British Speedway Forum

Best Last-heat Deciders

TonyMac

If 'Happiness really is 40-38', what were the best-ever last-race deciders in team meetings over the years?

Not run-offs, but heat 13s, when the match was decided with a last gasp 5-1, 4-2 or even a 3-3?

At Hackney, who could forget Thommo going round both Mauger/Autrey against Exeter to win the last heat of a BL crunch match in ’77? Didn't that hand the title to White City?

Some of those Mildenhall/Rye House battles in 1979 were classics, too.

No doubt there were some equally memorable and titanic last-heat deciders in matches involves the arch rivals in the Midlands/North/West/East & Scotland...Ipswich/Lynn; Glasgow/Edinburgh; Cradley/Wolves/Cov/Leicester; Peterborough/Mildenhall; Halifax/Sheffield; Berwick/Newcastle; Swindon/Exeter, etc, etc....

If 'Happiness really is 40-38', what were the best-ever last-race deciders in team meetings over the years?

Not run-offs, but heat 13s, when the match was decided with a last gasp 5-1, 4-2 or even a 3-3?

Have to say my favourite meeting of all time was when my team (Sheffield) went into the last heat of a meeting at Hyde Road in '82 leading 37-35. Needless to say PC and Mort. did the deed and got a 5-1. Great meeting. Great race. Lousy result. You remember it Falcace ?

Edited by WATigerman

It is a hazy memory but I remember at Bradford sometime in the late 80's a heat 15 with the scores tied at 42-42 against Coventry.

Coventry had Knudsen and Tatum in and Bradford had Havelock (and someone else I can't remember)! Coventry were in a 5-1 all the way and team riding side by side, on the last bend Havvy went miles wide on the big open space at Odsal. It looked like he'd really blown it but he straightened up and took them both on the run in. A 45-45 result but it felt like a win as we weren't the best team at the time and really looked like losing the match all the way through.

I remember Ermolenko doing something similar as a guest for Coventry to win a match for them but have wiped this from my memory!!!

Guest Rod King

It has to be Edinburgh Monarchs vs Sheffield in the 1980s in an inter-league cup round at Powderhall - Edinburgh were in the lower division.

It was decided on the fourth bend of the fourth lap of the last heat when Neil Collins rounded one of the Moran brothers to win by the width of the tread on his front wheel and thereby win the tie.

I have NEVER experienced an atmosphere like it since! (Now there's a surprising story for you Midnight Lady! And from a Glasgow supporter too!)

Edited by Rod King

Having only went for 7 years i can only say from the time i have went but for some one who hates Armadale 2 of the best races i have see where there one featuring Berwick which saw Les Collins and Kenny Mckinna against Scott Lamb and Kevin Little and another was a final of the scottish open with Carls Stonehewar James Grieves and i cant remember the other 2. And from last year Workington v Trellawnay Stoney and Stead against Ondrasikn and Bomber. Workington needed a 4-2 to win Stonehewar leading from Harris Ondrasik third stead last Stead passed Ondrasik the place went crazy whils at the same time Harris was rounding Stonehewar total class. CHRIS HARRIS IS A LEGEND.

Guest Rod King
(Now there's a surprising story for you Midnight Lady! And from a Glasgow supporter too!)

What is the world coming to :P:wink:

Absolutely tremendous atmosphere and I think it was in '81.

You've a better memory than me when you can remember the year! I was in the stand just in front of the start/finish line (old stand, old start/finish line) and might even have grabbed the random person next to me. But that was in a different life!

I only went to Meadowbank once. Scotland vs Poland in the late 1960s - nearly got hit by a flying bike that took a lump out of the "boards" that I had been leaning on. Now that's close up speedway! I liked Powderhall as a venue - good track, good sight lines. I really don't think Armadale compares in the same way that I don't think that Shawfield compares favourably to Ashfield.

Have to say my favourite meeting of all time was when my team (Sheffield) went into the last heat of a meeting at Hyde Road in '82 leading 37-35. Needless to say PC and Mort. did the deed and got a 5-1. Great meeting. Great race. Lousy result. You remember it Falcace ?

As soon as I saw the thread I thought of it. B):D

Great meeting. As I recall, PC and Mort came from the back against Shawn Moran and Reg Wilson in heat 13 - classic stuff. Also remember young Wayne Brown (RIP) having a storming match for the Tigers.

