British Speedway Forum

Davey Watt And Ryan Sullivan

Australia lost the world cup choosing Watt instead of Sullivan.

Does anyone know the reason why Sullivan was excluded from the team?

Denmark were the best team end of,and that's from someone who backed Australia.Australia had to have to use the joker to keep tabs on a England at Kings Lynn a rule most of us detest.The Aussies are a proud lot and have great team ethic and are great as a group.Davy did a great job, I don't know the reasons but Ryan has gone a different route in his career I personally would love to see him back in Britain again as he was one of my favourites but the Aussies put on a great show Denmark were just better. Edited by sidney
  • Like 2

Sullivan was picked to ride for Australia a few years ago when Boyce was boss. He didn't bother turning up, thus indicating his desire to end his international career. He hasn't been picked since.

I also remember this, he didn't refuse to ride from memory, he refused to go for a pointless practice and was then dropped from the team. At the time he was as quick as anybody in the Aussie team around Polish tracks, and he thought practice wasn't worth it. If the Aussies wanted to win the SWC they should have picked the best riders, they didn't. If the SWC was on a smaller track i wouldn't pick Ryan in a million years, but there's no doubting his ability on the big tracks. But with the Aussie team, it's all about being one of the crowd, Ryan isn't one of the lads, and they would rather lose the world cup than admit they're wrong.

• Like 2

I also remember this, he didn't refuse to ride from memory, he refused to go for a pointless practice and was then dropped from the team. At the time he was as quick as anybody in the Aussie team around Polish tracks, and he thought practice wasn't worth it. If the Aussies wanted to win the SWC they should have picked the best riders, they didn't. If the SWC was on a smaller track i wouldn't pick Ryan in a million years, but there's no doubting his ability on the big tracks. But with the Aussie team, it's all about being one of the crowd, Ryan isn't one of the lads, and they would rather lose the world cup than admit they're wrong.

Refusing to turn up for practice when the boss has asked you to because you think you know better is more than enough reason to be dropped.

Australia don't have to admit they're wrong because they're not. It's a team competition and if one rider chooses to distance himself from the team then it's his look out when he gets dropped.

• Like 1

Refusing to turn up for practice when the boss has asked you to because you think you know better is more than enough reason to be dropped.

Australia don't have to admit they're wrong because they're not. It's a team competition and if one rider chooses to distance himself from the team then it's his look out when he gets dropped.

More and more riders aren't bothering to practice these days, the rest of the Aussie team were in the area, Ryan would have had a 4 hour drive to get there, he obviously thought whats the point. I'm not a fan of Ryan or Davey, but if the Aussies wanted to win this thing, they should have picked their strongest team available, they didn't. Maybe they thought team spirit would get them more points than having the best riders, thats their choice, but i would always pick the best riders if i wanted to win something. I wouldn't call Ryan a disruptive influence, he's jusy not as matey as the rest.

Bratch is not best friends with Holder or Ward, but on his current form MAY have been a better choice than Watto. Dont think Doylo or Schleiny would have done better.

......................it sounds, to me, that the Team has distanced itself from Ryan. :sad: :sad:

I can't say that he would have done better than Watt - I can only say I think he would have been an improvement.

Just my opinion.

• 11 months later...

I think Sullivan rides on a Polish licence so won't be picked by MA

Hasn't something been missed here? Sullivan has retired!

Otherwise Rickardsson would be riding for Sweden and Ermolenko for the Yanks. :rolleyes:

Plus i notice the thread was started by the forums biggest attention seeker, 2 pages of attention already.

Hasn't something been missed here? Sullivan has retired!

Otherwise Rickardsson would be riding for Sweden and Ermolenko for the Yanks. :rolleyes:

Plus i notice the thread was started by the forums biggest attention seeker, 2 pages of attention already.

Yes but that's in 12mths Steve, so not all bad eh :lol: