British Speedway Forum

Croatian Gp Gorican 28th July

Congratulations nicki p :t::party: and must say a massive well done to bomber tonight.

Bomber did well tonight, but I fear his GP future is looking bleak, I like him as a racer, but the problem is, we know he can do it and mix it when things are working in his favour, but he is so inconsistent.

What are these commentators all about? 'Chains get very hot'!

Holder's unfortune had nothing to do with chain temperature... Holders skid shoe clattered off the chain and shattered it.

No, Chris' chain just failed, his steel shoe was below the primary cover when the failure occurred.

I thought it was going to be a boring looking meeting!

But it somehow worked.

Sometimes a track with a hole a groove some grip can add to the meeting the racing.

Nikki P, he wants it and going well cool calm & quick.

Mr G, (When did they start calling him that?) Rubbish to start with came on so strong, a couple of blinding passes (wow) could have won it.

AJ, On top form,(Class) tailed off (a little poorly?)

The son of the bloke who owns the track??? did well (Daddy must have been loving it!) and why not he was quick and held nerve, could have won it!

Holder, Ouch! went ok, bad luck on crash, ouch again. Not his best meeting.

Crump, Hot and cold understandable. Quick at times

Harris. MY GOD HE IS SO FRUSTRATING. WHEN HE MISSES A GATE HE MISSES THE GATE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can be a proper alarm clock job! (wake up the tapes are up) But a better GP and had speed/pace!

Hancock. Good as ever but a little short on pace & fight.

Peter Ljung. I think I would have given up and gone home! He must be good but not at GP"s

Emil, Bjerre, Lindgren, Lindback, Bjarne blowing hot and cold.

But I did enjoy the GP! ha ha

Must stop shouting at Harris for missing the gate!!!!!!! (The TV does not listen)

Bomber did well tonight, but I fear his GP future is looking bleak, I like him as a racer, but the problem is, we know he can do it and mix it when things are working in his favour, but he is so inconsistent.

He did do well but I hope that a half decent finish will not result in another wild card for him as there are far too many decent riders who deserve half the chances he has had. Ward, MJJ, Vaculik, G Laguta are just a few of those who deserve a chance to show what they can do. Bomber has used up all of his chances. The only Brit who deserves even consideration is Woffinden and he has too many riders in front of him. Britain does not deserve a rider in SGP unless we qualify.

They should bring back the Grand Prix Challenge as it used to be.

The bottom seven from 2012 Grand Prix's should race against the top nine for the Grand Prix Challenge, in Groican, for seven or eight places in Grand Prix 2013.

Anything else makes a mockery of a World Championship. Get rid of the Grand Prix 2013 picks.

2012 Grand Prix Challenge Finalist

Ales Dryml (Czech Republic)

Krysztof Kasprzak (Poland)

Peter Ljung (Sweden)

Martin Vaculik (Slovakia)

Troy Batchelor (Australia)

Niels-Kristian Iversen (Denmark)

Davey Watt (Australia)

Michael Jepsen Jensen (Denmark)

Grzegorz Walasek (Poland)

Adrian Miedzinski (Poland)

Antonio Lindback (Sweden)

Leon Madsen (Denmark)

Martin Smolinski (Germany)

Hans Andersen (Denmark)

Matej Zagar (Slovenia)

Jurica Pavlic (Croatia) wild card for the meeting most likely

My top nine qualifiers are in BOLD these verses the bottom seven Grand Prix riders would make a brilliant meeting

Edited by Robbie B
  • Like 1

He did do well but I hope that a half decent finish will not result in another wild card for him as there are far too many decent riders who deserve half the chances he has had. Ward, MJJ, Vaculik, G Laguta are just a few of those who deserve a chance to show what they can do. Bomber has used up all of his chances. The only Brit who deserves even consideration is Woffinden and he has too many riders in front of him. Britain does not deserve a rider in SGP unless we qualify.

Watch the crowds dip at Cardiff though if a Brit is not in there. Be interesting to see the crowd size this year.

Well done to NP and Bomber on last night's performance. Even Hansi didn't do too bad.

Would like to see Hansi, Bratch, and the Zagarmeister in the GPs next year.

Edited by cockney robin

Great to see Nicki back on top with some great gates and decent racing. Let's hope he can keep whatever he has got going for the rest of the years GP's.

Nice to see Bomber really racing like he can, on an engine that was up to the job. More GP's like last night and be could keep his place next year.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2

They should bring back the Grand Prix Challenge as it used to be.

The bottom seven from 2012 Grand Prix's should race against the top nine for the Grand Prix Challenge, in Groican, for seven or eight places in Grand Prix 2013.

Anything else makes a mockery of a World Championship. Get rid of the Grand Prix 2013 picks.

2012 Grand Prix Challenge Finalist

Ales Dryml (Czech Republic)

Krysztof Kasprzak (Poland)

Peter Ljung (Sweden)

Martin Vaculik (Slovakia)

Troy Batchelor (Australia)

Niels-Kristian Iversen (Denmark)

Davey Watt (Australia)

Michael Jepsen Jensen (Denmark)

Grzegorz Walasek (Poland)

Adrian Miedzinski (Poland)

Antonio Lindback (Sweden)

Leon Madsen (Denmark)

Martin Smolinski (Germany)

Hans Andersen (Denmark)

Matej Zagar (Slovenia)

Jurica Pavlic (Croatia) wild card for the meeting most likely

My top nine qualifiers are in BOLD these verses the bottom seven Grand Prix riders would make a brilliant meeting

Rubbish, the idea of the picks is certainly a good one IMO if the best riders are chosen.

For example,Darcy Ward who is obviously a rider of GP standard gets taken out on turn 1 of this challenge meeting. Has to withdraw, doesnt qualify. Surely he deserves a pick from the organisers as he would make the season more exciting for the fans.

Rubbish, the idea of the picks is certainly a good one IMO if the best riders are chosen.

For example,Darcy Ward who is obviously a rider of GP standard gets taken out on turn 1 of this challenge meeting. Has to withdraw, doesnt qualify. Surely he deserves a pick from the organisers as he would make the season more exciting for the fans.

Sorry I have to disagree with there.

I remember the day when all riders had to qualify for World Finals.

Occasionally very good riders did miss the World Finals due to injury, but I also remember riders riding in severe pain just to ride in these qualifying rounds.

Darcy Ward, didn't even bother with the GP qualifiers this season, so why should he have a pick in front of all the riders, that made an effort to qualify for GP's in 2013. He maybe a great rider and I would love to see him as a full-time GP rider, but surely all riders should be treated the same otherwise you have inequality.This is just my opinion.

Anyway top three in the GP Challenge is unfair a rider could have a engine failure that would stop him from qualifying. Have seven places in a meeting with the bottom seven GP riders and the top nine from Groican would eliminate this problem.

Edited by Robbie B
  • Like 2

They were also the days when riders were seeded through to the final........ ;) ;)

I know - some of the World Champions in the 1950s were.

But you would still have this, with the top eight GP riders being seeded in 2013 as normal.

A top seven or eight from a GP Challenge like it used to be would freshen-up the GP series every year, with every rider having to earn the place.

I know - some of the World Champions in the 1950s were.

But you would still have this, with the top eight GP riders being seeded in 2013 as normal.

A top seven or eight from a GP Challenge like it used to be would freshen-up the GP series every year, with every rider having to earn the place.

How did the Polish riders in 73 get into the final?We have done all this to death....just search for some of the numerous threads.....it isn't about making the line-up fresh.It's about ensuring the best riders are in.Apart from the usual Brit picked and darcy opting out for certain reasons they generally get it right....and if they don't it is normally those that have qualified....so making more places for qualifiers isn't the way

Do think the problem with the starting grids needs addressing. Last night the ruts looked deeper than the trenches in the first World War. I know not possible to use concrete starts, but something needs doing

Robbie B agree with you 100% or should it be 110% about bring back the old GP challenge, with perhaps. The wild card system is a mockery, but not sure how it will happen as the organisers seem to run the show. Not sure that Cardiff would suffer if no Brit rider.

