British Speedway Forum

Rye House 2013

I don't know if you're old enough to remember the latter half of the 1985 season when we signed Julian Parr from Scunthorpe to replace the injured Rob Woffinden. Parr averaged over 9 points during the last handful of league meetings and looked a real star in the making. Unfortunately the 1986 season saw him average around half that

I am old enough ( i was 9 in 1985 ) but unfortunately I only started watching speedway in 1988, my first meeting was a home 48-48 draw with a Middlesborough side that included Martin Dixon and Mark Fiora if i remember correctly!! back in the old 16 heat NL format!! Jens Rasmussen was our star performer then, Paul woods was out injured and we had Carl Chalcraft and Peter Schroeck at reserve!!!! I became instantly hooked on the sport and couldnt stop going right up to the closure at the end of '93. I came back when it all re-opened, but in the last 2 seasons ive barely attended. Its mainly financial reasons but also as a grown up I find it VERY hard to take the way speedway is run. Its THE most un-proffesional hierachy running it with only their own interests in mind. The rules are over complicated and a joke. Things like the double point tactical ride are SO stupid its beyond belief!! Incredible that supposedly astute, clever people could come up with rules like that!! And to read that there are fans out there that support such ridiculous rules makes me think that speedway will always be a struggling minority sport because no-one will wake up and smell the coffee!!!

I am old enough ( i was 9 in 1985 ) but unfortunately I only started watching speedway in 1988, my first meeting was a home 48-48 draw with a Middlesborough side that included Martin Dixon and Mark Fiora if i remember correctly!! back in the old 16 heat NL format!! Jens Rasmussen was our star performer then, Paul woods was out injured and we had Carl Chalcraft and Peter Schroeck at reserve!!!! I became instantly hooked on the sport and couldnt stop going right up to the closure at the end of '93. I came back when it all re-opened, but in the last 2 seasons ive barely attended. Its mainly financial reasons but also as a grown up I find it VERY hard to take the way speedway is run. Its THE most un-proffesional hierachy running it with only their own interests in mind. The rules are over complicated and a joke. Things like the double point tactical ride are SO stupid its beyond belief!! Incredible that supposedly astute, clever people could come up with rules like that!! And to read that there are fans out there that support such ridiculous rules makes me think that speedway will always be a struggling minority sport because no-one will wake up and smell the coffee!!!

know where you're coming from - (and a happy new year to you as well) - seriously though despite all the stupid rules etc the sport is still about 4 (very brave) people carving each other up for 4 laps and as long as there are people who want to race I will be there to support them

• Like 5

know where you're coming from - (and a happy new year to you as well) - seriously though despite all the stupid rules etc the sport is still about 4 (very brave) people carving each other up for 4 laps and as long as there are people who want to race I will be there to support them

happy new year to you too Sid! Hopefully I'll get along a bit more this season and catch up with you by the startline!! incidentally, do your grandchildren still like to attend? I find it difficult to convince my kids to go any more. You are spot on though, the basic product (4 bikes, 4 laps) is still as fantastic as ever. I'll never fully leave the sport, i love it too much! its in my heart and will always be my favourite sport. I just get down and quite frankly dumbfounded by the ridiculous rules and regulations. Maybe one day i'll be back in a position financially to attend every single meeting (as I always used to), I still subscribe to speedway star and watch it on the t.v. every week. take care Sid and hopefully see you soon!

And I hope to see you both this season. I've fallen into bad habits of staying home/in pub on Saturday nights & reading of what happened on & off the track has not yet convinced me to return on a permanent basis like I used to.

I have missed "the startline crowd" though - good fun chatting to everyone about everything, oh, and jeeering the refs decisions of course!

And I hope to see you both this season. I've fallen into bad habits of staying home/in pub on Saturday nights & reading of what happened on & off the track has not yet convinced me to return on a permanent basis like I used to.

I have missed "the startline crowd" though - good fun chatting to everyone about everything, oh, and jeeering the refs decisions of course!

Come back and join us. It was so bad at times last year I think that Startline Sid and myself were the only two in the stand at a couple of Raiders meetings. This year even if we are not at the very top of the league table we certainly have some exciting young riders in Anders, Tyson, Jason G and Kasper )))

Taken from Speedwaygb website:

2013 Australian Speedway Championship – Qualifying Meeting (Gillman Raceway)

Provisional Result:

1) Alex Davies 12, 2) Adam Shields 12, 3) Ty Proctor 11, 4) Jason Doyle 10, 5) Mark Lemon 9, 6) Kozza Smith 9, 7) Cameron Woodward 9, 8) Micky Dyer 8 (all qualify for Championship), 9) Mason Campton 8, 10) Todd Kurtz 6, 11) Max Fricke 6, 12) Cory Gathercole 5, 13) Jake Anderson 4, 14) Taylor Poole 4, 15) Tyson Nelson 4, 16) Joey Ringwood 3 :blink: Shock horror.

Provisional Result:

1) Alex Davies 12, 2) Adam Shields 12, 3) Ty Proctor 11, 4) Jason Doyle 10, 5) Mark Lemon 9, 6) Kozza Smith 9, 7) Cameron Woodward 9, 8) Micky Dyer 8 (all qualify for Championship), 9) Mason Campton 8, 10) Todd Kurtz 6, 11) Max Fricke 6, 12) Cory Gathercole 5, 13) Jake Anderson 4, 14) Taylor Poole 4, 15) Tyson Nelson 4, 16) Joey Ringwood 3 :blink: Shock horror.

Is it really that much of a shock?

Provisional Result:

I think the Taylor Poole and Cory Gathercole results are more of a shock than the Nelson result !!

I was of course being my cynical self. ;)

I fully expect him to be here at the start of the season, be our Team no.1 by the end of April and be honoured in the Queens birthday list. Oops, there I go again. :D

Posting courtesy of Facebook

Tyson Nelson

Good news got me work visa for uk. Pumped for 2013....Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

Edited by hooversquash

lets hope tyson uses his get out of jail free card..+-

Why would he need that?

Nelson & Garrity are now going to be 'Neighbours', living in caravans inside the stadium! It will be ok.......won't it? (The Greatest Show on Earth) :icon_smile_clown:

Oh dear!...... :blink:

Edited by Shadders

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

NEW ZEALAND CHAMPIONSHIP 2012/13

1. Jason Bunyan

2. Dale Finch

3. Sean Mason

Why would he need that?

Oh dear!...... :blink:

As the Stadium guard dogs were getting past their best, Len decided to replace them with the two lads, nothing wrong with that, just waiting to get approval from the BSPA, not sure if they can double up with Lakeside.

Nelson must be greatly heartened by some of the remarks on here. Rye House supporters will recall the exciting racing he provided in 2011 and the tremendous improvement and potential he showed.

if I recall correctly the court case in 2011 that was the subject of so much interest and misinformed speculation by the usual 'experts' actually involved residents of Canterbury and I am not aware that Nelson lived there.

I'm looking forward to seeing Nelson race for the Rockets in 2013 and wish him and all of the team the very best in the season ahead.

Congratulations to Jason B on another NZ championship - thanks for posting the result Lord Skid.