British Speedway Forum

Panthers 2013 Thread

Peterborough's attendence is poor compared to most other clubs ive been there plenty of times and its usually less than 500 except for local derbies or matches with the top 2 or 3 sides or world cup matches

Well ive missed about 20 meetings since 1972, and rarely have i seen crowds of less than 500 :shock:
  • Like 1

At other clubs people are kidding themselves for instance I went to poole and whilst queing to get in the locals said "we get 5000 here every week" and the truth was there was no more than what we get at peterborough..just looks more as its a tiny "grandstand". As for Lakeside and Eastbourne well I dont know how they survive!.

People talk absolute rubbish about attendances based on what they think.

Estimating crowd sizes by sight is notoriously difficult but speedway crowds fluctuate considerably from week to week depending on a number of factors, although the know-alls who think they can estimate crowd sizes seem to think they are more or less the same every week. A couple of years ago Lakeside published some attendance information on their website. The lowest was 400 for a televised Wolves match on a very cold wet, Monday when watching on TV was amore attractive proposition and the highest was getting on for 2800 for a local derby with Eastbourne on a sunny bank holiday. The general pattern, according to information published by the promotion is that attendances start off high then gradually drop off until the school holidays then pick up again. I would imagine most clubs follow a similar sort of pattern so taking one or two meetings as a snapshot and assuming those meetings represent the average crowd throughout the season is wildly inaccurate.

However, the fact remains that it is not the promotions of Lakeside, Eastbourne, Kings Lynn, or anyone else apart from Peterborough that have been making public threats to close down because of poor crowds and more particularly poor sponsorship so whatever guesstimates people put on it the EOES crowds they are not healthy.

Not that black and white -

My car was one of those behind the GrandStand -Season Ticket holder entitled to free parking on main car park - we were allowed to park behind the Grandstand for several months beacause she who has to be "consulted" had had major surgery on her foot and could not walk far.

Peterborough speedway is very good at supporting those with disabilities and those suffering serious illness or recovering from illness and surgery. They also run a scheme where for a higher season ticket price individuals can get a sort of corporate sponsorship which among other things entitles them to park inside the Showground.

You may find that a least one of the more "crochety" regular posters on this forum gets to park there as well - but I dare not mention who, as it would no doubt result in a verbal ear bashing and possibly broken legs :D

[this post has been reviewed by she who must be consulted]

Terry

Terry, Good point mate..

Yeah i agree it's good that the promoters make allowances for people who struggle. But that night I recall there were loads of cars parked up there. So even taken out some for ticket holders and concessions, i still feel there are some pulling a fast one........

Not that black and white -

My car was one of those behind the GrandStand -Season Ticket holder entitled to free parking on main car park - we were allowed to park behind the Grandstand for several months beacause she who has to be "consulted" had had major surgery on her foot and could not walk far.

Peterborough speedway is very good at supporting those with disabilities and those suffering serious illness or recovering from illness and surgery. They also run a scheme where for a higher season ticket price individuals can get a sort of corporate sponsorship which among other things entitles them to park inside the Showground.

You may find that a least one of the more "crochety" regular posters on this forum gets to park there as well - but I dare not mention who, as it would no doubt result in a verbal ear bashing and possibly broken legs :D

[this post has been reviewed by she who must be consulted]

Terry

Crocherty regular posters, not sure I know who you mean Terry, lol

Thats because it really is that obvious. There can only be one outcome. Peterborough just need to face up to it.

With due respect you miss my point. It cannot be right for the chairman of the adjudicating organisation to conclude in public prior to the hearing. Without all the facts I cannot comment as to whether it is obvious or not. The danger for Swindon (web check Companies House) in Harkness commenting prior to the hearing is it may give Peterborough grounds for appeal on the basis he unduly influenced the decision of the adjudicating panel. That said this is speedway so I guess it may be fine.

It's a strange one that. A place as big as Peterborough should get better support then they do. It's the same with the football, a team in the championship deserve far better attendances then the POSH get. I appreciate they is a big percentages of foriegner in this area, but the main reason must be the current economic climate where the moneys tight.

Went to EESG to watch the match Vs Poole at the back end of last year, the attendance weren't that good, but what surprised me was the amount of free cars parked behind the main Grandstand. There were more there, then in the main car park. Are these counted in the attendances?

All I know, that in this day and age the clubs needs all the support they can get.........

i think you may be OVER estimating how many KL fans actually come from KL