British Speedway Forum

Western Springs Speedway Under Threat

Western Springs has been operating since 1929, and like most suburban tracks has had constant battles with the City Council - when I lived in NZ in the seventies I remember new restrictions imposed then. Now it's under attack again, with totally unrealistic demands being bandied about by the NIMBY community - can't have anyone enjoying themselves, can we? - and an On-line Petition has been started by the Western Springs Speedway Heritage site to call for help from the wider community of Speedway Fans - http://www.speedwayclub.co.nz/signpetition.php

If you've got a minute please take the time to join the over 35,000 signatures from around the World already recorded - thanks.

Western Springs has been operating since 1929, and like most suburban tracks has had constant battles with the City Council - when I lived in NZ in the seventies I remember new restrictions imposed then. Now it's under attack again, with totally unrealistic demands being bandied about by the NIMBY community - can't have anyone enjoying themselves, can we? - and an On-line Petition has been started by the Western Springs Speedway Heritage site to call for help from the wider community of Speedway Fans - http://www.speedwayclub.co.nz/signpetition.php

If you've got a minute please take the time to join the over 35,000 signatures from around the World already recorded - thanks.

Done.... But pc norwood is the man they need to contact I reckon :)
  • Like 1

Not today, Britmet: it's Sunday - they usually race on Saturday night - http://springsspeedway.com/ - plus it's set up for Sprintcars at the moment; no fun riding a bike on Clay.

Okay, I'll rephrase it, - Any Solo racing this season, or this decade, at W.Springs ? Apparently not, for the link gives us 'Classes & Drivers' and 'Race & Results', with no mention of Solos or s/cars in either.

It seems Western Springs is already lost to speedway, (as known to European followers.)

When did bikes last have a full season ?

Okay, I'll rephrase it, - Any Solo racing this season, or this decade, at W.Springs ? Apparently not, for the link gives us 'Classes & Drivers' and 'Race & Results', with no mention of Solos or s/cars in either.

It seems Western Springs is already lost to speedway, (as known to European followers.)

When did bikes last have a full season ?

OK I'll repeat - it's set up for Sprintcars at the moment. I'm sure some Kay-One will answer your other questions' I haven't lived in UnZud since '78.

Is there any Solo racing at W.Springs today ?

There hasn't been any solo racing at Western Springs for years - many years. The circuit is now designed to cater mainly for sprint cars and midgets cars, which are the real crowd pullers in NZ.

It's only a minor meeting remember..... the likes of Crump, Gollob, Hancock etc :wink:

I doubt if they will mean as much to the locals as names like Jerry Coons, Jonathan Allard, Dean Brindle and Ricky Logan for example.

Edited by speedyguy