British Speedway Forum

PL Fours, Peterborough, 15/07

Workington , Newcastle, Somerset, - top heavy teams :rofl: don't be silly !!!!

To be fair, they are. Ok the fiurst two managed to sign good reserves on low averages too but they used up lots of points on their top 4.

The eight qualifying clubs are now known. Plymouth, Somerset, Workington, Newcastle, Berwick, Leicester, Glasgow and Scunthorpe will all do battle over two semi-finals.

They have used May’s averages in June as the cut-off for qualification.

Sadly, the current champions will not be in a position to defend their title which is a disappointment.

There is an argument of course that qualification should be based on the combined averages of the top five, as of course each team will be tracking FIVE, not four riders each. Had that been the case, then it would be Ipswich and not Berwick that would have qualified.

It isn't of course, so we will just have to live with it!!!

I sympathize with Ipswich,as Champions they surely deserve the chance to defend that title.Berwick suffered the same thing a few seasons ago,they won the 4TT at Coventry but werent allowed the chance to defend that title.

Easy answer of course,qualifiers,I mean just how hard can it be.

• Like 1

Disappointed that Rye House aren't in it, but we wouldn't have won it anyway. Will decide nearer the time if I can be bothered to travel up.

Can anyone explain or know the criteria for this competition as it's been announced that the defending champions , Ipswich are not included this year !

Is this random , another strange authorititive decision or just plain stupidity !

Please advise if you have any ideas .

Can anyone explain or know the criteria for this competition as it's been announced that the defending champions , Ipswich are not included this year !

Is this random , another strange authorititive decision or just plain stupidity !

Please advise if you have any ideas .

Every year we all get kept in the dark , and every year supporters of the teams not selected get upset . The only fair way is to have a qualification competition , but we dont - we have this fiasco . Shouldn't really be called the PL fours , when not every team has a chance of winning it .

• Like 1

Pretty miffed that Rye House aren't included in the line up, but thems the qualification rules, so we'll have to put up with it... Seems odd that Ipswich won't be there to defend their crown and probably put a couple of hundred on the gate at the same time. Berwick have qualified, so I guess I'll be the designated driver!

• Like 1

Did Ippo not only qualify last year because of newcastles injurys??

I fear you may be a little out on that one old boy. The qualifying clubs, in order of averages, were: Redcar, Sheffield, Workington, Edinburgh, Ipswich, Somerset and Glasgow.

Last year of course, only seven teams "qualified", as Leicester were seeded through as hosts. Great pity that the same principle couldn't be extended to the current champions!!

I think you may be thinking of "The Pairs", where Ipswich accepted a late-call-up to replace Plymouth, when Ben Barker was called up as a track reserve for the British Grand Prix, meaning he couldn't compete for the Devils at Somerset.

So the current Holders don't get the opportunity to defend their trophy? :lol:

Only in speedway!! rolleyes.gif

there's quite a few occassions this has happened - ask Berwick.

Some would argue that the teams change every year so the current holders are extremely unlikely at best to be lining up for the same club again. Also its the PL4s for this season not last.

Not saying I agree with it, just pointing out some of the reasons that could be given for not automatically including the defending champions

I fear you may be a little out on that one old boy. The qualifying clubs, in order of averages, were: Redcar, Sheffield, Workington, Edinburgh, Ipswich, Somerset and Glasgow.

Last year of course, only seven teams "qualified", as Leicester were seeded through as hosts. Great pity that the same principle couldn't be extended to the current champions!!

I think you may be thinking of "The Pairs", where Ipswich accepted a late-call-up to replace Plymouth, when Ben Barker was called up as a track reserve for the British Grand Prix, meaning he couldn't compete for the Devils at Somerset.

I think I am, it was lemos injury why we didn't qualify as we used rr for weeks.

there's quite a few occassions this has happened - ask Berwick.

Some would argue that the teams change every year so the current holders are extremely unlikely at best to be lining up for the same club again. Also its the PL4s for this season not last.

Not saying I agree with it, just pointing out some of the reasons that could be given for not automatically including the defending champions

It makes not a jot of difference how many times it's happened and neither does the change in line ups, it's still ridiculous.

Chelsea will enter next seasons champions league with a totally different line up to the one that just lifted the trophy. But Chelsea as a CLUB, the champions league holders, will defend their trophy next season.

Ipswich speedway club, as current PL4'S winners, should be at Peterborough to defend their trophy.

A complete farce.

Edited by Steve Irving

It makes not a jot of difference how many times it's happened and neither does the change in line ups, it's still ridiculous.

Chelsea will enter next seasons champions league with a totally different line up to the one that just lifted the trophy. But Chelsea as a CLUB, the champions league holders, will defend their trophy next season.

Ipswich speedway club, as current PL4'S winners, should be at Peterborough to defend their trophy.

A complete farce.

Just bring back the qualifying round and give the competition some credibility.these were always well supported meetings,the Promoters need to pay the correct rates of pay instead of over the odds that most are forking out and these meetings would be viable,the Finals were always well supported too.

• Like 1

To be fair, they are. Ok the fiurst two managed to sign good reserves on low averages too but they used up lots of points on their top 4.

So you're telling me that teams sign reserves on averages higher than 5 then use the rest for the remaining riders , yeah right that makes sense :rolleyes: Most of the PL team,s have done that this season...NOT!

Just bring back the qualifying round and give the competition some credibility.these were always well supported meetings,the Promoters need to pay the correct rates of pay instead of over the odds that most are forking out and these meetings would be viable,the Finals were always well supported too.

13 teams in the league. 3x4=12. Which team will miss out in the qualifying rounds?