British Speedway Forum

Rico Memorial Meeting

We went up the car park and out of the gate used by the riders. The queue there was just a few minutes to the main road, as opposed to half an hour or more on the normal exit road.

Terrific turnout for Rico. Well done to all, especially those who travelled from far afield to support the event.

Left directly after the final so didn't hear any booing (back in Reading by midnight!) but I can imagine a few fans were slightly peeved at Ward's move on AJ in their race together. Maybe not the best time to vent their displeasure with him, but it'll hardly detract from what was a great meeting, watched more importantly by a massive crowd.

That was all for you Lee! :approve:

We got out of the car park fairly quickly to be honest...although the person trying to get in to the car park didn't help the traffic flow.

Great meeting, so many people and a fitting tribute to Lee.

Not sure stewards would be much use - hundreds of cars from multiple points all aiming for a two lane (if used carefully) exit road.

And I'm not sure it would have been the car park's fault either. There may have been a problem further down the line with the closure of the slip road leading up to junction 30 for the M25.

WOW what a turnout to pay tribute to Lee.

After fighting the traffic from Kent and seeing the car park with cars everywhere a good hour before the meeting.

Strange to see Greg,Jason flying around Lakeside and great to see AJ again(like he had never been away).

I am sure Emma and all the family must have felt so proud to see how many fans turned up to pay tribute to the one and only LEE RICHARDSON.

#RICO.

• Like 2

Shame that they run out of programmes, does anyone know if they are going to do a reprint so fans can get one? Never seen Lakeside so packed, a tribute to Lee.

Can understand why though, they never expected quite so many people, as you say as fitting tribute!

Some really good racing, stand outs for me being Darcy (of course), AJ, PK and Lewis Bridger. Bridger gave a heartfelt tribute to Lee and his family and obviously raced hard for his 2nd place, AJ was clearly enjoying his evening back racing at Lakeside and PK was PK :) Darcy gave it everything, very entertaining, as always, wanted the win and wanted the engine :)

It must have been such an emotional night for Lee's family, his eldest son brought a tear to my eye when he told us thank you for coming to his Dad's Memorial meeting over the tannoy, hit home, certainly did! Wishing the family all the best for the future, hope we helped in some small way.

Edited by Trees
  • Like 2

What a tremendous evenings entertainment.

Great credit due to all those involved in making this meeting happen.

Whether they organised, rode or worked on the night they were a creditt to our sport.

And as for the fans, well what a turn out from all over the Uk. Even saw a few Glasgow fans.

Hope they have raised a great sum for the Richardson family.

As for the car park,what with the numbers I expected nothing less.

IM normally out within a few minutes though it took me 45 mins to get out last night.

In view of the circumstances last night though, that was a very small price to pay.

PS Can we have AJ back next year please Cooky . ;)

• Like 1

How many people does the raceway hold? Would be interesting to know how many attended.

I

think they have had around 7000 there for a major stock car meeting and I would be surprised if it it wasn't something fairly close to that last night.

Some terrific racing. I thought as the riders were giving services for free it would be more or less demonstration racing but they were really going for it.

Darcy really is something else. Could easily become one of the all-time greats, possibly the greatest. Great races between him and AJ. Well done to Lewis Bridger. Takes a lot stick from some quarters but really earned his place in the Grand Final.

Well the journey and car parking was a nightmare but it mattered not as the place was packed out in honour of Rico. Some terrific action on track which IMO always better when its had some natural watering like it did yesterday. None of the riders were holding back at all and it was conducted in an excellent spirit. Didn't hear Richardson junior's words at the start as we didn't get in til heat 4 but just reading about it gives me a lump in my throat. A memorable evening which proved a the perfect way to remember a British speedway legend, massive credit to everyone involved.

• Like 1