British Speedway Forum

World Cup Final 14th July

I trully don't get all this. What was so wrong with what Nicky Pedersen done. It has been happening for years. It's part and parcel of speedway.

Why all this fuss now.

If that's all you want to remember about the meeting, then I feel sorry for you.

I shall remember the brilliant riding from some and the wonderful overtaking that was on show.

I don't think this is about what he done, more about peoples dislike of Nicky Pedersen..

The whole concept of a 'joker' in a competition of international stature is ridiculous and insulting. It belittles the sport by turning it into something that has to use artificial gadgets to attract, or retain, its public. The contest is there to determine which is the best nation in speedway, and, no matter what gadgets might be employed in league speedway, they have no place in the sport at the highest level.

If there is a requirement for something to help a nation catch up, then, as other sports have done, introduce a 'substitute' rule. Not a reserve, who slots in to races for any other riders, allowing manipulation, but a genuine substitute who can replace a single rider for the remainder of the meeting. This might help to make the scores closer, and the team using a substitute successfully is merely making use of the strength of its squad.

As for Nicki Pedersen - congratulations to him! Competitors in all sports attempt to use the rules to their advantage. Nicki did not make the stupid rule; he took advantage of it.

• Like 3

The whole concept of a 'joker' in a competition of international stature is ridiculous and insulting. It belittles the sport by turning it into something that has to use artificial gadgets to attract, or retain, its public. The contest is there to determine which is the best nation in speedway, and, no matter what gadgets might be employed in league speedway, they have no place in the sport at the highest level.

If there is a requirement for something to help a nation catch up, then, as other sports have done, introduce a 'substitute' rule. Not a reserve, who slots in to races for any other riders, allowing manipulation, but a genuine substitute who can replace a single rider for the remainder of the meeting. This might help to make the scores closer, and the team using a substitute successfully is merely making use of the strength of its squad.

As for Nicki Pedersen - congratulations to him! Competitors in all sports attempt to use the rules to their advantage. Nicki did not make the stupid rule; he took advantage of it.

This post sums up my views as well. With regard to the joker the clue is in the name - if you really want to use this system at least call it something a bit more positive - staying with the playing cards analogy perhaps a team could play its "Ace in the pack". If it has to be kept at least don't make it available in the last 4 heats - having a race for the 4th highest scorers etc.is a good innovation but should be just that, not three 4th highest scorers and one highest scorer who incidently might get 6 points.

Congratulations to Denmark who won despite each of the other teams being "given" 3 points. They seem to have a good supply of youngsters coming through, I'm not sure any of the other nations, including Australia, have that, i.e. riders available now to step in to this type of event. With due respect to Davey Watt he probably wouldn't have been selected if they had.

I also support the introduction of a substitute/replacement being available to replace a rider not performing or injured, rather than the speedway type reserve. All the pre tournament talk (by the Sky team anyway) was how unfortunate it would be if a team was reduced to three riders (or less I suppose) through injury. It didn't happen this year but would it have done if a reserve had been available?!? With the substitute any replacement would be above board and at the team manager's discretion. If after a substitution an injury occurs then so be it - one man short.

Changing the subject if I am allowed to, does the recent ruling in the John Terry case, bearing in mind what he admitted to saying, can we assume that Nigel won't have to apologise any more when a hyped up rider uses a naughty word (or Nigel thinks he has) when he has Chris Louis' microphone stuck up his nose?

Why all the furore about a certain Mr. Pedersen conceding a place in a race?.I recall a few years ago a certain Mr. Crump got a lot of grief for winning a race in the final,thereby allowing the Poles to play a joker and go on to win the meeting.Dammed if you do,dammed if you dont. Answer,as most people say,scrap the joker.

Edited by kbt
  • Like 1

If you read my post again.you will see i was talking about chris holder spitting.not nicki p. :blink:

Exactly my point you make NO reference to NP spitting,(which he did) so it is selective disgust

And yes the best team won , despite all the hoo-hah

Edited by hrhbig

Exactly my point you make NO reference to NP spitting,(which he did) so it is selective disgust

Well to be honest with you.i didnt see nicki spit sorry. :blink:

I didn't either Tracy, probaly because it was directly at a camera lens.

