British Speedway Forum

Very Disappointed With.....

This was a chance for British Speedway fans to pay tribute to Lee Richarson together instead of in little pockets all over the country. We also had fans from all over europe there who could have joined in. It should have been made into a Rico day, a one off just 15 weeks after his death. There should have been a 2 mins silence for all fans from europe to observe together. There should have been a Rico tribute at the interval & even a collection made (yes you would need many collectors). This was a chance to honor one of our favorite sons together and we blew it. His bike should have been on the introduction parade & perhaps even Emma could have said a few words about her husband. His sons were there with her and it would have been quite fitting.

Shame on you fits the bill, yes three full pages in the program were excellent, well done for that. But there should have been a lot more done to honour his memory.

Some say time to move on ... time to move on starts March 2013, a new season a new start. This one has been marred by the loss of one of our own, they let Lee down badly in my opinion.

• Like 3

This was a chance for British Speedway fans to pay tribute to Lee Richarson together instead of in little pockets all over the country. We also had fans from all over europe there who could have joined in. It should have been made into a Rico day, a one off just 15 weeks after his death. There should have been a 2 mins silence for all fans from europe to observe together. There should have been a Rico tribute at the interval & even a collection made (yes you would need many collectors). This was a chance to honor one of our favorite sons together and we blew it. His bike should have been on the introduction parade & perhaps even Emma could have said a few words about her husband. His sons were there with her and it would have been quite fitting.

Shame on you fits the bill, yes three full pages in the program were excellent, well done for that. But there should have been a lot more done to honour his memory.

Some say time to move on ... time to move on starts March 2013, a new season a new start. This one has been marred by the loss of one of our own, they let Lee down badly in my opinion.

As I've already said, IMO a period of silence at this point is not appropriate. The right time to do that was the GP immediately after Rico's death and that was done. That was the time to grieve.

Saturday should have been the time to celebrate the speedway career of Lee Richardson. They should have had a couple of minute's "noise" for Rico. Show a replay of the final of the 2004 British Grand Prix, plus footage of a couple of World Cup races, and ask the fans to blow their air horns and wave their flags throughout ("Let's raise the roof for Rico!!"). Would have probably produced the biggest noise of the night.

It's a real pity it wasn't done.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

As I've already said, IMO a period of silence at this point is not appropriate. The right time to do that was the GP immediately after Rico's death and that was done. That was the time to grieve.

Saturday should have been the time to celebrate the speedway career of Lee Richardson. They should have had a couple of minute's "noise" for Rico. Show a replay of the final of the 2004 British Grand Prix, plus footage of a couple of World Cup races, and ask the fans to blow their air horns and wave their flags throughout ("Let's raise the roof for Rico!!"). Would have probably produced the biggest noise of the night.

It's a real pity it wasn't done.

All the best

Rob

Yep would have been happy with that :approve:

I too was expeecting some kind of tribute in the form of a montage of Lee in action. As there were so many #RICO t shirts being worn, it would have been a thought to have got everyone wearing them to stand, to just gauge how successfull "Make Cardiff a White Out for Rico" had been (well done to Freya Louis, by the way, for driving this scheme)

It is a difficult situation for the organisers to have a tribute for Lee Richardson only. My suggestion would be to, in the interval, show a slideshow of anyone connected to speedway that has left us during the time between British Grand Prix/ previous 12 months. That way, riders, officials and even die-hard supporters could be honoured, in the same way as they do at the BAFTAs when they take a moment to remember those that are no longer with us. Just a thought

Overall Cardiff was a good event, although I felt that it was a little "flat" this year. Perhaps they should change the guy on the microphone ;)

• Like 1

I too was expeecting some kind of tribute in the form of a montage of Lee in action. As there were so many #RICO t shirts being worn, it would have been a thought to have got everyone wearing them to stand, to just gauge how successfull "Make Cardiff a White Out for Rico" had been (well done to Freya Louis, by the way, for driving this scheme)

It is a difficult situation for the organisers to have a tribute for Lee Richardson only. My suggestion would be to, in the interval, show a slideshow of anyone connected to speedway that has left us during the time between British Grand Prix/ previous 12 months. That way, riders, officials and even die-hard supporters could be honoured, in the same way as they do at the BAFTAs when they take a moment to remember those that are no longer with us. Just a thought

Overall Cardiff was a good event, although I felt that it was a little "flat" this year. Perhaps they should change the guy on the microphone ;)

Perhaps a union jack blazer instead of the white one Presenter? ;)

I too was a little disappointed that there wasn't any mention of Rico during the meeting, but was impressed with the #RICO stand in the middle of the fans zone in the city centre, along with the tribute in the programme.