• Like 1

How did the Polish riders in 73 get into the final?We have done all this to death....just search for some of the numerous threads.....it isn't about making the line-up fresh.It's about ensuring the best riders are in.Apart from the usual Brit picked and darcy opting out for certain reasons they generally get it right....and if they don't it is normally those that have qualified....so making more places for qualifiers isn't the way

Not sure about Polish qualifiers in 1973 for their four riders, have to check up on this. I know that Poland ran qualifiers for their riders for the 1970 World Final.

You would have the best riders in the GPs as they are the one's that would have qualified. Maybe some surprise names but at least they would have earned their places.

Do think the problem with the starting grids needs addressing. Last night the ruts looked deeper than the trenches in the first World War. I know not possible to use concrete starts, but something needs doing

Robbie B agree with you 100% or should it be 110% about bring back the old GP challenge, with perhaps. The wild card system is a mockery, but not sure how it will happen as the organisers seem to run the show. Not sure that Cardiff would suffer if no Brit rider.

Not much you could do with racing surface I think, as I doubt if they would change the racing surface. Ruts happen at all tracks even though at the starting gates last night they were very deep.

Totally agree with you the people who run the GP's have too much power. The old Grand Prix Challenge was great meeting, as it gave everyone a chance to qualify for next season's GP meetings.

Would the crowd go down if there was no British rider in the GPs it would be disappointing not to have a British rider, but I think people will turn up and watch the meeting. And of course the meeting will still be on TV not matter what riders are in the event, so no loss of TV money there.

Edited by Robbie B

I fully agree with you.its a worry to see.as he is at home aswell.hes had so much bad luck this season.hope things get better for him.

Just back from Gorican-great weekend can recommend great hotel 20 miles from the track for anyone thinking of going to the challenge or a GP there in the future http://www.booking.com/hotel/hr/spa-golfer.en-gb.html?aid=303948;label=sveti-martin-na-muri-cbv8r6zkBHnXuhI5qwudOgS8397089181%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=80ee37697b2b1a5139cccf7ae7156458;dcid=1;srfid=4757158988faaaa21ee92154a263a85dX1

7 of the riders were staying there.

As for Bomber if he can keep up that peformance level he has every chance of finishing 9th,and if he could do that then in my opinion would deserve another chance next season.

• Like 1

I just got back aswell after a long drive back to NL. Awesome weekend in Croatia, already looking forward to the challenge in September.

Just a tip for the people that will attend the challenge; on the day after (sunday) there will be a big meeting in Mureck (Austria), only 90 minutes from Gorican. They will stage the 4th (and last) final of the 2012 European Championship.

As for Bomber if he can keep up that peformance level he has every chance of finishing 9th,and if he could do that then in my opinion would deserve another chance next season.

In my opinion the only way Harris 'deserves' yet another go, is if he qualifies. If he finishes 9th in a season when one of the top runners (Hampel) has had a serious injury, then he'll have to go through the qualifiers like riders from any other nation. The fact is, aside from one freakish season, Harris has been a serial failure in the GP's.

The machinery excuses are tiresome now as well. I'm sorry, but ensuring your bikes are set up correctly is part and parcel of being a speedway rider at any level, let alone in the World Championship. It's not as if he hasn't had years to perfect it either, he's had season after season to get it right and also the benefit of the sponsorship opportunities that go with it.

Give someone else a go.

JT.

• Like 2

this comes from the speedway gp website. What a poor excuse

It was the first time Bomber had failed to reach the Gorican rostrum in three SGP appearances there. And the rider admits a poor gate choice and his slick struggles cost him. He said: “I picked the wrong gate for the semi. Nobody told me what the gates were doing really. I thought gate two was working better than it was. I just didn’t move at all at the start.

All he had to do was look at the scoreboard directly behind the Monster girls who held the gate cards. Oh dear.

Edited by Mark
  • Like 2