British Speedway Forum

British Final At Wolverhampton, Mon 30th July 2012

:party: A massive congratulations to scotty.he was awesome.im so glad he won it again.shame about eddie.he was riding so well until he lost his bike :o bless him.
  • Like 1

:party: A massive congratulations to scotty.he was awesome.im so glad he won it again.shame about eddie.he was riding so well until he lost his bike :o bless him.

Made me laugh when Eddie looked around for his bike after his fall and it was nowhere to be seen,its one of those moments where you think "did i really have that bigger blow to my head that i cant remember?" ALL in all i enjoyed the meeting.Did anyone else think Tom Perry was a little unlucky to get excluded when hi by Simon Stead? I know he locked up big time but he was easily in control of his bike when Simon hit him,All 4 i would say at the very least.

• Like 1

Stevebrum, im not sure if you know but i care not a jot for team GB and their results. What I do care about is individual riders especially those who put in effort for my club. Hence i would like to see Cookie do well internationally which will be against Oz in the "test meeting" or whatever it is. At the end of the day every rider starts somewhere. Take the GB Final for instance without his performance there Cookie wouldnt have been in this Test meeting. I just hope he can build from that.

I didnt say it is a poor event tho.

All i am saying is that other nations put forward there best up and coming assets and we leave it to a select few to ensure they get a chance.

Im not disputing the right man got the wild card. I am disputing that it is the correct way to select the Wild card.

Fair enough, out of interest who would you nominate for the wild card?

Did anyone else think Tom Perry was a little unlucky to get excluded when hi by Simon Stead? I know he locked up big time but he was easily in control of his bike when Simon hit him,All 4 i would say at the very least.

I would say it was 50/50. Perry pulled a massive locker and Stead decided to turn back into traffic. Could have gone either way.

Cookie :)

Impartial answers only ;) on last night's performance he'd certainly not disgrace himself. Personally I'd give it to Barker or King, youngish lads who have made our SWC teams in the last couple of years and who haven't yet had the experience of racing at Cardiff.

Without doubt Scott Nicholls is the best British rider by far and his 2 wins in the last 2 years in the British Final and passing Harris also into the bargain just proves that fact. But when you look at that line-up of riders taking part it just goes to show what a very sorry state British speedway is in, especially when a National League rider wins a race. This is at an all time low with not one up and coming rider of any note coming through and quite honestly cannot see it changing. Sad days indeed thank god theres riders from other countries to entertain us in the gp etc.

Which NL rider won a race???Roynon??

And from a fan of Ipswich who do so much for young british riders i find you comments a bit rich that there are no riders of any note coming through,unless given a chance there never will be,i can think or one or two riders who would beg to differ

Stevebrum, im not sure if you know but i care not a jot for team GB and their results. What I do care about is individual riders especially those who put in effort for my club. Hence i would like to see Cookie do well internationally which will be against Oz in the "test meeting" or whatever it is. At the end of the day every rider starts somewhere. Take the GB Final for instance without his performance there Cookie wouldnt have been in this Test meeting. I just hope he can build from that.

Well i have gathered that from some of youre posts you arent pro GB!!

I agree his performance lastnight earned him the call up when Woffy pulled out.

I have already wished the lad well at the opportunity and said i like him. :t:

Fair enough, out of interest who would you nominate for the wild card?

Woffy has upped his average and performances this year.

Richie Worrall (if fit) i would have loved to have seen given the opportunity

I would have given Ben Barker it last year.

Did anyone else think Tom Perry was a little unlucky to get excluded when hi by Simon Stead? I know he locked up big time but he was easily in control of his bike when Simon hit him,All 4 i would say at the very least.

