British Speedway Forum

Could Mike Bast Have Been A Force In World Speedway?

stratton

Was talented no doubt ,always had good aquipment, and i believe he would of done well. I think if he had gone to say Wimbledon he would of done ok but he was not confident anough in his own ability to come out of his comfort zone.No comparison really between himself and Autrey and others who come over and proved themselves in World speedway.

Edited by sidney

If the then highly unfair one off World Championships had been held at Costa Mesa he'd have been a favourite,

A throwaway comment with no basis in fact!

Look at the number of quality riders with multiple win and rostrum positions. Only TWO WCs in the whole post-war period about whom it could be argued that they would probably only have won in a one-off basis on the particular track staging that Final.

• Like 1

A throwaway comment with no basis in fact!Look at the number of quality riders with multiple win and rostrum positions. Only TWO WCs in the whole post-war period about whom it could be argued that they would probably only have won in a one-off basis on the particular track staging that Final.

True, but I can't think of any world final - including those where sckaziel and muller won - which were not conventional speedway tracks. Costa mesa is something else. Of course there is the matter of qualification - early 70s bast would likely have been seeded direct to the final, but late 70s would have been competing with autrey and penhall for the spot, so no guarantee he would have qualified.

If he had though, he would have had a genuine title chance imho.

Im agree Costa Mesa would certainly have favoured Bast big time.What I was pointing out was Vince's totally incorrect assertion that the whole World Final system was "highly unfair".It patently was not.

He never really beat a top field, top of there game when he won the USA national championships in the late seventies 79/1980? Autrey had his dispute i think it ruled him out until 1980 Autrey he qualified i believe for the Overseas Final at white city in 1980. I went to White city in 77 Penhall rode(was competetive) Bast looked totally out of his depth he said he did not get anough practice maybe he didnt but i did exspect him to qualify that day was disappointed with his performance.

I went to White city in 77 Penhall rode(was competetive) Bast looked totally out of his depth

Wasn't THAT much difference.. Penhall scored three points; Mike Bast scored just the one!

Penhall's massive improvement from that to being World Champ 4 years later was born out of riding in the UK. Bast would certainly have improved as well if he'd ever chosen that route.

Im agree Costa Mesa would certainly have favoured Bast big time.What I was pointing out was Vince's totally incorrect assertion that the whole World Final system was "highly unfair".It patently was not.

I guess its relative - there are certainly arguments for it being less fair than the gp system, but lets not open that argument again!

Wasn't THAT much difference.. Penhall scored three points; Mike Bast scored just the one!Penhall's massive improvement from that to being World Champ 4 years later was born out of riding in the UK. Bast would certainly have improved as well if he'd ever chosen that route.

Penhall was the better rider end of, in this meeting mixed it well was competetive.Within three years he could of won the final i believe he was the bookies favourite in Lee's year Bast would of never been at that level i am convinced but he was a very good rider.

Penhall was the better rider end of, in this meeting mixed it well was competetive.Within three years he could of won the final i believe he was the bookies favourite in Lee's year Bast would of never been at that level i am convinced but he was a very good rider.

To be prdantic, jessup was the bookies favourite in 80, penhall was second favourite

Penhall, hancock, ermolenko, milne x 2, laveraux, moran x 2, hamill, autrey, sigalos, schwartz, king.

All americans I would rank higher.

laveraux - I assume that should be Lamoreaux?

You didn't put Bast in your calculations "Gustix" as a top 20 of all time did you.?

Where is my list for a "top 20 riders of all time"?

Sorry i am mistaken i thought you were the big supporter of him? my opologise.

You seemed to indicate I had already made a 'top twenty riders of all time" as I read your Post. As I didn't how can you ask if I had left out a certain rider? That's not what this thread is about anyway.

You seemed to indicate I had already made a 'top twenty riders of all time" as I read your Post. As I didn't how can you ask if I had left out a certain rider? That's not what this thread is about anyway.

Were u previously "speedy guy". If so u promised to provide such a list but didnt, but did claim bast would be in your top 20.