British Speedway Forum

Heathens 2012

greyhoundp

Regardless of anything else, its obvious that with a 40 point restriction, you have to field as many riders as possible who are capable of upping their averages. Not much else matters really, and at 6.5 points, Byron is well worth a punt in my book.

There again, I am just slightly biased as I have been a huuuuge fan of his for the past 2 years.

Welcome Byron and 'Ommer 'Um

I know of two fans will be extremely pleased about Byron's move to Dudley - they will save them a fortune in diesel!!! To John and Andy, all I can say is that you got your wish, and you know that Byron is a far better rider than his current average suggests.

• Like 2

i do wonder if Morris needs to be away from monmore to progess his career now,seems good around there but not so hot away,maybe would do him good to go to fresh track now

It's a fair comment as a generalisation but I don't think he is at that stage yet. He improved last season. He started the year on fire but a succession of heavy falls took their toll and his form dipped alarmingly. There wasn't more difference between his home and away stats than you'd expect. He averaged just over 7 at home, just over 6 away. He's only 18 and has only ridden Monmore in the N L for two seasons.

Although I accept riders sometimes need to move around I disagree with you about Ash at this stage.

Some are saying this about Tom Perry also.

It's even less of an issue for Tom in my opinion. He just needs to ride more speedway. He's only ridden most tracks a few times. Coming from grasstrack means wide open spaces hold no fears for him. If anything riding a smaller track with tighter corners is what he needs to improve his speedway technique.

-------------------------------------

New signing on Saturday. Someone new to the club.

http://www.dudleyheathens.co/news.php?extend.456

21st, its not Tom,s technique its his gating which is his biggest let down as we all know, he really needs to work at this aspect of his racing, and yes he maybe is at a point where he needs to decide where his future lies, I think his signing for Somerset should be a good pointer to where he is going in the sport, i just hope they show a little patience and he can complete a full season in the PL.

I feel his style just needs honing, or smoothing out if you will. Compare him having only ridden speedway for a couple of years to Darryl (who has grown up shifting shale) when it comes to changing lines, mid-corner cut-backs etc. Somewhere like Monmore will help him do this. Somerset is a perfect fit for his more natural style of getting out wide and letting the bike run and build speed lap after lap.

I also hope everyone give him time to settle and help with the right set up and lines to ride etc, and Tom, for his part, certainly does need to decide whether he wants to really get stuck in and further his speedway career. I hope the Aussie trip and this PL chance has convinced him that speedway is the way forward.

And yes, his gating is shocking at times but he has improved on it from 2010 to 2011. 2012 is a big year for him already.

It's a fair comment as a generalisation but I don't think he is at that stage yet. He improved last season. He started the year on fire but a succession of heavy falls took their toll and his form dipped alarmingly. There wasn't more difference between his home and away stats than you'd expect. He averaged just over 7 at home, just over 6 away.

He's only 18 and has only ridden Monmore in the N L for two seasons.

Ashley rode for Scunthorpe Saints in 2009 alongside Byron the skipper;

15 mtgs, Ave. 5.56. (Byron 10 mtgs, Ave 8.83.)

Bekker should really be a steal on that average. He's still relatively young and has been a consistent heatleader in the NL for a few years, should is certainly capable of 8.00+

Last year was decimated by injury and the Belle Vue track probably didnt help! With the Cradley boys in his pits corner already, he'll be well backed. He's been a reliable guest for us for the last couple of seasons, coming in to replace our Number One. Now he comes in on a 6.5 average. Potentially strong team coming together nicely!

Edit: James White-Williams also now confirmed on 4.53 average.

Edited by heathen79

I remember someone saying Bekker was a steal last season on his average from the year before, but it still went down. Ditto for James. Both riders will get my full vocal support when they pull on the Heathens race jacket but I'm going to need some convincing we've signed the right riders for 2012. My challenge to both of them is to go out there and prove me wrong. ;):D

--------------------------

Our side seems almost done and dusted now. The club have confirmed they'll speak to Ash and Tom when they get back from Aus. It would be a major surprise if they don't re-sign, so with the exception of nailing down which 3-pointer it will be our line up is virtually confirmed.

