British Speedway Forum

Great Partnerships

waiheke1

ah, so you're basing your opinion of him on his performances in his first season in the British League...

No i followed his career alot,a fine career he had too see a fair bit of him did surprise me somewhat what he achieved .Theyre are some riders that are like that surely you must of been the same with certain riders?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sydney, I understand what you're saying, and happy to agree to disagree on Sam over-achieving, but its this line which I really struggle to comprehend.

Ermolenko for me was one of the most unimpressive americans

Some of the other Americans from the 80s: Kosta, Ingels, Miller, Faria, Pyeatt, Lucero, Rooney, Pfetzing, Christian, Correy, Preston, Oxley, Gresham. Some decent riders in that list, some pretty mediocre ones as well. Do you still stand by your claim above?

Sydney, I understand what you're saying, and happy to agree to disagree on Sam over-achieving, but its this line which I really struggle to comprehend.

Some of the other Americans from the 80s: Kosta, Ingels, Miller, Faria, Pyeatt, Lucero, Rooney, Pfetzing, Christian, Correy, Preston, Oxley, Gresham. Some decent riders in that list, some pretty mediocre ones as well. Do you still stand by your claim above?

No all i am saying in my personnal opinion i rated Penhall,S Moran K Moran Sigalos Autrey higher than sudden Sam.Alan Christian when did he ride for a B.L club? also missed out Mcconnell Chrisko G.Woods.

Really..

Seem to remember something different happen in 1987 when Ermolenko picked off Morton at Hyde Road as Wolves won 40-38.

Don't recall that one myself and it's a virtual certainty I was there. But then, I'm a big Morton fan, you're clearly a big Sudden Sam fan. I suppose our favourite memories of our favourite riders are the ones we are most likely to hang on to. In terms of individual success, someone like Sam would certainly rank higher than Mort. But I think this thread is much more about two riders punching above their weight when they came together as a pair. Which is why people have - quite correctly - mentioned Phil Collins/Alan Grahame and John Jorgensen/Rick Miller as good examples.

When Morton and Collins won the 84 World Pairs, both were arguably (PC certainly) past their best. But they got the better of Gundersen and Nielsen that day, who proved they were the top two individuals in the world that year. That's what a great pair can do. Morton and Collins together were greater than the sum of their parts. I'm not sure you could say the same for Ronnie Correy and Sam Ermolenko. They actually went out in the semi-finals of the World Pairs one year, which is pretty unthinkable for riders of that quality. They did get their hands on the trophy in a different format eventually, but it was very much a Greg Hancock-led victory.

Don't recall that one myself and it's a virtual certainty I was there. But then, I'm a big Morton fan, you're clearly a big Sudden Sam fan. I suppose our favourite memories of our favourite riders are the ones we are most likely to hang on to. In terms of individual success, someone like Sam would certainly rank higher than Mort. But I think this thread is much more about two riders punching above their weight when they came together as a pair. Which is why people have - quite correctly - mentioned Phil Collins/Alan Grahame and John Jorgensen/Rick Miller as good examples.

When Morton and Collins won the 84 World Pairs, both were arguably (PC certainly) past their best. But they got the better of Gundersen and Nielsen that day, who proved they were the top two individuals in the world that year. That's what a great pair can do. Morton and Collins together were greater than the sum of their parts. I'm not sure you could say the same for Ronnie Correy and Sam Ermolenko. They actually went out in the semi-finals of the World Pairs one year, which is pretty unthinkable for riders of that quality. They did get their hands on the trophy in a different format eventually, but it was very much a Greg Hancock-led victory.

I couldnt put those two in a pair Falcace at the same level as Mort and P.C i watch that race of mort,s regularly when he takes Carter from the back in the northern riders some pass as Carter was superb at hyde rd.Schwartz for me was underated as a team rider superb didnt even reach a world final boogaloo was a skilful rider.