British Speedway Forum

Brilliant Club Men

g13webb

['norbold' timestamp=1330666739' post='2084030]

Phil Clarke, Billy Bales, Ove Fundin all at Norwich.

Phil Clarke and Billy Bales were tremendous clubmen at the Firs while Ove Fundin was different. Granted Fundin kept loyal to Norwich and I'm certain if Norwich had stayed open another 10+ years then he'd of continued riding much longer but Ove wasn't much of a team man although obviously his contribution to Norwich speedway was huge and still remembered to this day and for many years to come!

Another loyal clubman who never rode for anyone else was one of Ipswich Witches all time greats Tony "Shrimp" Davey, 1970-1980!

In modern times Chris Louis' loyalty to the Ipswich Witches 1989-1998 riding and 1998-present as part of the management has to be one of the best examples of club loyalty when one considers Chris was one of the best riders in the world in his prime and could of easily left for another club willing to pay him more!

['norbold' timestamp=1330666739' post='2084030]

Phil Clarke, Billy Bales, Ove Fundin all at Norwich.

Phil Clarke and Billy Bales were tremendous clubmen at the Firs while Ove Fundin was different. Granted Fundin kept loyal to Norwich and I'm certain if Norwich had stayed open another 10+ years then he'd of continued riding much longer but Ove wasn't much of a team man although obviously his contribution to Norwich speedway was huge and still remembered to this day and for many years I know what you mean about Ove FAnother loyal clubman who never rode for anyone else was one of Ipswich Witches all time greats Tony "Shrimp" Davey, 1970-1980!

In modern times Chris Louis' loyalty to the Ipswich Witches 1989-1998 riding and 1998-present as part of the management has to be one of the best examples of club loyalty when one considers Chris was one of the best riders in the world in his prime and could of easily left for another club willing to pay him more!

I know what you mean about Ove Fundin in one sense, but do you go to the Norwich WSRA dinner? I go every year and there is no doubt who the Norwich hero amongst the old-timers is!

Chris Louis at Ipswich is a great call. I believe that apart from one year at Hackney, he never rode for another club.

Which in this day and age is a great achievement and certainly worthy of attention...

And he probably would of done another 10 years, at Sheffield, you would think Ricky deserved better than that.He would be the first bloke i would of had signed everyyear all he wanted to do was make a decent living good luck at Berwick Ricky.

And he probably would of done another 10 years, at Sheffield, you would think Ricky deserved better than that.He would be the first bloke i would of had signed everyyear all he wanted to do was make a decent living good luck at Berwick Ricky.

And you have there summed it up in a nutshell. Ricky Ashworth stayed at Sheffield because, even though the points money could have been better elswhere, he knew he could score a bagfull of points and earn a nice living, better than he could elsewhere. His loyalty was entirely to himself, not that there is anything wrong with that. Nowadays in particular dont be fooled into this great clubman mentality if a rider stays a few years at a certain track. It is purely because it is where he can earn the most money and that it sits nice with other commitments. Speedway riders, like all sportsmen these days, are simply hired hands who go where the best deal is

And you have there summed it up in a nutshell. Ricky Ashworth stayed at Sheffield because, even though the points money could have been better elswhere, he knew he could score a bagfull of points and earn a nice living, better than he could elsewhere. His loyalty was entirely to himself, not that there is anything wrong with that. Nowadays in particular dont be fooled into this great clubman mentality if a rider stays a few years at a certain track. It is purely because it is where he can earn the most money and that it sits nice with other commitments. Speedway riders, like all sportsmen these days, are simply hired hands who go where the best deal is

I dont think Ashworth considered going to Plymouth Oldace if that was the case do you?Treated shabilly in my opinion because of the pathetic rules we have in speedway he didnt get the El meetings he wanted to boost his income.These riders are the bread and butter of the sport and they risk there lives and deserve rewarding did Sheffield show him any LOYALTY?