Also - one for the Falcons fans - 1989 KO Cup v Berwick 2nd leg, Steve Regeling and Frank Andersen get a last heat 5-1 to make it 90-90 on aggregate and force a replay. Another belter of a match. :D

1966. Almost thev last two matches of the season. Monday night at Exeter. A brilliant win by Eric Boothroyd to win the match for Halifax, 38 40. *(I think he beat Tommy Sweetman who at that time was pretty handy round the County Ground.) The following night, Tuesday, the Dukes travelled to West Ham. Once again, it was a brilliant win for the veteran Boothroyd over, of all people, the late, great Ken McKinlay.

These two brilliant performances finally clinched the league title for the Halifax side. I think Eric is still alive and well, and living in his native Halifax. A tough, no-nonsense rider, and a really nice bloke.

Great meeting. As I recall, PC and Mort came from the back against Shawn Moran and Reg Wilson in heat 13 - classic stuff. Also remember young Wayne Brown (RIP) having a storming match for the Tigers.

Yes Wayne Brown did have a storming match and finished the season in excellent style. I thought he was going to hit the big time in '83, but alas he never returned from NZ and his talents were lost to English speedway forever. We did have the excellent David Bargh though.....................

Edited by WATigerman

Yes Wayne Brown did have a storming match and finished the season in excellent style. I thought he was going to hit the big time in '83, but alas he never returned from NZ and his talents were lost to English speedway forever. We did have the excellent David Bargh though.....................

Cracking rider was Wayne Brown - could have made it big I thought. Dave Bargh was also a good lad, he always gave a good show wherever I saw him ride. I'm sure Belle Vue owned him at one stage, but could never fit him in and he moved on.

Anyhoo, another fine finale has come to mind. 1983 Premiership, first leg Aces win 42-36 at Cradley, so its a forgeone conclusion right?! Wrong. In the second leg, the Cabbage Patch kids are all over us and are 40-32 head going into heat 13.

No Chris Morton though, he's scored 15 riding from no.4. So a very subdued Larry Ross and PC line up against Gundersen and King. Nerves-of-steel Ross jumps from the gate, PC scraps his way past the Heathens and the Aces win on aggregate by the skin of their teeth. Phew! :rolleyes:B)

The one I always remember at Wimbledon would be the KO Cup 2nd Round match against Mildenhall in 1988.

Trailling 37-59 from the first leg at West Row it was left to a last heat 5-1 by Todd Wiltshire and Kevin Jolly to tie the aggregate score at 96-96, of course we went on to win the replay and reach the Final........but we didn't win it! :(

London Cup at Plough Lane 1989 Wimbledon 47 Hackney 43. Neville Tatum falls and gets excluded. In the Re-Run Andy Galvin gives Todd Wiltshire a nudge and Todd lays the bike down expecting Galvini to get excluded. The ref may have been Mr Ebdon cant remember excludes Todd and Galvin and Tagg cruise round for a 5-0 and the Kestrels win 48-47 :D:D

Cov v CH early eighties, heat 13 scores all square, Tommy Knudsen gated ahead of Penhall & stayed there, Gary Gugliemi forced his way past Alan Grahame on the back straight to take 3rd place & the match.

Entire Bees team on the track, memorable photo of Olsen, Nikolijasen & Miller in a group hug in front of the main stand which was packed to the rafters.

Happy Days indeed :)

Cov v CH early eighties, heat 13 scores all square, Tommy Knudsen gated ahead of Penhall & stayed there, Gary Gugliemi forced his way past Alan Grahame on the back straight to take 3rd place & the match.

Entire Bees team on the track, memorable photo of Olsen, Nikolijasen & Miller in a group hug in front of the main stand which was packed to the rafters.

Happy Days indeed :)

sounds like a Grateful Dead concert back in the 70's to me.. :neutral:

most memorable last heat decider.. hmm

Tony mac.. i cannot believe you didn't mention Halifax v Hackney.. summer 1980( i think) at the Shay.. Zenon Plech giving the Hawks a 39-38 away win after being 16 points down at one point!!!

i was only 9 at the time, and can remember Thommo, Chalky and i think Sean Willmott (my hero!) all scoring nil for the meeting, and Zenon needed a second in heat 13 to clinch victory... and celebrating with Zenon and sean in the pits with the travelling army of Hawks fans afterwards was magic!

The best last-heat decider for me was in 1993 - Wolverhampton v Belle Vue. We needed a 3-3 at least, in the last race of the season, to win the Division One championship and Bobby Ott won the race. :)

That has got to be THE best race I have EVER experienced!

Ive got the video and I still panic every time I watch Jason Lyons going from 2nd to the back and willing Bobby Ott(GOD) to stay ahead of PK+Gustaffson!