British Speedway Forum

Panthers 2013 Thread

Am I missing something here? All he's actually said is they won't all be made to be purchases and some will be loans?

Also said he wants to know Peterborough's line up to finalise the descision?

Not much said at all really? I suspect Lynn will loan NKI as they've bought Schlein, and Swindon will buy Batch, who BSPA have already admitted they should never have had to buy, and Hans will go on loan.

Usual sort of BSPA botched compromise!

Why they can't just write a rulebook and stick to it is anyone's guess.

And yes, I understand that the AM situation has probably tainted Swindons view of the loan / transfer market.

One thing for sure in all this mess is that clubs will think twice before buying assets in the future. This will hit prem lge clubs that often keep their heads above water by selling new young talents. Now that clubs can illegally approach riders, do deals and then demand to the controlling body that they be allowed to ride for them, i would suggest their is no need to ever buy again. I sense this is far from over...

• Like 2

Panthers rocked by claims of Robins boss

Published on Tuesday 8 January 2013 16:21

A winter storm appears to be well and truly brewing between Peterborough Panthers and Elite League champions Swindon Robins.

The two clubs were at loggerheads today over the future of Australian rider Troy Batchelor. The Panthers asset is wanted by Swindon again in 2013 after helping them to the title while on loan last year.

Robins promoter Gary Patchett scoffed at Panthers co-owner Julie Mahoney’s weekend statement which insisted Batchelor is only available on a full transfer following a ruling from the British Speedway Promoters’ Association (BSPA).

Patchett claims he does not have to buy a rider who doesn’t feature in the plans of his parent club, as is the case with Batchelor.

He also insisted in an interview with the Swindon Advertiser that Panthers are unable to refuse him permission to open negotiations with the Aussie who move from Swindon to Peterborough on a full transfer in 2009.

Patchett said: “I have spoken to members of the BSPA Management Committee who have told me that whilst it might be Peterborough’s wish to transfer Troy, they clearly didn’t ever consider him for a place at Peterborough by the fact they announced Linus Sundstrom before the AGM. They can now only put one rider alongside him.

“They may want to sell him but that doesn’t put the onus on us to buy him. We can’t be obliged to buy a rider that doesn’t feature in the parent club’s plans and we won’t buy him.

“They have very publicly discounted him from their own side and I have now asked for Peterborough’s permission as well as the BSPA’s permission to enter negotiations with Troy regarding a contract for next year.

“That permission can’t be denied and the reason I have asked for it is that nobody can hold anything against us in the future, and I have asked for permission to begin negotiations about bringing Troy here on loan.”

Mahoney responded by quoting an official BSPA document to defend her position.

She said: “On December 20 I received in writing a ruling from the BSPA which states ‘Management Committee have agreed that Troy Batchelor should be made available for full transfer in consideration of his public statements’.

“Yet now we have basically been branded liars by another promoter and that is not on.

“We can only act upon the correspondence we receive from the BSPA.”

The Batchelor situation is expected to feature on the agenda when the BSPA Management Committee meet on January 15.

It is understood that Panthers’ appeal over a ruling that asset Niels Kristian Iversen can return to local rivals King’s Lynn on loan will also be discussed.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/speedway/panthers-rocked-by-claims-of-robins-boss-1-4658414

She said: “On December 20 I received in writing a ruling from the BSPA which states ‘Management Committee have agreed that Troy Batchelor should be made available for full transfer in consideration of his public statements’

Not quite as specific as some would have you believe i.e he is available for full transfer if anyone wants to buy him (with the inference being that if there are no takers then it is back to being loaned).

What rule has been broken by Swindon then? Peterborough not using either Hans or Batch (apparently) so the rules say they can go out on loan.

Lets go back 3 years to the winter of 2009/10, when the boot was on the other foot. Swindon gave permission for Lakeside to talk to Lee Richardson and later withdrew it, although they never named Rico in their own line-up. The result was that Rico started the 2010 season without an EL team place, and only got into Lakeside after Kasprzak was sacked two months into the season.

