British Speedway Forum

Plymouth 2012

Sorry abit late with this but what is happening with Plymouth ??? have they got 7 riders yet & if so who are they

In summary we have 7 riders named according to local press releases however they are yet to appear on the BSPA site, I'll let you suggest why that might be but the general consensus from the Plymouth fans is that Mr Bowden is either on holiday or simply can't be bothered to send the paperwork in. Anyway the 7 named are...Barker, Holder, Boxall, Werner, Ashworth, Cockle, Glanz. Oh and along with that we've had enough drama to fill a year's worth of Corrie!

In summary we have 7 riders named according to local press releases however they are yet to appear on the BSPA site, I'll let you suggest why that might be but the general consensus from the Plymouth fans is that Mr Bowden is either on holiday or simply can't be bothered to send the paperwork in. Anyway the 7 named are...Barker, Holder, Boxall, Werner, Ashworth, Cockle, Glanz. Oh and along with that we've had enough drama to fill a year's worth of Corrie!

One thing about Plymouth is that there is never a dull moment - I have regaled fans as far away as Redcar and Newcastle with the happenings at SBA.

It must be said that if Mr Bowden does leave things won't be quite so entertaining, even if that is not always for the right reasons.

The complete Devils line up is finaly on the BSPA Site.

All teams now officially confirmed.

I think that you have jumped the gun Simmo

I believe that Newport are still awaiting their team to be confirmed by the Gods that reside at Rugby

I think that you have jumped the gun Simmo

I believe that Newport are still awaiting their team to be confirmed by the Gods that reside at Rugby

I too have heard the same thing and believe it to be true,but the BSPA website has asterisks against Werner and Tom Armstrong stating these averages are awaiting confirmation,but no asterisks against **** ***** of Newport,so if the strange ways of BSPA are to believed,then there is no problem with the Wasps team?? Watch this space,for more indecision from the dictators of Rugby

• Like 1

Is Bowden putting together these poor teams together purposely? minimal points scoring and relying on the big crowds at the SBA. Plymouth is one of the very fewv enues left in the UK wkere Speedway is still very well attended. Hopefully he sells, his buisness intrest is not to make Plymouth Speedway a professional club but to line his own fat pocket.

On the bright Barker Ashworth and hopefully will carry the fight, unsure about the other 4 (personally)

I too have heard the same thing and believe it to be true,but the BSPA website has asterisks against Werner and Tom Armstrong stating these averages are awaiting confirmation,but no asterisks against **** ***** of Newport,so if the strange ways of BSPA are to believed,then there is no problem with the Wasps team?? Watch this space,for more indecision from the dictators of Rugby

I think with ref to Tom Armstrong it was they didnt know if he had patrality,which he for sure hasnt,so is a 5 average

What was the problem with Newports team,??

Is Bowden putting together these poor teams together purposely? minimal points scoring and relying on the big crowds at the SBA. Plymouth is one of the very fewv enues left in the UK wkere Speedway is still very well attended. Hopefully he sells, his buisness intrest is not to make Plymouth Speedway a professional club but to line his own fat pocket.

On the bright Barker Ashworth and hopefully will carry the fight, unsure about the other 4 (personally)

In the Speedway Star (21 Jan) Bowden says he is not making money - quote: "Other local professional sports teams have found that finance and attracting spectators seems to be a big problem in Plymouth and I, for one, am no longer prepared to pay to go to work. Setting up a speedway team has personally cost me a lot of money, so I hope that soemone comes forward either to take over or to help out. Then my life can return to a sense of normality, instead of putting in 80 hours a week to provide entertaiment for little reward."

In the Speedway Star (21 Jan) Bowden says he is not making money - quote: "Other local professional sports teams have found that finance and attracting spectators seems to be a big problem in Plymouth and I, for one, am no longer prepared to pay to go to work. Setting up a speedway team has personally cost me a lot of money, so I hope that soemone comes forward either to take over or to help out. Then my life can return to a sense of normality, instead of putting in 80 hours a week to provide entertaiment for little reward."