I'll admit I've been converted! I'm now a fan of Nicki Pedersen after the past couple of months of watching him in the GP's and SWC. He'll give an honest answer/opinion to questions asked of him, and generally livens up meetings in some way shape or form. Not completely a fan of his riding sometimes, but he's a character within the sport & there's not many of them around these days. How dull some meetings would have been this year without him, it's a shame the EL can't tempt him back to liven that up too.

I'll admit I've been converted! I'm now a fan of Nicki Pedersen after the past couple of months of watching him in the GP's and SWC. He'll give an honest answer/opinion to questions asked of him, and generally livens up meetings in some way shape or form. Not completely a fan of his riding sometimes, but he's a character within the sport & there's not many of them around these days. How dull some meetings would have been this year without him, it's a shame the EL can't tempt him back to liven that up too.

Hi Wackie thats why i didnt see it then.hooray another nicki fan :t: same here i never really liked him much as some of the things he did,i thought were rather dangerous.but i agree with you on what you say about him.he says it how it is lol.i sais the same the other night cant we have him at coventry :lol::P:D

Hi Wackie thats why i didnt see it then.hooray another nicki fan :t: same here i never really liked him much as some of the things he did,i thought were rather dangerous.but i agree with you on what you say about him.he says it how it is lol.i sais the same the other night cant we have him at coventry :lol::P:D

I have been a NIcki knocker ,over some of his incidents over the years, but I have always enjoyed watching him race is great with the fans autographs ect. Never a dull moment and puts bums on seats the Alex HIggins of speedway.
  • Like 1

I have been a NIcki knocker ,over some of his incidents over the years, but I have always enjoyed watching him race is great with the fans autographs ect. Never a dull moment and puts bums on seats the Alex HIggins of speedway.

Glad ive not been on my own then lol.i know what you mean.ive enjoyed watching him just lately not just the world cup.

It appeared to me that NP spat to the ground, just as the camera panned to him, nothing deliberate, just natural, Chris Holder deliberately spat at the camera. Two completely different scenarios, and yes, what Chris Holder did was disgusting and made him appear a sore loser.

Did anybody else notice the way holder hit the danish flag and looked at it in disgust when the anthem was playing? Not only becoming a dirty rider but a spolit brat.

SPOKE to Harris about Holder incident at KL ... dirty? Certainly not as far as Chris was concerned. Just a racing incident that probably had as much to do with rain shower as anything else. CH added that his Heat 19 encounter with Holder was as good as it was because both riders had absolute trust in each other.

Cannot and would not condone some behavioural issues but to suggest that Holder is a dirty rider is just rubbish. And even a former Harris associate acknowledged that he does sometimes slip off a little easily.

And I would also bow to the judgement of no lesser a legend that Ove Fundin who asked me to introduce him to Holder prior to the start of the final. "He is my favourite rider," said Ove, "and I told him that he is being hard done by referees in the GP this year. He's a racer that I just love to watch."

• Like 4

I started to change my opinion of his about 18 months/2 years ago. I still love to hate him but the difference is I find it all funny now. I'm sure half the time he kicks off, realises he's done it and carrys on playing it up. How many dull meetings has Nicki kicked into action over the years? Still don't agree with the way he rides at times but he certainkly gives us a laugh and calls and spade and spade.

SPOKE to Harris about Holder incident at KL ... dirty? Certainly not as far as Chris was concerned. Just a racing incident that probably had as much to do with rain shower as anything else. CH added that his Heat 19 encounter with Holder was as good as it was because both riders had absolute trust in each other.

Cannot and would not condone some behavioural issues but to suggest that Holder is a dirty rider is just rubbish. And even a former Harris associate acknowledged that he does sometimes slip off a little easily.

And I would also bow to the judgement of no lesser a legend that Ove Fundin who asked me to introduce him to Holder prior to the start of the final. "He is my favourite rider," said Ove, "and I told him that he is being hard done by referees in the GP this year. He's a racer that I just love to watch."

Chris and Chris have had some great races over the years. You don't tend to get them if you don't trust each other. I've lost count of the times I've seen the pair of them race inches from each other lap after lap. Occasionally there has been contact from one or the other and they have each carried on. Even as a Bomber fan I'll admit I do sometimes cringe when he ends up on his backside (and in part thats down to referees who will exclude if someone falls off, but not if they don't. Why?) but no way was that the case last week.