British Speedway Forum

Rye House 2013

I honestly believe the only riders we should keep are Mellgren and Garrity. I think Mellgren will be a real trump card next year on what is still a relatively low average. Rye would be mad not to sign him as IMO he will be a number 1 in nearly any team by the end of next season. Garrity has shown real promise espcially lately despite being injured. Id be ok with Gjedde but would prefer Doyle or prehaps Masters. Wouldnt mind Lanham as a 3rd heat leader/2nd string. The whole place needs a shake up

I honestly believe the only riders we should keep are Mellgren and Garrity. I think Mellgren will be a real trump card next year on what is still a relatively low average. Rye would be mad not to sign him as IMO he will be a number 1 in nearly any team by the end of next season. Garrity has shown real promise espcially lately despite being injured. Id be ok with Gjedde but would prefer Doyle or prehaps Masters. Wouldnt mind Lanham as a 3rd heat leader/2nd string. The whole place needs a shake up

I believe that dependent on the average that Kasper Lykke finishes the season on, that he will increase his average next year. He normally stays with whoever he is riding against and is pretty fearless at overtaking in places where it is often considered impossible. The problem is that he normally gives the opposition a 10m head start as his gating is so poor. I have seen Neathy giving him tips at the start gates after meetings, but as I am not a rider myself I do not know if gating can be learnt or if it is just speed of reaction to an outside trigger which is genetic ??

I think he will improve next year and will improve a lot more if he can get his gating sorted.

If averages dictate that he can start at reserve next year then I think he is a 'no brainer' to be included in the line up.

Despite the scepticism of some when the team was announced, the fact is that we have been on the cusp of the pay-offs for a reasonable part of the season. But my goodness it really has gone over the cliff from July. Are we really going to finish bottom? With only home & away matches against Edinburgh to go & the need to get something from at least one of those matches there is a real prospect of this. Still, we could do what Johnnie Hoskins would do - deck the wooden spoon with blue & yellow ribbons and parade it proudly! :D

Still if you only look back, you'll only see your own shadow. So what about 2013?

One thing is for sure, if history repeats itself we'll know the team immediately after the points limit for 2013 is confirmed. Last nights Len's Lines indicate that the basis of the team next year will be:

Mellgren

Lykke

Garrity

Nelson

I think that would be a good starting point with a lot of potential for improvement on their starting averages and great potential for entertaining racing. They will go to any track home or away and give it a right go!

As Bunyan was purchased my hunch is that he will be back next season unless he finally clears off to NZ. I thought he was worth a punt this year on his average and I was expecting more. Maybe if he's back next year we will get more. Or will we get another Ritchie Hawkins? Personally I'd give him another go.

As for the rest I guess it depends on the points ceiling and how close Len wants to go to it, (my sense is that Len builds a team on the basis of people and not the averages numbers game). Having spoken with Chris Neath at Rye the other week it is clear that he is an awfully long way from being fit enough to ride even if he wants to after such an injury that bad as it is really could have turned out so much worse. Luke Bowen has already been ruled out until at least June so will Len do one of his interim arrangements (as per Boxall in 2011 & Nelson in 2012) as he is on record as saying that as long as Luke wants to ride for Rye there will be a place for him?

I think there is a reasonable propsect of Leigh Lanham being a Rocket. I cannot conceive that he will be back at Ipswich and given his brief Rye adventure this year and his experience at Ipswich I have a feeling that he may well end up at Rye in 2012.

I'd like a proper number one and I think many were surprised that Len signed Gjedde. I'm not that bothered about Gjedde coming back and when Rye have had big hitting number one's it has normally been through the natural progression of talented young riders like Tai and Linus.

As for the rest, I couldn't care less about the format of the pre-meeting parade - just get on with the meeting!

I also want meetings to be run promptly. The Development League matches have given an impetus to get on with it & long may that continue.

I like a programme. Rye's has improved in relation to photographs but I would like to see interviews / profiles of the Rye riders. Also the paper is such that the impression of my writing on the scoresheet makes an impression on other pages. Aaaargh!

I agree that Craig Saul is a good announcer. I just wish he'd stop these ridiculous nicknames for the riders. I agree that rider interviews would be good (as long as this does not mean that Bryn takes over the announcing!)

As for the Rye website, this is shockingly bad but I'm not holding my breath for any improvement. I'd love to be proved wrong.

Finally my most earnest wish for 2013 is - 'Chris for Prime Minister'. The campaign starts here....... :D :D :D

What we,d all like and what we can or will get is often different, I would like.

Grajzczonek, Garrity, Mellgren, Nelson, Doyle, Lykke. Gathercole, now that would be entertaining!

You dont want much then Ken

Having only one rider left in the team from the starting seven is always going to result in a bad season, especially with the bad injuries involving top end riders.

Good luck in the team bulding for 2013, with so many long term injuries, can't see Bunyan being back next year, he's obviously playing with his average for next year, how come he scored paid 23 points this weekend, from two meetings, but will still be at reserve next year, probably in EL and PL.

can't see Bunyan being back next year, he's obviously playing with his average for next year, how come he scored paid 23 points this weekend, from two meetings, but will still be at reserve next year, probably in EL and PL.

When he was with the IOW I was told he deliberately went out and scored 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 in the final home meeting, just to keep his average low enough for the following season, although the promoter paid him for a maximum. Of course this is only alleged, but if true he has form.

When he was with the IOW I was told he deliberately went out and scored 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 in the final home meeting, just to keep his average low enough for the following season, although the promoter paid him for a maximum. Of course this is only alleged, but if true he has form.

But with rolling averages, such a performance nowadays wouldn't mean a bag of beans.

i was at that meeting shads. poor old bunners had big bike problems that night! :wink:

Why wouldn't you want a rider on a bargain average?

You won't win anything building a side on a rider's personality.

What's it got to do with his personality? I'm more confused with the fact that he's gone missing for a full season, yet there's still a load of fans who'd have him back! I'd be more worried whether he'd actually turn up and how a full season out would effect his performance.

Edited by spin king junior

What's it got to do with his personality? I'm more confused with the fact that he's gone missing for a full season, yet there's still a load of fans who'd have him back! I'd be more worried whether he'd actually turn up and how a full season out would effect his performance.

Ah most people who aren't fans of him coming back are so because he has a bit of a shady past. He's a talented rider, I'd expect he'd still be active riding moto x etc in Oz and at 19 he's still got time on his side.

the team i would like to see at Rye for 2013 would be

Doyle

Auty

Masters

Mellgren

Garrity

Morley or any 3.00 point rider

Lykke on a 4 point or below

Poor old Len would have a heart attack if he saw that line up ££££££££££££££££££

Auty turned the Rockets down this year because the package wasn't to his liking. I doubt he'll lower his demands for next year!

Edited by Shadders