.

• Like 2

People are forgetting Jake had a really good 2011 and went from reserve to heat leader in the NL. Maybe, just maybe, something was wrong in 2012, which he will have put right by 2013.

He wasn't my 1st choice either, but let's give the lad a bloody chance. Seen plenty of average NL/PL riders step up and do well in PL/EL and there is no reason why Jake shouldn't be the same.

Quite agree Squall. No body gave Paul Starke a chance last year, in the NL he was about a 7 pointer. Newcastle stuck by him, and he just got better with regular riding at a higher level. So much so the a lot of Diamond fans were hoping for a return of Paul this next year, but that was highly unlikely with Steve Worrall already returning. Richie had only ridden 7 times in the NL, and was not in anybodies 1 to 7 when he came to us.

• Like 1

Quite agree Squall. No body gave Paul Starke a chance last year, in the NL he was about a 7 pointer. Newcastle stuck by him, and he just got better with regular riding at a higher level. So much so the a lot of Diamond fans were hoping for a return of Paul this next year, but that was highly unlikely with Steve Worrall already returning. Richie had only ridden 7 times in the NL, and was not in anybodies 1 to 7 when he came to us.

can you just remind me of Pauls average in the PL last season?

To all Tigers fans, we will be having our second STAARS gathering this winter on Thursday 13th December 2012 at the usual venue at SAHA Social Club, Fulwood Road, Sheffield from 8pm.

As always its a chance for Tigers fans to have a catch up and to talk about the Tigers and latest signings all things speedway during the silly season (and anything else) and have a few beverages. All are welcome!

• Like 1