British Speedway Forum

The featured match in the BCTG Elite League series to be featured on Sky Sports this week will be the local derby between Wolverhampton and Birmingham. Like the first televised match between Poole and Oxford last week, the all-Midlands clash went to a last heat decider with plenty of incidents and controversial moments thrown in for good measure. Broadcast times are:-

Wednesday 19th Dec 0030 Sky Sports 4

Wednesday 19th Dec 1300 Sky Sports 3

Saturday 22nd Dec 0600 Sky Sports 3

Sunday 23rd Dec 0500 Sky Sports 3

Look out for more BCTG Elite racing on Sky in the new year.

Match 3 will be screened in early January and features the top of the table clash between Birmingham and Oxford.

Edited by Red Leader 1

A Rider of the Year poll currently running. Check-out the link on the Spokesman-Online website.

If you are not a cycle speedway regular, then maybe a rider that has impressed you on the Sky matches might get your vote!

Currently amongst the front runners are Birmingham captain Paul Heard who was the star of their victory at Wolverhampton in this

weeks programme and European Champion Marcin Szymanski who top scored for Poole in their win over reigning champions Oxford.

Leading the ratings at the moment is British champion Andy Angell from Hull. Viewers will see plenty of him in action for Sheffield in two of the

forthcoming televised matches against Ipswich and Oxford. Andy has his new website up and running so check him out!

• 2 weeks later...

An "Introduction to Cycle Speedway" film dating back to 1994 has just been posted on You Tube

:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfUN_6dK80g

It was filmed in the days before the sport came under the arm of British Cycling so the contact details are out of date, as are the hairstyles!

What is interesting is the interview with Dave Lanning and his comments about the potential for the sport in terms of television coverage. With a seven match highlights series from the 2012 BCTG Elite League currently underway, its very much a case of better late than never. Of course several British Individual finals have been broadcast in the meantime, but we have not had the more robust team events until now. Match 3 featuring Birmingham and Oxford is due to be screened next week - broadcast times to follow shortly.

Edited by Red Leader 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am enjoying the cycle speedway coverage, only seen the Wolverhampton/Brum and Horspath/Brum meetings. Not ridden myself since 92 but makes me think I may have another go just for keeping fit or rather getting back to some sort of fitness. Think the rules must have changed a bit from my days though looking at some of the dubious refereeing decisions lol!!!

I am enjoying the cycle speedway coverage, only seen the Wolverhampton/Brum and Horspath/Brum meetings. Not ridden myself since 92 but makes me think I may have another go just for keeping fit or rather getting back to some sort of fitness. Think the rules must have changed a bit from my days though looking at some of the dubious refereeing decisions lol!!!

I am enjoying your picture. :P

Here are the full details of the Leicester v Wolverhampton match to be broadcast this coming week:-

Tuesday 22nd Jan. Midnight on Sky Sports 3

Wednesday 23rd Jan. 1pm on SS3

Saturday 26th Jan. 6am on SS4

There will be 30 minutes of match highlights in the first half of the one hour "Sports Unlimited" programme.

Remember you can keep up to date with all the latest cycle speedway news on Spokesman On-line.

• 2 weeks later...

With just weeks to go before the season begins the GB mens team has been announced for the tour of Australia in November and Birmingham's captain Chris Timms is included in the side. More details are on the weblink on my signature as well as an updated fixture list with the clashes with Coventry added.

Time for more action from the BCTG Elite League on Sky Sports with Ipswich versus Sheffield featured on "Sports Unlimited" which is scheduled for four screenings in the week ahead.

The first showing will be on Tuesday Feb 5th at 5pm on Sky Sports 4 followed by 7am and 3pm on Wednesday 6th (SS4) and finally at 4am on 11th Feb (SS3).

This will be your first chance to see British Champion Andy Angell in action for Sheffield Stars in a very competitive match so be sure to catch the action.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming soon on Sky Sports - match 6 in the coverage of the BCTG Elite League in "Sports Unlimited".

This time its a real classic between the two teams at the top of the table - Oxford and Poole.

If the Hammers win or draw they win the league outright but if the Dorset club can complete the double over Oxford then it will all go down to the final matches of the season.

If you have enjoyed the coverage so far, then you will not want to miss this one!

Screening times will be posted asap.

• Like 2

Missed the Oxford v Poole action?

Sky have an additional screening of the match on Saturday morning but its at 3am so maybe best set the recorder for this one.

Its in Sports Unlimited on Sky Sports 2.

Next up will be action from the final match of the season when Sheffield pit their track skills against Oxford in the title decider.

Quite enjoyed the Horspath vs Poole match. I used to dread going there, but it didnt look as small as I remember it. Quite amusing when the camera panned around the pits area and there was the commentator filling in his programme!!

• Like 1

Wednesfield Aces have announced a star-studded line-up for the Dash Trophies Midland Grand Prix which takes place at Ashmore Park on Saturday 16 March.

Anyone who is anyone will be competing including World champion Lukasz Nowacki and British number one Andy Angell. The 32 rider field oozes quality which, despite the early season scheduling, is bound to attract a good sized crowd. You can find a full list of competitors on Spokesman-online.

The semi's are at 1pm and 3pm and the top eight riders from each semi-final progress to the final which starts at 5pm.

Edited by Red Leader 1

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend the Midland League begins as Birmingham Monarchs travel to local neighbours East Park Wolves at Hickman Avenue on Sunday. The racing begins at 2pm in the park over the road from Wolverhampton Wolves Speedway Stadium. With the Freddie Lindgren Testimonial on in the afternoon anyone coming over early why not pop down into the park and catch some of the racing, it is free to watch.

A match preview is up on the Birmingham website link on my signature.