British Speedway Forum

A Sad Anniversary For London Speedway

Parsloes 1928 nearly

I'm sorry to say that I have no time for London-based fans of our sport (including some VERY high-profile ones who post on this Forum :mad: ) who didn't bother attending Plough Lane in the '02-'05 CL period - especially if based on former club allegiences.

I live in East London and found there no problem whatsoever (sometimes by train, sometimes driving) getting across to Wimbledon and having the sport back in the capital was just FANTASTIC. Use it or lose it I say - though we should be clear actually Wimbledon Speedway did not close due to poor crowds nor indeed on high rent..

But Derek, can you really blame people brought up and having been spoilt on the likes of Ronnie Moore, Trevor Hedge, Tommy Jansson, Roger Johns, Todd Wiltshire and co from the previous BL & NL eras for not braving the worsening cross-capital traffic, for what was THIRD DIVISION standard racing with its inherent drawbacks (heaps of effort and enthusiasm - yes, but also lots of mistakes, falls, reruns, lengthy delays, etc)?

What promoters have to grasp is that whatever level you operate at, there must be an acceptable level of skill and entertainment worth watching to justify the time, trouble and cost of attending. That applies to any sport and every part of the entertainment business.

Totally agree with you there. 'London Lions' has a good ring to it, especially as it incorporates the famous Wembley team nickname, but that wasn't enough to keep speedway going at Hackney.

But actually in '96 the 'London Stadium' (sic) as the Wick was then known, went bust itself NOT the Speedway per se...

But Derek, can you really blame people brought up and having been spoilt on the likes of Ronnie Moore, Trevor Hedge, Tommy Jansson, Roger Johns, Todd Wiltshire and co from the previous BL & NL eras for not braving the worsening cross-capital traffic, for what was THIRD DIVISION standard racing with its inherent drawbacks (heaps of effort and enthusiasm - yes, but also lots of mistakes, falls, reruns, lengthy delays, etc)?

I think the shape of the last track had a lot to do with the standard of racing rather than the class of the riders. It looked incredibly awkward to ride - does anyone agree??

I think the shape of the last track had a lot to do with the standard of racing rather than the class of the riders. It looked incredibly awkward to ride - does anyone agree??

It was tricky but look at the riders who excelled on it: Buzz, James Wright, Rory Schlein, Chris Neath, Eddie Kennett, Lewis Bridger, Richard Hall, Ben Howe.. These were great stylists and true racers all of them...

Also some veterans proved it could be ridden: Malcolm Holloway, Rob Hollingworth, Jon Armstrong and of course Buzz is in that category too..

i walked around the track a few times prior to meetings and it was quite narrow and bumpy in places. when i used to watch buzz burrows race around there i'd think to myself he must be very brave or mad!. to be fair to the promotion at the time they had very limited access to the stadium to prepare the track especially after stock car meetings.

i walked around the track a few times prior to meetings and it was quite narrow and bumpy in places. when i used to watch buzz burrows race around there i'd think to myself he must be very brave or mad!. to be fair to the promotion at the time they had very limited access to the stadium to prepare the track especially after stock car meetings.

Yep - that's 'im!! :approve::wink:

• 4 months later...

Hello Im totally new to the forum, but not new to Speedway but I read this section and this topic with interest.

My hope is that one of the Olympic stadium sites could be used as a venue for London Speedway. After all as London residents who have paid for these stadiums to be built in part I think we have a case to put. In these days of Sky Sports coverage I don't think finding a sponsor would be a major problem.

Failing that there are surely venues that could be adapted to house speedway tracks as part of their set up. I think extra revenue at some venues would generate interest. It's not impossible I don't think.

• 1 month later...

How sad to read all this topic about no more speedway in London. It is very disheartening.

And at the moment hopes of the sport's return to the capital look remote. To a small extent Lakeside and Rye House get some recognition as London tracks because they are a reasonable distanc from the capital. You can actually travel to Rye House on a direct line from Liverpool Street. Lakeside is a difficult place to reach by public transport - but it's not impossible.

I can remember all too well a golden period in 1949 when you were spoiied for choice with -

MONDAY - Wimbledon or Walthamstow

Tuesday - West Ham

Wednesday - New Cross

Thursday - Wembley

Friday - Harringay

Saturday - free night

Sunday - late afternoons Rye House

Golden days indeed for the sport in the capital. But that was 62 years ago.

MONDAY - Wimbledon or Walthamstow

Tuesday - West Ham

Wednesday - New Cross

Thursday - Wembley

Friday - Harringay

Saturday - free night

Sunday - late afternoons Rye House

Golden days indeed for the sport in the capital. But that was 62 years ago.

My mum started going to Plough Lane in 1950, and she used to tell me about doing the five-nights-a-week speedway, plus frequent trips out of town on a Saturday. Living in Carshalton, even Aldershot and California were pretty local. Still, even in the 80's, I was doing Crayford, Wimbledon, Hackney, and Rye on a fairly regular basis.

