British Speedway Forum

Panthers 2013 Thread

Looks a tidy team, the one question mark is Bjerre though. Coming back from a nasty broken leg whilst going through a very poor spell last season as well as always going missing in the play offs... I reckon he is a huge risk.

Hasn't stopped him in previous years and his break last year wasn't as bad as his two earlier breaks.

I wouldn't bet against him getting back into the GP,s and if he does the Panthers should benefit on the back of it.

Patrick will be a good signing providing he regains his confidence after his bad crash last year. Another season at Kirky Lane would have done him no good at all. There is every chance he will increase his average significantly at EOS but would not have done so had he stayed at Belle Vue.

I wish him well.

• Like 6

My idea of a good side is one that is capable of winning both home and away and this side fits that bill. I can recall stronger line-ups at home, but you always lost the away matches. Comparing you with the Lynn side, I don't think there's much too choice between them, Both are capable of winning away matches, and subsequently losing some points at home along the way. There are other teams that fall into the same category. Should make for an interesting season. We don't want another one like last year with some teams 30 pts. in front......

• Like 2

My idea of a good side is one that is capable of winning both home and away and this side fits that bill. I can recall stronger line-ups at home, but you always lost the away matches. Comparing you with the Lynn side, I don't think there's much too choice between them, Both are capable of winning away matches, and subsequently losing some points at home along the way. There are other teams that fall into the same category. Should make for an interesting season. We don't want another one like last year with some teams 30 pts. in front......

I disagree in my opinion Kings Lynn are stronger.

• Like 1

Agree with this. I think the timing of the first matches hands the initiative to KL though, with their riders having more collective experience around the Showground so should reverse last season's scores. They could be points lost that will be extremely hard to catch up over the season.

Agree with this. I think the timing of the first matches hands the initiative to KL though, with their riders having more collective experience around the Showground so should reverse last season's scores. They could be points lost that will be extremely hard to catch up over the season.

good point well made ;)

if we can get 3 points from these 2 meetings then we will have done well...! :o

Hasn't stopped him in previous years and his break last year wasn't as bad as his two earlier breaks.

I wouldn't bet against him getting back into the GP,s and if he does the Panthers should benefit on the back of it.

The last time he broke his leg he was back within a month... he broke his leg in August and still isn't fully fit yet will be in time for March... so it has taken him longer than the last time.

Panthers class of 2013 - the team that has it all

By Mark Plummer

Published on Friday 1 February 2013 12:12

Team boss Jan Staechmann says Panthers will boast the best of both worlds in 2013.

Staechmann believes the end result of some methodical winter team-building is a line-up blessed with top-end scoring power and strength-in-depth.

Normally in speedway you have to settle for one or the other, but Staechmann reckons Panthers have got the lot after completing their side with two captures in recent days.

The return of Danish ace Kenneth Bjerre as skipper and number one was swiftly followed by the arrival of his countryman Patrick Hougaard on loan from Belle Vue as the final pieces of the jigsaw slotted smoothly into place.

Hougaard (23) will start the season at reserve after arriving on what is seen as a bargain 4.98 average. He boasted a figure in excess of 7.50 less than two years ago before being hit by injury problems.

Now the attention turns to attempting to end a six-year honours drought and Staechmann said: “I’m very excited by the team we have assembled. We have got the guys we wanted.

“The team is packed with potential and my job is to make sure that is realised out on the track.

“I don’t see any reason why all seven of our riders can’t increase their starting averages and if that happens, you’re onto a winner.

“We have two big-hitters in Kenneth and Linus Sundstrom at the top of the order and we also have plenty of strength in depth right the way through the rest of the team.

“Normally you can only manage one or the other so I’m very pleased that we have the best of both worlds within the same team.

“I fully expect the new-look team to hold its own at home while hopefully getting a few more results on the road.

“It goes without saying that a top-four finish to reach the play-offs is the goal.”

Peterborough Panthers: Kenneth Bjerre (8.18 av), Linus Sundstrom (7.87), Kenni Larsen (6.57), Norbert Kosciuch (5.50), Ryan Fisher (5.27), Patrick Hougaard (4.98), Dakota North (3.47).

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/speedway/panthers-class-of-2013-the-team-that-has-it-all-1-4747720