A bit of Karma going on with Swindon maybe ? Maybe not an exact parallel but Swindon are not whiter than white in all this.

• Like 3

The Swindon Panthers and Birmingham Bees will be contesting a new trophy this year called the Dick Turpin Cup, according to the Highwayman Gazette. The trophy has kindly been donated by Alex Harkess, and he has sent the bill to Rick Frost.

Rick's keen on recycling apparently so will return the invoice aong with the Hokey Cokey cup. They can use that instead and it'll also serve as a reminder that speedway administration has yet to move into the 21st Century.

One thing for sure in all this mess is that clubs will think twice before buying assets in the future. This will hit prem lge clubs that often keep their heads above water by selling new young talents. Now that clubs can illegally approach riders, do deals and then demand to the controlling body that they be allowed to ride for them, i would suggest their is no need to ever buy again. I sense this is far from over...

So what did Swindon pay Glasgow recently for Nick Morris, nectar points.

• Like 2

Lets go back 3 years to the winter of 2009/10, when the boot was on the other foot. Swindon gave permission for Lakeside to talk to Lee Richardson and later withdrew it, although they never named Rico in their own line-up. The result was that Rico started the 2010 season without an EL team place, and only got into Lakeside after Kasprzak was sacked two months into the season.

A bit of Karma going on with Swindon maybe ? Maybe not an exact parallel but Swindon are not whiter than white in all this.

Absolutely no relevance at all to the discussion except to throw mud Swindon's way! I didn't say that Swindon were squeaky clean in everything they do but in this situation I merely asked what they had done wrong.

• Like 1

Lol its quite amusing watching some of the more touchy Panthers fans on here when at the end of the day it's there club and there insistence on dragging along there teambuilding that is the real problem between them and Swindon...not quite sure where the petulance of blupanther comes from with his/her snidey comments about highway robbery come from...Swindon have done the correct thing and make an offer for Andersen as well as seek permission from them to speak to there so called 'assets'...none of whom except KB they actually intend on using this season especially since the ruling on 2 in the top twenty averages was announced.

All we get is after the event comments from Mahoney about Batchelor and his comments that why would he want to ride for a club that does not want to use him?..well the clues right there they do not wish to use him this year just like last year so on what grounds would any club be forced to pay a transfer fee?...very much different to Miedzinski last season who was offered a teamplace for the umpteenth season in succession but declined whereas Frostoney had or have zero intention of using Troy...just a pity idiots like Shovlar and a handful of uptight Peterborough fans cannot see the difference.

Peterborough need to learn a lesson and that is to stop p*****g there riders around when its been very clear for a while Bjerre was there preference..for all we know he may even had already signed a contract!

The Swindon Panthers and Birmingham Bees will be contesting a new trophy this year called the Dick Turpin Cup, according to the Highwayman Gazette. The trophy has kindly been donated by Alex Harkess, and he has sent the bill to Rick Frost.

What are you like 10 or something? :blink::rofl:

• Like 1

Am I missing something here? All he's actually said is they won't all be made to be purchases and some will be loans?

Also said he wants to know Peterborough's line up to finalise the descision?

Not much said at all really? I suspect Lynn will loan NKI as they've bought Schlein, and Swindon will buy Batch, who BSPA have already admitted they should never have had to buy, and Hans will go on loan.

Usual sort of BSPA botched compromise!

Why they can't just write a rulebook and stick to it is anyone's guess.

And yes, I understand that the AM situation has probably tainted Swindons view of the loan / transfer market.

Yes please!

Have you actually read what he's written?

He's said some have to be transfers, some have to be loans. Where's the consistency and sense in that? Who makes the decision on which have to be bought (Schlein) and who has to be loaned (Panthers' three)? And here we have the judge giving his summing-up before the trial/appeal whatever stage this is has been held. You think that's sense?