Steve

My mum started going to Plough Lane in 1950, and she used to tell me about doing the five-nights-a-week speedway, plus frequent trips out of town on a Saturday. Living in Carshalton, even Aldershot and California were pretty local. Still, even in the 80's, I was doing Crayford, Wimbledon, Hackney, and Rye on a fairly regular basis.

Steve

Ha....i worked in Mill Lane,Carshalton for a few years....And also used to do White City,Wimbledon,Hackney and Rye or Eastbourne and then came Arena Essex

I think you can forget about London ever staging Speedway again. The Olympic stadium would be a complete non starter except for a Grand Prix. Can you imagine how much the rental would be and what the gate would be. You would probably get 10,000 for an opening night that would quickly slip back to perhaps a maximum of 2,500. or even less.

Due to the cost of petrol we are using our car a lot less than we used to do. .With the ever more channels on TV channel, the internet or the ever growing cost of fuel all conspire to stop people going to Speedway.

Now we have another big enemy to Speedway at the moment, ,the wet weather. Nearly all the promoters and riders are not earning any money. With no improvement in the weather still, how much longer can it be before a speedway club folds.

Speedway has a very bleak future. How much money was lost on the NZ GP .It must have been a fortune. Last week European GP at Leszno was very noticable for the empty spaces in the crowd . So it looks like Speedway if losing it's popularity there. In Sweden you have Gothenberg with a population of nearly 500,000 and a terrific stadium at Ullevi who holds 38,000, yet they cannot make a profit with Speedway.

It looks like the Cardiff GP will certainly have less punters there this year following the Olympics. Not a very good future unfortuneatly

I think you can forget about London ever staging Speedway again. The Olympic stadium would be a complete non starter except for a Grand Prix. Can you imagine how much the rental would be and what the gate would be. You would probably get 10,000 for an opening night that would quickly slip back to perhaps a maximum of 2,500. or even less.

Due to the cost of petrol we are using our car a lot less than we used to do. .With the ever more channels on TV channel, the internet or the ever growing cost of fuel all conspire to stop people going to Speedway.

Now we have another big enemy to Speedway at the moment, ,the wet weather. Nearly all the promoters and riders are not earning any money. With no improvement in the weather still, how much longer can it be before a speedway club folds.

Speedway has a very bleak future. How much money was lost on the NZ GP .It must have been a fortune. Last week European GP at Leszno was very noticable for the empty spaces in the crowd . So it looks like Speedway if losing it's popularity there. In Sweden you have Gothenberg with a population of nearly 500,000 and a terrific stadium at Ullevi who holds 38,000, yet they cannot make a profit with Speedway.

It looks like the Cardiff GP will certainly have less punters there this year following the Olympics. Not a very good future unfortuneatly

That's a sad observation but an excellent comment in regard to the sport and its chances of a London rebirth, plus a sound summary of the sport in general worldwide. Hard facts but they need to be made clear if there is to be a long term future for the sport.

Edited by speedyguy

Some fair points - but I can't really see why the Olympics would mean a reduction in the crowd at the SGP in Cardiff..?

Some fair points - but I can't really see why the Olympics would mean a reduction in the crowd at the SGP in Cardiff..?

From what i hear, that London is so hard to get to.So i am pressuming that some people who go to the Olympics won't be able to get there and back to Cardiff in time?That is a total guess though as i don't know when either is on....

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

With 9.5 millions seats available for the Olympics and 20 million applications already in that is going to take an awful lot of money out of the economy and with the Cardiff 13 days after the Olympics finish it is sure to affect the GP gate. As attendances are down nearly everwhere that will be another reason the gate will be down as well. Then there is the increase in petrol prices and people not using their car as much. a

Interesting to see your reason for the an increase as you do not think their will be a reduction.

With 9.5 millions seats available for the Olympics and 20 million applications already in that is going to take an awful lot of money out of the economy and with the Cardiff 13 days after the Olympics finish it is sure to affect the GP gate. As attendances are down nearly everwhere that will be another reason the gate will be down as well. Then there is the increase in petrol prices and people not using their car as much. a

Interesting to see your reason for the an increase as you do not think their will be a reduction.

Your analysis seems bonkers to me. Cardiff has held a pretty steady attendance of 45,000 every year since it launched in 2001. Although we have been in economic difficult times since 2008, it hasn't been enough to put people off going to Cardiff. We haven't gone Greek after all.

I don't really follow why you think the Olympics will have a big impact on Cardiff. The Olympics will be done and dusted by then and I can't imagine all speedway fans blowing all their money on the badminton and synchronised swimming. It is an entirely different market of people. You might as well argue that Cardiff will suffer because of its clash with the Edinburgh Festival.

Edited by falcace
  • Like 1