Roynon

Morris

Bekker

Perry

White-Williams

Ritchings

?

I've said all along my preference would be Clegg at reserve but I expect N Stoneman. Time will tell. :)

I remember someone saying Bekker was a steal last season on his average from the year before, but it still went down. Ditto for James. Both riders will get my full vocal support when they pull on the Heathens race jacket but I'm going to need some convincing we've signed the right riders for 2012. My challenge to both of them is to go out there and prove me wrong. ;):D

--------------------------

Our side seems almost done and dusted now. The club have confirmed they'll speak to Ash and Tom when they get back from Aus. It would be a major surprise if they don't re-sign, so with the exception of nailing down which 3-pointer it will be our line up is virtually confirmed.

Roynon

Morris

Bekker

Perry

White-Williams

Ritchings

?

I've said all along my preference would be Clegg at reserve but I expect N Stoneman. Time will tell. :)

At the end of the day, all we need is for em to improve their 2011 average, which they are both more than capable of doing. To my mind, its a far better option than signing someone like Kurtz who is indeed a top rider, but can't improve his average by that much.

As far as the reserve is concerned, I expect neither Clegg or Nathan. I expect Dan Greenwood. Having said that, I've said all along that an untried 3 pointer is a bit of a lottery really. Either of them could turn out to be hopeless or brilliant. Could be interesting.

At the end of the day, all we need is for em to improve their 2011 average, which they are both more than capable of doing. To my mind, its a far better option than signing someone like Kurtz who is indeed a top rider, but can't improve his average by that much.

As far as the reserve is concerned, I expect neither Clegg or Nathan. I expect Dan Greenwood. Having said that, I've said all along that an untried 3 pointer is a bit of a lottery really. Either of them could turn out to be hopeless or brilliant. Could be interesting.

"EXPECT" Wow......Typical british write the young ones off before they get going.I,ve seen both these kids and i would say they both have a bright future in the sport(if given the chance to learn),after all isn't that what this league is about????hopefully one day soon you'll be cheering for them.ps if my info is correct your second expectation is correct.good luck dan.

At the end of the day, all we need is for em to improve their 2011 average...

Not necessarily. The points limit is below the average number of points scored in a meeting. The team could improve its average and still be crap. :lol::P

Typical british write the young ones off before they get going.

Hang on mate, they weren't written off. He said untried 3-pointers could be brilliant or hopeless. I can't see anything wrong with that, although we do have some youngsters coming through that have shown well at junior level. villiers remembers only too well some of the reserves we've had in the past. Heathens fans of old are scarred for life after watching some of them try to get around. :lol:

hope we go after or get nathan stoneman and that bigred info is incorrect

Nathan Stoneman likes Dudley Heathens and his two favourite teams are Dudley Heathens and Eastbourne Eagles. Personally I don't think he's ready for the EL yet so... :lol::P

"EXPECT" Wow......Typical british write the young ones off before they get going.I,ve seen both these kids and i would say they both have a bright future in the sport(if given the chance to learn),after all isn't that what this league is about????hopefully one day soon you'll be cheering for them.ps if my info is correct your second expectation is correct.good luck dan.

bigred - please tell me who I have written off??? Please dont accuse me of writing any young British rider off because believe me, you couldnt be more wrong. There is nobody prouder than me of any NL rioder who makes in into the PL/EL which ever team they ride for. And furthermore, how can you accuse me of writing British youngsters off by saying I expect Dan Greenwood to be our no 7. Oh yeah - I forgot, he's well "over the hill" isn't he?

Not necessarily. The points limit is below the average number of points scored in a meeting. The team could improve its average and still be crap.

Apologies - I didnt explain myself very well. All I meant was that if each of our riders can substantially increase their average, I see this as the key to being a successful 2012 team, and I think that we already have the riders to be able to do that (if we sign Ash & Tom).

My prefrence would be to see Dan Greenwood given a chance, but having said that none of whom i had hoped to see sign has materialised, so maybe Dan will be 3rd time lucky, whoever it may be,good luck to them..

Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...