British Speedway Forum

Sheffield 2013

I would argue that signing Stead will definately get people back through the turnstyles.

I suspect the average occasional supporter would'nt be bothered one way or the other about the likes of Hall, however Stead is a known "name" rider - particularly in Sheffield, and I suspect many fans will return just to see him alone.

I would argue that signing Stead will definately get people back through the turnstyles.

I suspect the average occasional supporter would'nt be bothered one way or the other about the likes of Hall, however Stead is a known "name" rider - particularly in Sheffield, and I suspect many fans will return just to see him alone.

I haven't been to Owlerton in two years from my Bradford home and I will get across now Stead will be riding

• Like 3

The mgt didn't deliberately pick a poor team last year. It just didn't work. Still enjoyed the racing at Sheffield though. Just poor away from home.Think back to the awful defeat at Newcastle in the cup. we were let down by Pepe, Chico and Skiddy, but Ricky Wells was a shining light supported only by Joe and Richard. We have to sign Ricky Wells who will improve his average. After that I think Richard Hall is worth the admission money alone at Sheffield but understand the arguments about his away form at some tracks.

I would agree, when there was talk of Swindon letting him go towards the end of last season, there were rumours going around that Sheffield were going to sign him, it created interest with some individuals I know who hadn't been for a while and their talking of making a return next year!

The supporters wont come flocking back if we get cheap riders, eg hall and sanchez, because we have signed stead, we need the right seven riders and the next three need to be riders who can improve, wells would do for one of them for me

From what I've heard Hall didn't come cheap last season, but I agree that we need seven riders who can compliment each other as a team, both home & away. It's the only way if you want to finish in the top half of the league!

You're all presuming Koppe won't be that good due to what he did in 2nd halves last season.

Anyone remember the Thomas Jorgensen debate? Quite a few said he wasn't up to it. Koppe will be good.

I hope you're right ..............but doubt that you are. I don't think Koppe has anywhere near the reputation that Heeps did and he couldn't hit 5.00 in his first year.

The only thing is he most certainly could kick on in future seasons and that's why any criticism should be muted.

The supporters wont come flocking back if we get cheap riders, eg hall and sanchez, because we have signed stead, we need the right seven riders and the next three need to be riders who can improve, wells would do for one of them for me

I think you are dead right here. Signing Stead is brilliant but as good as he is he probably won't increase his average so the remaining riders need to be in with a shout of that.

It will. But if the next three are Sanchez, Franc and Hall they might think again.

Welcome to Sheffield Mr Jake Knight. ;

Interestingly it says on the Website that Jake joins new signings Simon Stead, Damien Koppe and the only surviving rider from the 2012 Sheffield team Joe Haines.

Could this mean that the next three signings are new to the Sheffield team.

The plot thickens.

There's some very optimistic people on facebook thinking we're going to sign Ashworth or Cook next.....

I'm sorry if I cant say anything more positive, but good luck to Jake. I'm no speedway manager but I saw enough last year to see he's not up to the premier league yet.

And how ever you try and interpret the statement, Joe Haines will not be the only rider returning from last year....WE ARE GOING TO GET HALL!

Edited by Friddy75

Would have thought if sheffield were going down the 3 pointer route then Sarj or Stefan Neilsen would have been the better option, i would love them to give Sarj a go local lad and all that.

Have to agree. According to the BSPA figures for 17/10/12, Knight's average is less than 5 per match in the NL. Nielsen is 3.5 points per match higher, yet he would come in on the same PL 3.00.

Knight did show a great deal of promise in 2010 and 2011 but he went backwards big time last year. Hopefully that promise will return, but there are a lot better NL riders that could have been chosen.

It all depends on the last three now. Unless at least 2 show some real potential for improvement, the money spent on Stead will be completely wasted.