I'm clearly biased but hand on heart I thought it was an obvious 'all-four-back'. Perry was ahead of Stead and within his right to hold a tight line. He was in control and would not have fallen had there not bee contact. Stead also was within his right to turn back from the outside and having done so had nowhere to go when faced by Perry going more slowly than him given the different lines they had taken. To his credit Stead tried to avoid contact but could not. Neither rider did anything wrong as such, it was just unfortunate that they crossed paths from different lines at different speeds. Right on the apex of the first turn the ref should have given the benefit of any doubt to both riders and simply restarted the heat.

This was nothing compared to how unlucky Perry was when Auty wiped him out. It was only his survival instinct that kept him on the bike in the first place but having had his foot rest snapped clean off he was going down as soon as the hit the turn. Quite how the ref let Auty get away with foul riding there I'll never know, and for the record I like Auty (generally speaking - he was wild last night).

----------------------

Following on from that, and still from an entirely biased point of view, I thought Perry gave a really good account of himself. He's only two and a half years into his speedway career and he made a lot of riders work hard last night. Apart from the heats mentions he made Lanham work hard to get the better of him and came so close to mugging Kennett and Barker. If he fully commits to speedway (still does lots of grass track and long track) the experience gained in the PL this season, and getting a few rides last night against that high class field (from his point of view) could really start to pay off next season. Well done the Somerset promotion for giving him a chance this season and importantly sticking by him. Hopefully he's done enough to convince all down there that he's worth a place next season too.

Congrats Scotty on a terrific win. He worked hard for that one! Truly entertaining and by far the best rider on show on the night. Forget Cardiff, it was all about becoming British Champion. The top Brits are desperate for that title and you don't ever hear them bringing up the possibility of a wild card place. It must have been heart breaking for Tai but such are the margins in speedway that it's usually the case that the rider originally leading often will not win a re-run heat. That's the nature of the sport unfortunately. He could do with learning to lose with a little more grace. The word caught on camera was unfortunate but it's more his words when interviewed by Porky (centre green announcer) that were an issue if anything. You've got to just take it on the chin and offer congratulations to Scotty. Although Bomber was also gutted and had a grumble about the bike he did at least congratulate Scott and say it's done with and time to move on to the next meeting. To end on a positive and not get labelled as Tai-bashing it is good to see how much it means to him and I do believe he'll go on to be clearly our best rider on the international stage for some time to come yet.

Kennett ride well and I'll leave it to the Cov fans to discuss the difference between the way he rode last night and last week. ;) King was unlucky to get caught up in a tight exit to a corner and come off worse. I actually think all three made very slight errors and it was so tight there wasn't room to avoid contact. But for that he would surely have been up with Stead and Barker as chasing a place in the final. Those two were worthy of their points haul. Cook was better, and certainly quicker, than I expected though I've seen him have some good rides at Monmore before. Roynon could easily have been on the verge of a semi-final place had he completed all his rides. A heat called back while leading (then finishing 2nd), a fall and an engine failure is never going to be overcome in this company. 7 from 3 completed rides was a very solid score though. I was a little disappointed that Robson didn't kick on from a good first ride and he didn't quite deliver his Monmore best after that. Still a solid result though. Ashworth rode better than I expected and he can very much hold his head high today. I didn't expect him to be in the mix and forcing so many riders to have to chase him down. Fair play to him. His performance was probably the biggest shock. Delighted to see Mear was not seriously hurt last night. Quite how he even managed to swing his leg over a bike again I'll never know. He must be made of rubber! Auty was the biggest disappointment both in terms of points and performance. Perhaps he was just wound up after messing up his first ride but he was a bit wild last night. It's a shame because I thought if there was to be a shock finalist then he would be the man. Lawson was out of his depth on a track I doubt he'll name amongst his favourites.

And just a footnote for anyone who can't get enough speedway. The Heathens host the Golden Hammer at Monmore tonight. Anyone having been to the British Final can get £2 off the adult admission cost (making it £10 for adults, £7 concessions and 'kids for a quid') by presenting their British Final admission ticket at the gate tonight. Top class NL field. Start time 19:30. More on the Heathens website.

http://www.dudleyheathens.co/news.php?extend.597

Impartial answers only ;) on last night's performance he'd certainly not disgrace himself. Personally I'd give it to Barker or King, youngish lads who have made our SWC teams in the last couple of years and who haven't yet had the experience of racing at Cardiff.

