British Speedway Forum

Plymouth 2012

Good move for Plymouth Great top two with support from Gatercole they are for me a top team in waiting if they make two changes the first has arrived and one more arrival and the team will start winning away no doubt about it. Unlucky at Ipswich and even without Fisher were a handfull at Rye. Nice to see them at last get down to being a serious team. Fair play to Bowden

So your happy with the way James Holder is riding, in the local rag Mike Bowden say's that there could be more change's, so Bowden isn't happy with someone else. and i think that could be James, you can only go by what a rider does on the track, you may think people are being very harsh, but i feel he should be doing better.

James has been riding in the PL now for 5 seasons (mainly as a reserve) and has never averaged in excess of 4.70 over the course of a season. In that time his home track has pretty much always been either a big track (IOW) or a power track (Somerset), I appreciate he had spells at Stoke and Newport too.

This season he started on 4.44 and has dropped to 4.30, not a huge drop in my opinion although I accept with rolling averages as they are he is probably averaging around 4.2 for this season on it's own. But with that in mind I'm staggered why anyone would think James should be doing better. He's at a new track that is totally different to a home track he's had before and he's riding in the main body when he is in truth a reserve standard rider.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying James shouldn't be in the firing line in any way, nor am I saying he shouldn't be replaced if someone genuinely better comes along. But to say he should be doing better when all the facts say he's pretty much on a par with what he's done over the last 5 seasons is harsh.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying James shouldn't be in the firing line in any way, nor am I saying he shouldn't be replaced if someone genuinely better comes along. But to say he should be doing better when all the facts say he's pretty much on a par with what he's done over the last 5 seasons is harsh.

Agree. People seem to think he should be a PL superstar because of his surname.

If this quote is true;

James has been riding in the PL now for 5 seasons (mainly as a reserve) and has never averaged in excess of 4.70 over the course of a season.

Then i'd say people don't expect him to be a superstar, just to be remotely decent, which lets be fair he has never shown. If he wasn't Australian and called Holder then how many seasons would he have lasted?

You would think that the Holder brothers were the only brothers to ever ride Speedway in this Country, look around, i'm not saying James Holder should be like his brother, your the one bringing that into it, it's helped him i think, because he would be gone by now if he wasn't called Holder, and for Bowden to even think to put a rider on that CMA into the main body of the team at number 4 shows what he knows about putting together a Speedway team, the lad is a reserve in the PL, do not matter who her brother is, that don't come into it, but thats where he should be.

I think by not being at reserve will cost him is place, the same way it cost James Cockle, and we can only blame one person for that, not the two lads, because before the season even started everyone knew they were no better than PL reserves, the only person who didn't know that was Mike Bowden, and he is paying the price for that now.

Edited by Devildodger

I hope I'm wrong, as I think Ksiezak (or even you if that is you Rob) used to average over 6 in the PL and I'm hoping he can do that again. Best of luck, what's for sure is the Plymouth crowd will take him to their hearts! :D

Ksiezak's good season was mainly due to Shane Parker nursing him round Ashfield most weeks.

Ksiezak's good season was mainly due to Shane Parker nursing him round Ashfield most weeks.

Ksiezak was he once connected to Poole ? when he was young and on the up but then got a very bad injury later on maybe in Australia.? A decent gater i think he will do ok,really you cant afford to carry Holder,Gino, and Cockle but in two of those cases they are only pl reserves so its not there fault Glanz has done ok at reserve again he is not yet a top 5 rider.

And the rule in 2006 that reserves stayed as reserves all year. His performance and that of Kauko Nieminen helped Glasgow achieve their highest PL placing to that point.

Edited by MD

Ksiezak was he once connected to Poole ? when he was young and on the up but then got a very bad injury later on maybe in Australia.? A decent gater i think he will do ok,really you cant afford to carry Holder,Gino, and Cockle but in two of those cases they are only pl reserves so its not there fault Glanz has done ok at reserve again he is not yet a top 5 rider.

No he started over here with Edinburgh then went to Glasgow.

Got a broken leg in 2005 when with Edinburgh and a serious knee injury in early 2010 that keep him out for almost 2 years. If he can gate on the small track that Plymouth is he should be fine. Bowden says he is looking for a couple of points a match and even in his poorest ones for Glasgow, Robert was still getting that. Maybe a fresh venue is just what he needs.

Rode his first season at Edinburgh ,in 2005 , where he broke a leg while riding for the Monarchs at Newcastle . Moved to Glasgow the following season where he spent the season at reserve ( the year when it was the A , B and C graded reserves) . He doubled up the following season at Belle Vue . He moved to Birmingham in 2009 where his form dipped , he lost his place there and moved to Stoke - without much success there either .

Rejoined Glasgow in 2010 , but suffered a horrific crash at Berwick early on in that campaign . Sat out 2011 , before coming back to ride for the Tigers again this year . Was dropped a couple of weeks ago after struggling to make any impact at reserve .

Edited by Paulco

Got a broken leg in 2005 when with Edinburgh and a serious knee injury in early 2010 that keep him out for almost 2 years. If he can gate on the small track that Plymouth is he should be fine. Bowden says he is looking for a couple of points a match and even in his poorest ones for Glasgow, Robert was still getting that. Maybe a fresh venue is just what he needs.

Sorry i knew he was out for a while must of been a bad knee injury thats why i thought it was in Australia.Hope he does well because i think he has ability.

• 1 month later...

A very poor display by three riders on friday scoring 8 points from 16 rides against Ipswich, when 2 riders get 31 points and you lose the meeting, people will say that Plymouth were without Barker and Fisher, but the fact is 3 riders 8 points 16 rides, i can't see that Mike Bowden will be happy with that. can he ?.