British Speedway Forum

Sheffield 2013

I don't think it is a case that people don't want Ricky Ashworth its more that Ricky has clearly stated that he wants to be at Berwick next season, see the link.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hR93_kvfIMc

I would rather see riders that actually want to ride for the club, and at the moment Ricky wants to be with Berwick so if that what we wants then lets let the guy have want he wants.

In Simon Stead Sheffield have adequately replace or found a better replacement for Ricky.

It says in the Speedway Star that he has turned more money at other clubs to come to Sheffield so I think that answers the question whether he wants to be at so Simon Stead the rider wants to be at the club.

Simon Stead the man, I don't know whether you were around the last time he was at the club, but one thing that he does do well is connect with the fans both young and old, and understands the value of the supporters. But don't just take my word for it ask the fans of Swindon what they think of Simon Stead.

Lets not forget that Simon was up and until recently part of the Team GB World Cup Squad, he has had rode in British GB as a Wild card on more than one occasion, he can bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to club that will prove invaluable.

well i hope this is reported then as i thought there was a wage cap, that machin instigated and got approved

Ashworth was treated so badly last winter it's no surprise he'd want to go back to Berwick where he has been hailed a hero. Also he's proved a point to the doubters amongst whom were many Sheffield fans that he is a true number one. As for Stead turning down more money elsewhere, Whilst I don't know any details at all, there are many ways to skin a cat: i would have thought that the cap relates to points money. They can do other things with sponsorship, vans, signing on fees etc etc surely. any way, as many riders are finding, it's not the money you're promised that matters, it's the money in your pocket!! Good point Friddy about Stead's motivation. Seemed Sheffield were more keen on signing him than he wanted to go there.

It's Bizarre that Spin King is talking about finding a replacement for Ashworth when he never wanted to go in the first place!

Edited by Stan Duppcomic

Ashworth was treated so badly last winter it's no surprise he'd want to go back to Berwick where he has been hailed a hero. Also he's proved a point to the doubters amongst whom were many Sheffield fans that he is a true number one. As for Stead turning down more money elsewhere, Whilst I don't know any details at all, there are many ways to skin a cat: i would have thought that the cap relates to points money. They can do other things with sponsorship, vans, signing on fees etc etc surely. any way, as many riders are finding, it's not the money you're promised that matters, it's the money in your pocket!! Good point Friddy about Stead's motivation. Seemed Sheffield were more keen on signing him than he wanted to go there.

It's Bizarre that Spin King is talking about finding a replacement for Ashworth when he never wanted to go in the first place!

Did we adequately replace Ricky last season is more the point, one of the reasons we fail so much last season was the lack of a number who could win races in heat 13 and 15 something that Ricky would have done.

The one thing I would agree with is that Ricky was treated poorly, the club left it so late when releasing him he was left with very little choice on which club to join, and I think it has backfired on them.

But I think that its a move that has done the lad the world of good, and I can fully understand he reasons for wanting to stay with Berwick..

Why dont we wait until the team is announced. Then people can comment on the make up of the team. It cant be as bad as last year.If people dont think Steady is a good signing i dont no what to say. Imo i think he should be one of the top rider's in the premier league. If you watched the play off's that's how good he can be.

Simon Stead still has it. Awesome in the EL playoff final. I think he can reinvigorate your club like Sean Wilson did all those years ago. I honestly do.

Similarities to when Sean Wilson came back to the club, and a lot fans at Sheffield seem to think the same way reading the Sheffield Facebook pages.

What the Promotion need to do is to get a group of young hungry riders to build a side around him like they did when Sean was at the club. Back then they were British lads, would love them to be all British lads, but not really bothered where they come from as long as they want to ride for Sheffield speedway club.

And like it has already been said cannot be any worse than the team that we had last season.

Edited by spin king

My only worry for now is that i cant see the three riders we have signed increasing their averages, not that i am saying they are bad signings, but if we are to challenge at least three of the last four we sign must be capable of increasing their averages

I think collectively you won't see much put on their averages.

Steady will probably average around his figure.

I think Joe could make a slight improvement.

Cannot see Damien Koppe maintaining that figure.

Two ways that they can go is making a team that will allow Koppe to start at reserve, but that would give us a weaker heatleaders

or go for

Sticking a 3 point rider and a strong reserve near a 5 point average that could eventually allow Koppe to drop to reserve and have a stronger heatleaders.

I think that I would favour the latter.

You're all presuming Koppe won't be that good due to what he did in 2nd halves last season.

Anyone remember the Thomas Jorgensen debate? Quite a few said he wasn't up to it. Koppe will be good.

• Like 2

The supporters wont come flocking back if we get cheap riders, eg hall and sanchez, because we have signed stead, we need the right seven riders and the next three need to be riders who can improve, wells would do for one of them for me

I would add that will excite the fans as well.

There is still riders out there, and plenty to go at, will be interesting to see who they bring in, of last seasons team I think we may see one from last season but I suspect that it will be virtually a new team