British Speedway Forum

Time For A Revamp Of The Gp's?

RIDERS on Saturday said the track was perfect. Not too slick, not too grippy, very smooth, no ruts. What more do you want?

Hi Phil,

it's just another angle on things, we know some riders favour the slick and also with the grip, but we rarely get to see the latter in action. At the end of the day the riders have to adapt to all track conditions, but we never get to physically see this as most of the tracks are slick (lets be honest, 75% of GPs are slick lately)

Hi Phil,

it's just another angle on things, we know some riders favour the slick and also with the grip, but we rarely get to see the latter in action. At the end of the day the riders have to adapt to all track conditions, but we never get to physically see this as most of the tracks are slick (lets be honest, 75% of GPs are slick lately)

Wouldn't that mean 25% are not slick?

This year I've gotten back into my speedway after a couple of years not watching it. I am enjoying it but i think it needs to learn from other sports to make it more exciting and bring the new riders through.

1 A bonus prize for a maximum (or the prize topped up) to 24000, pounds, euros, dollars, złoty etc dependant on the host country.

I've looked thru the results and a maximum has happened around 6 times since the currant format was started. This would make the riders fight for each point rather than settling for second place, especially in the semis. (Snooker and darts both have bonus structures similar to this and they make the players try to to achive the maximum when they are close.)

2 A GP2 seriies to also act as qualifier for the GP,fully televised maybe on the friday night before the gp in new countries or the host country near to the GP, similar format to the gps with rotation of 16 riders from 24 ish with bias towards the host countrys riders. So in the uk it could be in Somerset. A final at the end of the season for a qualification for the GP with the bottom 7 GP riders from last year and top from GP2.

3 Involve more countrys this year there are 3 in Poland I know speedway is huge there but 3 is too many. Bring back Germany, Slovenia maybe add Australia, USA etc.

Hold up, Pearson continually screams how "every point is vital" are you telling us that is not the case and Pearson is wrong?

Even more unlikely, a rider could become World Champ without winning a single race. Finish second in every heat, semi and final with different winners of all the finals and it's job done!

That's the case in many motor sports. Also one wouldn't need to finish as high as second in every race either.

It is quite obvious that a shake up is needed. All Poles,Swedes,Danes need to be banned for at least five years(oh and Yanks and Russians) and all eleven rounds need to be run in the UK.

The federations of the banned nations will be required to pay all the costs of these meetings so that all income from them can go directly to the BSPA due to the wine cellar for the AGM running dangerously low. Of course the BSPA will promise to set aside a tenner for the development of young British talent unless of course ther has been a run on the 1972 Chablis forcing a price spike.

All I'm saying is that the winner of the GP should also be the rider with the most points. It has always been that way until recent years and my points system above would ensure that.

That way there would have been some GPs where we already have a winner before the final. Genius.

Edited by falcace

I've given this some thought, I now think riders should get a point for makings the semis, they shuold also get a point for scoring a point. They should ago get 6 points for turning up to the meeting. And 3 points for wearing a helmet.

The fact they should be doing these things anyway is irrelevant, lets just reward everyone. Oh and all points will be removed after the penultimate round to give everyone a chance of winning the title, it's not fair that someone may have had a bad year that they cant win the title - We should call it the "one of World final", people will flock to it.

Explain..

PRESUMABLY because a rider could score 16 points and not make the final whereas it is possible to win the final and go away with 15.

PRESUMABLY because a rider could score 16 points and not make the final whereas it is possible to win the final and go away with 15.

But, as already stated, points are for the World Championship final placings ... the final determines the winner. See no problem in that and apparently nor do a lot of other people.

Why? your reward for making the semi's is that you have already scored the points in the heats.

Surely a rider who reaches the semi's deserves at least a point when finishing 4th ...??? Otherwise he's only scored the same points as the qualifying heats being the same as riders who DIDN'T even qualify for the semi's. And should also be a deservedly earned reward for the rider finishing 4th in Final, as he's obviously ridden better than other riders to get there and then gains nowt!!

This is the only thing I see wrong with the GP scoring system

Surely a rider who reaches the semi's deserves at least a point when finishing 4th ...??? Otherwise he's only scored the same points as the qualifying heats being the same as riders who DIDN'T even qualify for the semi's. And should also be a deservedly earned reward for the rider finishing 4th in Final, as he's obviously ridden better than other riders to get there and then gains nowt!!

This is the only thing I see wrong with the GP scoring system

Yes, he's ridden better than those who didn't make it so has already scored more points. Maybe all riders who finish in the top 10 should get an extra point too, as they've worked hard to score more than the riders who finished 11-16. Top 8 is an arbitary amount, if we just had a final and no semi, only the top 4 would get extra points anyway.

What about the guy finishing last in the final? He gets no extra points for that either.

And should also be a deservedly earned reward for the rider finishing 4th in Final, as he's obviously ridden better than other riders to get there and then gains nowt!!

What about the guy finishing last in the final? He gets no extra points for that either.

I think we have ourselves an agreement.

I am now lost as to who is being sarcastic and who is being genuine with their belief that a rider who ends last in a semi or final deserves points.....

I will state categorically that I believe that last place in any race deserves no points, so the current system works for me...

Why should a rider who makes a semi final on, let's say 7 points, get a further reward over and above others that also finished on 7 points who missed out on the semi final just because of a difference of race wins, second places, etc, etc.....They already got their reward by getting a semi final place and a chance to make more points by beating other riders.. If they can't make anything better than a last out of that, why should they be given an extra point?

Similarly, anyone who made the final has already had the benefit of at least 2 extra points due to their semi final appearance....If they can't beat someone in the final, why should they get more??

• Like 1

Changes I would like to see are ......

TOP TEN QUALIFY = With the riders in the series now, the top ten are all riders capable of winning a GP and should be in the series.

GP CHALLENE = Top 3 Qualify ....... However the top 2 from the 20 heats go through with the next four in a run off for the last place

ONLY 2 NOMINATED RIDERS = There are not that many riders around that are as ood as the current top ten and if they are, they may have qualified any way. ...... At present I would say Darcy Ward is a definate should he not qualify and these nominations can also be used if a top rider misses meetings through injury. ...... World U21 Champion worth consideration

POINTS IN SEMI-FINAL = Have to agree that the top 8 in each meeting deserve a small bonus for reaching the ko stage ..... but I would go for 3 - 2 - 1 - 1 in the Semi Finals ...... 0 if excluded or fail to finish.

Changes I would like to see are ......

TOP TEN QUALIFY = With the riders in the series now, the top ten are all riders capable of winning a GP and should be in the series.

GP CHALLENE = Top 3 Qualify ....... However the top 2 from the 20 heats go through with the next four in a run off for the last place

ONLY 2 NOMINATED RIDERS = There are not that many riders around that are as ood as the current top ten and if they are, they may have qualified any way. ...... At present I would say Darcy Ward is a definate should he not qualify and these nominations can also be used if a top rider misses meetings through injury. ...... World U21 Champion worth consideration

POINTS IN SEMI-FINAL = Have to agree that the top 8 in each meeting deserve a small bonus for reaching the ko stage ..... but I would go for 3 - 2 - 1 - 1 in the Semi Finals ...... 0 if excluded or fail to finish.

Personally i would like to se; top 5 qualifies directly to next season, 1 nominee and the rest through GP qualifiers.

Edited by Ghostwalker