Only in UK speedway could you have the chairman of the organisation that is due to adjudicate making a public statement in favour of one party prior to the hearing. Regardless of the merit of his opinion, going public prior to the hearing does not appear the brightest of moves.

• Like 3

That's a good point, but I'm trying to see this from all sides here. I can see what you are talking about with regards to Miedzinski. Of course a precedent was set there, but it isn't being consistantly adhered to. What Harkess has said is so open ended, you'd be hard pressed to get more than two people on this forum to come to the same conclusion.

As a result of all this, if Rick Frost wants to walk away from the sport, who could honestly blame him? Now I'm not his biggest fan by a long way, but if (and it's a big if) he walks and wants to see a profit out of it, who are we to argue?

The big problem here is lack of leadership from those who should really matter. Why on earth can't this small group of people (the BSPA) actually make a decision and stick to it? Why does every transfer have to be looked at separately? All the BSPA have to say is that as a result of the Miedzinski ruling last year, and with the current economic climate, loans no matter how long, whether they be for two years, two months, two weeks, two days or even two minutes are here to stay and transfers are suspended for the time being and will be reviewed at the next AGM. It's not perfect, I know. It's a compromise, compromises don't please everyone, but at least it would be a binding decision and everyone would know where they stood.

The sport has staggered along with a 'vested interest' approach for too long now. That, combined with the prospect of the Sky safety net being withdrawn and financial armageddon in the world generally could spell the end of our great sport. And do any of us on here really want that?

Unfortunately promoters seem to be both blind and deaf to the long term future of the sport. I wish they'd wake up!
  • Like 1

Lol its quite amusing watching some of the more touchy Panthers fans on here when at the end of the day it's there club and there insistence on dragging along there teambuilding that is the real problem between them and Swindon...

Peterborough need to learn a lesson and that is to stop p*****g there riders around when its been very clear for a while Bjerre was

It's their not there! ;)

Stupid rule telling a team with 5 top 20 assets that they are only allowed to have 2 in their team for 2013...

Complete and utter bollox! ;)

Only in UK speedway could you have the chairman of the organisation that is due to adjudicate making a public statement in favour of one party prior to the hearing. Regardless of the merit of his opinion, going public prior to the hearing does not appear the brightest of moves.

yes very good point :t:

Harkness has always been a joke - Old boys pals act? :o

• Like 2

at the end of the day it's there club and there insistence on dragging along there teambuilding

Which they are entitled to do aren't they. They said they had to change direction after the AGM which was only a couple of months ago. I remember Bratters saying that he was already planning for the next season from April so we're doing pretty well really considering. I'd say it's the BSPA messing the riders around, it'd all have been sorted by now but for another AGM curve ball. It's quite amusing watching the Robins fans etc frothing at the mouth. Calm down dear and have patience it'll all turn out as it was at the beginning.

and for the pedants amongst us, it's "their" (apologies FP you got there first!)

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

Just thought I would throw this is from the Bournemouth Echo dated 15/11/12.

Meanwhile, Ford also revealed that Poole asset Jason Doyle was under consideration.

The Australian lifted his average from 5.28 to 6.50 as he helped Swindon to Elite League glory last term.

Doyle has already stated he would be keen to stay at Blunsdon in 2013 but Ford insisted: “Jason Doyle is very much an option. He had a great year and he did exactly what we always knew he could do.”

Ford added: “I don’t care if I don’t disclose the final team member until March 1, I really am in no hurry this year.

“It will have to be contracts that are beneficial to the club and if that means us taking our time in our assets, other clubs are just going to have to be understanding that our riders won’t be released until that point.”

• Like 4

P'boro planning their exit strategy? Trying to sell off any riders of worth incase the Sky money goes at the end of the 2013 season?

Maybe planning for a future drop into the PL or shake up of the EL/PL structure?

I think exit strategy is exactly right. However I really do not see how many on this board seem to think it is perfectly acceptable to have rules that apply to some and not to others.