I dont think Ashworth considered going to Plymouth Oldace if that was the case do you?Treated shabilly in my opinion because of the pathetic rules we have in speedway he didnt get the El meetings he wanted to boost his income.These riders are the bread and butter of the sport and they risk there lives and deserve rewarding did Sheffield show him any LOYALTY?

I am not sure he was treated shabbily. He was told at the end of last season his services were no longer required, it isn't an unusual occurrance.

I am not sure he was treated shabbily. He was told at the end of last season his services were no longer required, it isn't an unusual occurrance.

A very strange decision? wouldnt be so bad if they replaced him with someone better.Loyalty works both ways anyway Ashworth hopefully will benefit, in my view a very talented rider and should be averaging 9 in the PL.

Guest compost

Couple more for you

Bluey Wilkinson West Ham 1929 to 1939 inc

Arthur Atkinson West Ham 1931 to 1939 inc & 1951

Bernie Leigh Reading 1969 to 1981 (except 74 when the Racers didn't operate) - 7 of those seasons were ever-present in League & Cup

What about Jack Parker ? He appears only to have moved because he had to - Coventry close 1930 move to Southampton. Saints move to lea Bridge in 1932. Lea Bridge closes 1933. With Harringay until start of war. After war, moved (allocated) to Belle Vue where he stays until retirement in 1954.

Haven't seen any mention of Les McGillivray. He set an all time British League record for consequtive (sp ?) appearance for Hackney between 2/4/65 and retirement at the end of 1970 - 223 successive matches.

Anybody mentioned Peter Craven ? Belle Vue 52 to 63 inc.

I think if we talk about 'club men',we shouldn't forget Ronnie Greene who was at Wimbledon from the early 30's til the early 70's i think i am right in saying.

Been a few at foreign clubs that have done more than 20 years service.Huszcza in Poland and was it Samuelsson in Sweden.But i think the rider at the moment with the longest unbroken service must be Matten Kröger at Brokstedt who a few years back recieved a medal for 25 years service,so must be going into his 27th or 28th season now.....

Nowadays in particular dont be fooled into this great clubman mentality if a rider stays a few years at a certain track. It is purely because it is where he can earn the most money and that it sits nice with other commitments. Speedway riders, like all sportsmen these days, are simply hired hands who go where the best deal is

Understand what you say, but I feel you are wrong to tar all riders with that same brush. There are some riders out there with loyality and committment.

Talking with them, you learn some are in this sport for the enjoyment, the money side is secondary. Equipement is expensive and bills need to be paid, so, of cause money comes into it . But it's not the be all that you prophesise

Edited by GRW123

Bernie Leigh Reading 1969 to 1981 (except 74 when the Racers didn't operate) - 7 of those seasons were ever-present in League & Cup

I thought about Bernie after I posted previously.

Haven't seen any mention of Les McGillivray.

I mentioned him in post #20.

Anybody mentioned Peter Craven ? Belle Vue 52 to 63 inc.

Sidney mentioned him in post#4.

Steve

I think if we talk about 'club men',we shouldn't forget Ronnie Greene who was at Wimbledon from the early 30's til the early 70's i think i am right in saying.

And the Cearns family too. I know Roger is very proud of his father John's massively long period of service as General Manager at Wimbledon Stadium. Much of that time in tandem with Ronnie Greene

• Like 1

And remember Sagey's amazing overall record - he had been ever-present in Division One with West Ham and then Ipswich (effectively same side) for four consecutive seasons before joining Crayford: and then racked up an incredible 327 consecutive appearances in official fixtures before breaking his leg riding for the Kestrels in July 1979. Then when he returned mid-season in 1980, he never missed another match for Crayford; and was ever-present again for Arena Essex in ’84 and ’85 and then for Canterbury in his final season of ’86. So in 16 seasons from 1971 to 1986 Sagey was ever-present in 14 of them: an incredible record! Great gas engineer too!!