Wasn't expecting a colleciton as I don't think these are sanctioned at FIM events, but a minutes noise at Rico's home grand prix would have been an amazingly fitting tribute, a similar tribute for Marco Simoncelli at the Valencia MotoGP round last november was spine tingling.

I do think British Speedway needs to do something lasting to pay tribute to Lee, maybe installing the Richardson Trophy for the team who finishes top of the league before the play-off's?

• Like 1

I do think British Speedway needs to do something lasting to pay tribute to Lee, maybe installing the Richardson Trophy for the team who finishes top of the league before the play-off's?
Or how about as our last British World Under 21 Champion, call the cup the U21 Champion wins the Lee Richardson cup.

I was going to say, they should have at least dedicated a page in the programme, so if three pages were dedicated to Lee then I am not sure what more people could expect. The whole of the speedway community have already grieved for Lee, and collections have taken place around the world from what I have read, and most of those at the GP would have already donated. So yes, it was right to make some tribute, which the programme did, but that is about as far as it could have gone really.

I was going to say, they should have at least dedicated a page in the programme, so if three pages were dedicated to Lee then I am not sure what more people could expect. The whole of the speedway community have already grieved for Lee, and collections have taken place around the world from what I have read, and most of those at the GP would have already donated. So yes, it was right to make some tribute, which the programme did, but that is about as far as it could have gone really.

Not everyone bought the programme, especially at that price. Most people around us didn't have a prog. Was disappointing to just mention people wearing the shirts, and have some naff karaoke singer, and dance troupe given 10 minutes each. Poor show for GB's top-points scorer.

Not everyone bought the programme, especially at that price. Most people around us didn't have a prog. Was disappointing to just mention people wearing the shirts, and have some naff karaoke singer, and dance troupe given 10 minutes each. Poor show for GB's top-points scorer.

But it was not a BSPA event, it was a SGP event. I personally think the British Final would have been the most fitting place for a tribute for Lee.

Swindon will be honouring Lee next year in a special memorial meeting at Blunsdon. And he was honoured 2 weeks ago at Steady's testimonial with the 1-minute silence. Hope there's a massive turn-out at Lakeside next month.

Not sure on the best way to take this forward realy?

When would his close family like the reminders to stop? maybe quickly, maybe never?

Perhaps event organisers should just ask them? (We want to do a tribute "video, book, meeting" etc etc) Is that ok with you his closest family?

And respect their wishes.

A top racer, but also a family man & their wishes MUST BE RESPECTED.

M

I kind of find the argument that there didn't need to be a minutes silence because it had been done in the GP straight after Rico's death ridiculous. Lakeside held a minutes silence in their first meeting following the crash but I am sure everyone would expect to observe a minutes silence at the meeting in September (okay I know it is a meeting in his memory but its still the case). We honour minute's silence's for years on some occasions, is one minute of either silence or noise really to hard to build into the GP schedule? It could have been done before the riders went on parade so that it wasn't part of the main event, but it would have been appreciated by so many.

I think it was a missed opportunity for British speedway. This is the biggest speedway event on the calendar in the UK where fans from all over the world attend whilst there was stuff in the program they also said that they "would honour Rico tonight" as far as I am concerned that didn't happen.

I definately agree it was an opportunity missed :sad: Obviously it should have been "ok'd" by the Richardson Family beforehand but I was expecting a minutes silence before the meeting at the parade..........it was the 1st BRITISH GP since his death.

Thats like a F1 driver dying and then his 'home' gp not respecting him at the 1st Gp after...it would have happened.

Thank Goodness applause broke out when the white tshirts were mentioned or there wold have been no mention of Lee at all last saturday :cry: