British Speedway Forum

World Cup Final 14th July

It wasn't cheating. No more than, say, a football team going a goal up and then sitting back and defending the lead. Or a cricket team just running a single in the final ball of an over when they could have got two so that the best batsman faces the bowler again.

There is absolutely no way that was cheating.

Why be ashamed of trying to get your side to win the meeting?

Your entitled to your opinion as im mine.

The RULE is cheating the sport and making it a farce.

how can anyone defend riders shutting off off the 4th bend and blatantly trying to give away points and therefore suggest it is perfectly ok and doesnt bring the sport into farcial terittory is beyond me quite honestly.

We are stepping into EL territory here.Play the rules to your favour but hate the rule for bringing the sport into disrepute.

The WC was/has been our shining glory because of the thrill and spectacle it offers (albiet with the `joker` aspect) however after tonight the stupid joker rule has ruined and marred what should be a great night for speedway fans and a chance to show the viewing sporting public what a great sport we have.

However it has highlighted that Speedway has become beyond a joke (great choice of words, not) and speedway racing has become who is best at shutting off before the chequered flag to win the greatest team accolade.

My sport is being ruined, and no im not happy.

You cant compare to other sports with those sporting analogies because they dont have to defend the possibility of there next goal, bat counting for double.

Could you say Crump was defending his right to let his team go 6 points behind? definetly Did he `race` for 4 laps? Definetly.

The only sporting analogy i can suggest is a striker heading for the goal that levels the match and a (opposing) defender picks up the ball and runs off with it.

That would be plain stupid right?? Well thats my point.

Well done denmark. :D you fully deserved to win.and good old nicki.you know what im starting to become a fan of his :party: hes a bugger isnt he? :rofl:

My sympathies are with you in this awful time. :D

• Like 1

Your entitled to your opinion as im mine.

The RULE is cheating the sport and making it a farce.

how can anyone defend riders shutting off off the 4th bend and blatantly trying to give away points and therefore suggest it is perfectly ok and doesnt bring the sport into farcial terittory is beyond me quite honestly.

We are stepping into EL territory here.Play the rules to your favour but hate the rule for bringing the sport into disrepute.

The WC was/has been our shining glory because of the thrill and spectacle it offers (albiet with the `joker` aspect) however after tonight the stupid joker rule has ruined and marred what should be a great night for speedway fans and a chance to show the viewing sporting public what a great sport we have.

However it has highlighted that Speedway has become beyond a joke (great choice of words, not) and speedway racing has become who is best at shutting off before the chequered flag to win the greatest team accolade.

My sport is being ruined, and no im not happy.

You cant compare to other sports with those sporting analogies because they dont have to defend the possibility of there next goal, bat counting for double.

Could you say Crump was defending his right to let his team go 6 points behind? definetly Did he `race` for 4 laps? Definetly.

The only sporting analogy i can suggest is a striker heading for the goal that levels the match and a (opposing) defender picks up the ball and runs off with it.

That would be plain stupid right?? Well thats my point.

My sympathies are with you in this awful time. :D

Why is that steve?lol

Well done to the Danes on their win, their manager must be relieved and slightly smug I should think, given the success of his bold move to bring the youngsters in! Thanks to all the riders too who have once again put on a great show for world cup week. Sounds like the Malilla track staff deserve credit too for getting the track in decent condition.

It would be nice if BSI and the FIM left the riders to it though without adding stupid rules which near enough everybody hates. The racing the riders put on is enough of a spectacle without having to stick with the Joker rule. At the very least it should only be available at 10 points down, ideally it would be scrapped, even just for the final, as every team at that stage should be good enough to not need it! If it stays then may I recommend Stuart Hall or Keith Chegwin as centregreen presenter or tv commentator in keeping with the 'It's a Knockout' sillyness of the SWC!

I don't blame Pedersen and the others for playing games to try and 'dodge' the joker, yes it's naughty, yes it's possibly dangerous, but if the rules make it an attractive option to them then that's what will happen, the blame is solely with the rule makers.

Couldn't believe it when Paul Bellamy said Prague was on the cards for next years final, can't see it being anything other than a disaster, especially if the Czechs are seeded to the final. A poor track, with a poor lineup and most likely a poor crowd, doesn't sound like a good way to display one of the best competitions the sport has to offer! Would be a great shame after the good work BSI have done to improve the image of the sport at the top level.

Blimey. And to think Iris thought my analogies were bad :)

• Like 1

Why is that steve?lol

It must a terrible thing to have to come to terms with , i mean admitting your a Nicki P fan.

I think id rather admit to being a hoodie in the riots :P:D

:D

Its meant to be bad!! thats why its such a joke! ;)

• Like 1

It must a terrible thing to have to come to terms with , i mean admitting your a Nicki P fan.

I think id rather admit to being a hoodie in the riots :P:D

:D

Its meant to be bad!! thats why its such a joke! ;)

Lol do you think i need help then steve? :rofl: i know there is no1 more shocked than me.but what he did 2nite to the aussies was classic lol. :D:P

Ha ha.....i think you have to come up with a rule in football or cricket that gives an advantage to a team that are behind or worse than their opponents.Cricket is strange anyway and might just have such a rule.No idea about that.All i can really see in football is the team that have just had a goal scored against them then have the advantage of starting the match in the centre rather than from their goal where the ball ended.Whereas Basketball for instance i think re-start the game from the goalline or whatever it is called

Edited by iris123

Congratulations to denmark. They deserved to win as they were the strongest through all meetings as never had to use a joker. All the danish riders should be very proud of themselves.

Nicki slowing down on the line was funny and no more cheating than crump trying to stay behind him. Then again aussies should know more than most as they do it all the time in the elite league.

Respect for russia who showed how pleased they were to get a metal. Holder behaved like a spoilt brat whilst the rest of the team showed more dignity.

Sweden showed why having a team seeded to the final doesnt work

Edited by mdmc82
  • Like 3

All reminded me why I haven't been to a speedway meeting in the UK for 5 years, the dumb rules turned it into a farce and the sport has totally lost the plot with stupid rules. You can criticise the Danes but the rules should be done to avoid it happening. To some degree I understand why they done it

He didn't spit at the camera. The camera would have been yards away from him. And don't you think the cmeraman might have asked him to even do it to capture that moment?

Come on Steve, the cameraman may have asked him to ?? Never read such tosh !!

In fairness spitting is a digusting thing anyway but to do it when you know a camera is pointing at you whether you are asked or not is wring and should not be defended. Its time that people who know they are on camera behave themselves and didn't act like animals

Edited by Chris Brown

Congratulations to denmark. They deserved to win as they were the strongest through all meetings as never had to use a joker. All the danish riders should be very proud of themselves.

Nicki slowing down on the line was funny and no more cheating than crump trying to stay behind him. Then again aussies should know more than most as they do it all the time in the elite league.

Respect for russia who showed how pleased they were to get a metal. Holder behaved like a spoilt brat whilst the rest of the team showed more dignity.

Agree with all your post.but thought ward had lost his dummy somewhere :D:P .and holder i forgot he was as bad really.spitting at the camera.disgusting. :blink: Edited by Tracy M
  • Like 1

Ha ha.....i think you have to come up with a rule in football or cricket that gives an advantage to a team that are behind or worse than their opponents.Cricket is strange anyway and might just have such a rule.No idea about that.All i can really see in football is the team that have just had a goal scored against them then have the advantage of starting the match in the centre rather than from their goal where the ball ended.

I suppose the closest thing in football would be away goals taken into account if scores are level on aggregate on champions league matches. A team could play accordingly to use that rule in their favour - so even though it's a draw they win.

As for cricket it just baffles me. One team is all out for 40. The other team gets 742 for 1. So it's a draw. Or, at least it seems that way to me.

Edited by Grachan

I suppose the closest thing in football would be away goals taken into account if scores are level on aggregate on champions league matches. A team could play accordingly to use that rule in their favour - so even though it's a draw they win.

As for cricket it just baffles me. One team is all out for 40. The other team gets 742 for 1. So it's a draw. Or, at least it seems that way to me.

Well certainly agree with you on cricket......still not sure your analogy gives an advantage to the worst team though or punishes the better team

Where an advantage is gained there or in any two leg game is in the draw.Just like Sweden had a big advantage over say Poland who are probably or definitely a better team

Edited by iris123

Well we are all entitled to liking who we want arent we. :t:

However id wait for hell to freeze over before id join you in that like. :D

Well thats true doesnt do for us all to like the same. :D .i wont be asking you to join me in the nicki p fan club then lol :P:D

First and foremost, the best team won and they all played their part in winning it without using a joker. In MJJ, MBJ, Madsen, Klindt and Michelsen they have the foundations for a bright future along with Poland.

As for the JOKER and the tactical riding of dropping points ...... well it made the sport look stupid in my opinion and with people placing bets on, it could be seen as fixing the result. .... If a football team was 3-0 up, would they conceed 2 goals to get the 25/1 correct score ? ...... Would a jockey drop from second to third to get the tricast ?

Had the rule been that a team has to be 8 behind, I doubt you would see this happening as a joker at present could draw level with the leaders. ..... Using it when 8 behind it at best would still leave them trailing by 2

Q- I thought the ruling was a team could use one TAC SUB (where a rider replaces another) and one JOKER ..... If they wish to use them in the same race, fine.

My question is, how come Russia used one JOKER but two Tac Sub changes ?

maybe it would be better to let a team use one tac sub ride and one Joker, but the Joker can only be used by a programmed ride and not a tac sub.

Don't think your examples are the same really.What they are showing is tactics within fair rules.What we are seeing now is tactics to

stop an unfair rule being implemented or try to get it used.The rule is unfair as it helps worse teams and punishes the best team.Crap.Scrap it

agreed, it was the same in the WRC for several years when the leader of the championship and or leader of the rally were forced to be

the first car on the road. Usually this is very disadvantageous but the FIA have come to their senses (finnally) to this season

and gone back to qualifying+reversed starting order,

Also some car racing series used to put extra weight in the cars that won a race.

Aussies have only themselves to blame for not picking their best riders. I know Ryan threw his toys out of the pram a few years ago, but that should have been forgotten by now, he's still one of the best "big track" riders around, look at his scores in Poland, and then compare them to Watt. But me thinks Chump picks the team, and with the Aussies, mates come first. It was the same when Adam was riding better than some of the others, as he wasn't one of the "in crowd". he was left out.

• Like 1