British Speedway Forum

Speedway Gp In Tatters !

Yes indeed ignoring the wildcard at each round but once you're 'in' the GPs you have a 53.33333% chance of staying in from one year to the next as you merely have to finish in the top eight overall scorers.

True Bryn, but I don't know whether you can use the word "merely" to describe finishing in the top 8. It's a pretty big achievement to break into that rarefied company and there is a lot of very good riders who have failed to get into the top 8.

True Bryn, but I don't know whether you can use the word "merely" to describe finishing in the top 8. It's a pretty big achievement to break into that rarefied company and there is a lot of very good riders who have failed to get into the top 8.

Fair comment but the point I'm trying to put forward is that once a rider is "in" the GP system it's easier for him to stay in it than it is for a rider outside the system to try and get into it in the first place! And why ARE four riders (over 25%) chosen to take part in what is a 15 rider world championship?

Let me make it absolutely clear I'm all for the World title to be decided over more than one meeting but deciding same over dozen meetings (as I believe is the case in 2012) is far too many to my way of thinking.

Fair comment but the point I'm trying to put forward is that once a rider is "in" the GP system it's easier for him to stay in it than it is for a rider outside the system to try and get into it in the first place! And why ARE four riders (over 25%) chosen to take part in what is a 15 rider world championship?

Let me make it absolutely clear I'm all for the World title to be decided over more than one meeting but deciding same over dozen meetings (as I believe is the case in 2012) is far too many to my way of thinking.

Point taken. Unfortunately, the nomination process appears to be a necessary evil given the commercial interests that have taken over the competition. I personally would like to see the back of the nominations and a return to the old style GP challenge with the bottom 7 taking the track against 9 qualifiers.

Why do you think 12 GP's is too many? Because of the effect such a programme has on our domestic calendar?

Why do you think 12 GP's is too many? Because of the effect such a programme has on our domestic calendar?

Quite aside from that, it's just simply boring seeing the same 15 riders that many times. There's no variety, and the SGP lacks the extra dimensions of F1 and MotoGP to keep it interesting.

I make no secret though, that I find individual racing to be one-dimensional and that it should only be an adjunct to league racing.

Quite aside from that, it's just simply boring seeing the same 15 riders that many times. There's no variety, and the SGP lacks the extra dimensions of F1 and MotoGP to keep it interesting.

I make no secret though, that I find individual racing to be one-dimensional and that it should only be an adjunct to league racing.

Sorry ! Are you saying F1 is "interesting" ?

I disagree, doing the qualifiers is a far easier route into the GP's than trying to finish in the top eight.

If you need the second part explaining there really is no hope...

Of course only four of the riders are "chosen". The rest qualify.

Some riders get into the GP in the first place by being chosen though, some then actually carry on and qualify.

Chris Harris is of course an exception, he got a free pass in and with one exception has had a free pass every year

i'd like to see a rule where to qualify for the GP's riders have to ride in the 3 main leagues in the world. thus raising the profile of themselves and the GP series

I would like to see a rule which says that unless you actually try to qualify yourself you should not even be in contention for a free pass into the series

You don't have qualifying, pitstops, strategies, or 'celebrities' wandering up and down the pit lane. You certainly also don't have the backdrop of exotic locations in speedway... :rofl:

Yes, what speedway needs is a GP on a beach in St. Lucia, riders coming in after two laps to change tyres and Katie Price juggling her wangers at the camera. :D

One thing is for sure, it proves beyond doubt that Formula 1 is the dullest racing sport in the world.

My personal reservations with the system are:

A: There are too many GPs

and

B: I find it difficult to align myself with a 'Speedway World Championship' in which riders are chosen to take part rather than qualify to do so.

Greater minds than I though obviously think differently. :rolleyes:

I TOTALLY agree with you Bryn. :approve::approve:

Prestige. The fact the competitor can say he was the best that day. A small piece of history. Extra kudos. That smug feeling on a Sunday morning. Financial reward on the night and also for when approaching potential sponsors.

Hmm, a fairly small part of history really...! Though can imagine Martin Dugard might dine off it!!

My personal reservations with the system are:

A: There are too many GPs

and

B: I find it difficult to align myself with a 'Speedway World Championship' in which riders are chosen to take part rather than qualify to do so.

Greater minds than I though obviously think differently. :rolleyes:

Bryn: I think on this you have every right to be classified as a "greater mind" and I 100% agree with you!!! :approve:

I disagree, doing the qualifiers is a far easier route into the GP's than trying to finish in the top eight.

If you need the second part explaining there really is no hope...

You can't just make comments like this and expect to get away with it.

Bryn is 100% right in quoting the figures he does...: it's an absolute fact that it's significantly easier to have to finish in the top eight (and history shows finishing 9th. & 10th. is good enough too...) out of 15 than it is to negoiate rounds to grab three or four slots...

And what on earth you mean in your normal withering way, by your second comment I've no idea..

You can't just make comments like this and expect to get away with it.

Bryn is 100% right in quoting the figures he does...: it's an absolute fact that it's significantly easier to have to finish in the top eight (and history shows finishing 9th. & 10th. is good enough too...) out of 15 than it is to negoiate rounds to grab three or four slots...

And what on earth you mean in your normal withering way, by your second comment I've no idea..

Its easier to finish in the best 8 riders in the world than it is to get through qualifiers with next to no GP riders? :unsure: