British Speedway Forum

Gp Qualifier Berwick 16/6

Might be a race against time for Tai Woffinden if he`s to make Berwick,after breaking his scaphoid.

Tai has expressed a real desire to return to the GP circuit (as per his comments on TV last weekend) so it would be expected he will make every effort to ride at Berwick. It is a big track (and now smooth, too) which might not strain his wrist so much.

He also doesn't have to win the meeting -- like at a GP, eight or nine point will see him through.

If he can't make it, presumably Neil Middleditch will nominate Olly Allen or Danny King to step up, and find another reserve rider.

Tai has expressed a real desire to return to the GP circuit (as per his comments on TV last weekend) so it would be expected he will make every effort to ride at Berwick. It is a big track (and now smooth, too) which might not strain his wrist so much.

He also doesn't have to win the meeting -- like at a GP, eight or nine point will see him through.

If he can't make it, presumably Neil Middleditch will nominate Olly Allen or Danny King to step up, and find another reserve rider.

Tai Woffinden has posted on Twitter there he might be out for as much as 12 weeks,making it very unlikely we will be seeing him at Berwick.

Tai Woffinden has posted on Twitter there he might be out for as much as 12 weeks,making it very unlikely we will be seeing him at Berwick.

Tai wouldn't be the first rider to ride in a World Chamionship meeting with a broken bone. Drug up, have a few injections and score 8 or 9 from 3 or 4 rides and then go home to suffer the next day. If he really wants a GP place it's not impossible.

update

The field for the GP Challenge qualification event on June 16th – now just three short weeks away, is becoming an intriguing mixture of established world-class names and almost-unknown quantities!

The Danish representative will be 24-year-old Kenneth Kruse Hansen, who most-recently raced in the UK for Wolverhampton Wolves.

Poland are sending Krysztof Buczkowski, who raced in the Elite League last year with Peterborough Panthers and Henry van der Steen has been nominated to represent The Netherlands.

A late change has seen the Russian Federation withdrawing their rider (are they still at war with Berwick?) and the FIM extending that invitation to Italy instead.

Their rider will be former Bandit Gino Franchetti, thus giving local fans two former Bandits to cheer for – Tero Aarnio being the Finnish representative.

Only the two representatives of the USA have now still to be announced.

Previously nominated by their nations are Chris Harris and Tai Woffinden (UK), Davey Watt and Sam Masters (Australia, Christian Hefenbrock (Germany), Facundo Albin and Emiliano Sanchez (Argentina), Linus Sundstrom (Sweden) and Matej Kus from the Czech Republic.

AFTER THE BIG NIGHT: As the meeting is about as close to midsummer as you can get, this will be a long, light night. After racing, a Ceilidh will be staged in the Black & Gold to welcome the international visitors. Tickets will be on sale on Saturday in the Track Shop for just £6 – while they last! All money raised will be presented to the club’s Fence Fund.

Please take note that admission to the entire Black and Gold hostelry will be by ticket only. The club has booked out both the bar and function suite.

New Holland Agriculture are to be the event’s main sponsors, which yet another example of how this particular event has caught major companies’ attention – a very big international organisation backing a very big international event.

A number of other sponsorship and hospitality prospects are naturally disappearing like the hottest of hotcakes – to enquire about any remaining heat, rider or further VIP packages, contact Julie Newton

Announced at Berwick last night that Ryan Fisher & Kenny Ingalls will be the 2 riders from the USA,also that Berwicks Lee Complin will be one of the meeting reserves as one of Olly Allen or Danny King has been put forward to one of the other qualifiers.

While there were no specific figures announced,it was said last night that programme and admission prices will rise for this meeting,Berwick have little or no say in setting these prices,but IMO it would be very sad if the FIM or BSPA set daft admission prices and price people out of coming,the Berwick promotion have spend the money and put in the effort,they deserve a good crowd.

I would epect admision prices to be £20 for adults , with programme probably about £5

I'm happy to report that, asking the question last night. I was told they'll be less than that.

Berwick have absolutely no say in the matter, but BSPA will keep charges to "someting like" (I couldn't get a firm commitment) £18 and a £4 programme.

How does that match the ELRC/ Or Scottish Open?

I'm happy to report that, asking the question last night. I was told they'll be less than that.

Berwick have absolutely no say in the matter, but BSPA will keep charges to "someting like" (I couldn't get a firm commitment) £18 and a £4 programme.

How does that match the ELRC/ Or Scottish Open?

Im sure there`ll be something announced next week,or maybe put on the web-site before then,if its those prices is no to bad.As I said before it would be a nice return for Berwick if the place was packed out.

The line up for the meeting is superb IMO, some of the names are completely different, not the kind of people that you would normally see at a track like Berwick.

While this is an individual it doesn’t have the same “open meeting” feel to it when you always run the risk of riders turning up and losing interest half way through.

Every race will have something resting on it.

Been fortunate to get some real racers and entertainers, always quite liked Hansen, and Buczkowski is as mad as a box of frogs.

A race with Fisher, Hansen, Buczkowski and Master could be pretty mental.

Im sure there`ll be something announced next week,or maybe put on the web-site before then,if its those prices is no to bad.As I said before it would be a nice return for Berwick if the place was packed out.

Berwick get nothing from turnstile takings or programmes, etc. All to BSPA. But if it is packed out -- and why shouldn't it be, with a line-up as evenly-matched as this? -- the club will get the benefit of theit track shop, catering and bar proceeds going up. And the prospect of more big events in future.

I'm told there will be a small fee to watch the official practice, but this will pass directly to the Lee Richardson Fund. Nice touch.

• Like 1

Does the BSPA get anythin?? would assume it would be FIM. I could be wrong tho.

Suppose wot berwick get outta it would be payment for use of the track and no doubt a great sale in pies and pints :D

Who are the World Class stars, may I ask?

See you are on bleating again! You should be happy that your team has been chosen for the only Qualifier in GB. There are 4 or 5 all together in Europe so each track is never going to get all top riders but the Polish lad and Sundstrom are a bit special having seen plenty of them. Like I said on the club forum Berwick fans (not all) must be the biggest moaners ever to grace speedway. Go watch Newport poor souls.