Are you feeling ok? Cook would get smashed to pieces at Cardiff.

Barker and King wouldn't be much better.

If only a few more riders hated finishing 3rd, we might have some decent riders. I'm no Woffy fan but his upset/disgust/displeasure at finishing 3rd was a positive IMO.

What is it with the Brits and this, "it's all about taking part"? It's about winning FFS, or why keep score? Woffy shows passion and people for some reason dislike that but then moan that riders are not good enough, what do you want? A robot who wins but shows now emotion?

I can think of plenty of great riders from Mauger down to Greg and Gollob who don't have a show of emotion when they get beat but rather accept defeat graciously then go away with an iron determination to do better next time.

That's not a criticism of Tai but I would suggest that what is missing from most of the Brits is not necessarily the need to get emotional on the night but the need to have the ability to take it on the chin, and to have inner steel and determination to go away and come back stronger.

• Like 1

Firstly, congratulations to Scott Nicholls. Fantastic Achievement and great racing.

Nicholls is 34 - that is "only" 7 years younger than Mark Loram. He won his first title in 2002, and is a cross over generation from the Screens and Lorams of this world. Nicholls is 12/13 years older than Tai....it is different eras. Woffinden and Harris (8 years older than Woffinden) will be back for more titles.

All 3 can only beat what is put in front of them. Is it the BSPA's fault? Is it that British speedway fans support non-British riders? Or tracks? That is another debate, but it doesn't make Scott Nicholls' achievement any less, especially given the line ups that he beat for his earlier titles.

Also, as a "like for like" progress......Scott Nicholls was a season ending number 1 in an Elite League (stronger 10 years ago) at 23, British Champion at 24. Joe Screen achieved both at younger ages....however, Cook, Roynon, Stead, Kennett, Barker, King cannot match their achievements. Unlikely Bridger will either.

To say that any of these riders will be GP stars of the future is madness when you see their Danish or Polish opposition that are 4/5 years their junior.

On a final "like for like", the line ups used to feature one or two Division 2 riders who had battled through quarter finals etc.....In 1986, Simon Wigg didn't even make the top 10 and missed the Commonwealth final. It was cut throat top flight riders. Nowadays, riders appear happy to get "doubling up" roles rather than push for continental rides in Poland etc.... Olly Allen and Bridger deserve credit for sticking with the top flight when promoters wish to run fewer and fewer meetings. I don't blame the riders for taking an easier living, BSPA make the rules and they can utilise them.......but

Is Glasgow away against Henning Bager better for the career than Poland on a Sunday?

Are you feeling ok? Cook would get smashed to pieces at Cardiff.

Barker and King wouldn't be much better.

Cook can gate so he'd get amongst them and score a few points I reckon. Most importantly he'd gain some valuable experience, he's a young lad heading in the right direction. Riding at Cardiff wouldn't do Barker & King any harm either, they'd both be capable of beating several of the field with Britsh fans behind them.

Anyway Nicholls has got it and I hope he can give us all something to shout about.

• Like 2

Cook can gate so he'd get amongst them and score a few points I reckon. Most importantly he'd gain some valuable experience, he's a young lad heading in the right direction. Riding at Cardiff wouldn't do Barker & King any harm either, they'd both be capable of beating several of the field with Britsh fans behind them.

Anyway Nicholls has got it and I hope he can give us all something to shout about.

Seriously?

There's gating in the Premier and Elite League over here and then there's gating in a GP. Does Cook ride in Poland or Sweden? (genuine question) At 25 I'd hardly describe him as a young lad!

I can't see Barker or King beating anyone other than maybe Iron Man, it's all immaterial anyway as Scotty has deservedly got the ticket.

See you there pal.