Your quite right he did say that, he was also talking a load of balony!

Struggling? with an average gate of 1.5k-2k give me a break? If he is losing money with those sort of numbers through the turnstiles, how much are "properly run" Speedway clubs losing? I have found a few things that have been printed in the Star untrue and I wouldn't trust a word Bowden says. He said at the final meeting vs Edinburgh, "We will be back bigger better and stronger next year" and are they? which one is it Mike?

Edited by RobinH88

I can't see how bowden struggles at all with his gates, if anything he makes a healthy profit each and every meeting.

If say a gate had 1000 supporters coming through ( and we know there are often many more) and that gate was divided up thus:

200 pensioners/students @ £9 = £1800

200 under 16( and over 8) @ £5= 1000

600 adults @ £12= 7200

500 programmes @ £2= £1000

total= £11,000

He also makes money from the bar ( open till 10.30) and sales from the shop and 50/50 raffle. Also rent from the burger van. Say another £500

from this he pays rent: ???

Ambulance etc £800

if the team regularly won 49-41 and he paid each rider for example £40 per point ( this is an average not an accurate figure) that would come to £1960

Take this as an average over a season - 16 meeting home and 16 away (away points monies come from home meetings gates.)

He takes in £176000 and pays out £70,560 points money from gate money.

He pays £12, 800 ambulance /medical cover.

??? rent and also has the money from programme sales/shop/ bar etc, I still see him making a good £70,000 profit.

I may be well off mark here but gates are often higher and points scored much lower. It doesn't take a genius to owrk out he is on to a good little earner.

I can't see how bowden struggles at all with his gates, if anything he makes a healthy profit each and every meeting.

If say a gate had 1000 supporters coming through ( and we know there are often many more) and that gate was divided up thus:

600 adults @ £12= 7200

total= £11,000

He also makes money from the bar ( open till 10.30) and sales from the shop and 50/50 raffle. Also rent from the burger van. Say another £500

Ambulance etc £800

if the team regularly won 49-41 and he paid each rider for example £40 per point ( this is an average not an accurate figure) that would come to £1960

Take this as an average over a season - 16 meeting home and 16 away (away points monies come from home meetings gates.)

??? rent and also has the money from programme sales/shop/ bar etc, I still see him making a good £70,000 profit.

I may be well off mark here but gates are often higher and points scored much lower. It doesn't take a genius to owrk out he is on to a good little earner.

Whilst we all know the likes of Barker will be on more than £40 a point, I think your breakdown is pretty close. Add to that he has a couple sponsors on board also and I know his rent isn't that expensive. This is why Devils fans like myself have been infuriated with the various press releases and comments from Mr Bowden. He thinks we are all stupid yet it isn't rocket science to see that he makes a decent profit each year!

MikeyT - Bowden probably makes substansially more than i have guesstimated as he appears to have had 3 holidays in the past few weeks!!

His remarks of working 80 hours a week 52 weeks a year are a total fabrication. He isn't there during the off season, or very little ( Nov/end Feb) as there is nothing to do. Other promoters have jobs outside of speedway and often only have access to the track on race days or have to work around other activities at the venue.

Why can't he make his phone calls from home?? Every other promoter would do rather than sit in a dingy hut in the rain/cold.

I'm pretty sure from what I've heard it's mainly voluntary helpers who do the track and help around the stadium regarding building/maintenance etc.

His remarks are turning fans away in droves I'm sure. A fair few people I have spoken to say they won't be going to the SBA due to antics of the past two seasons and the poor facilities. It's a shame for the folk of Plymouth.

Mike Bowdens only business interest is Plymouth speedway so I've been told!

I've also been told that hes makes a good living out of it and has said to many he'll stop when that stops being the case!

I respect Mike Bowden for reopening Plymouth speedway, a place where I never thought we'd see speedway again. But how things are going if he stays, keeps on with his very poor PR skills and keeps putting out weak teams, we'll end up with another Newport speedway/Tim Stone scanario where he drags the club right to the bottom with no one going to watch, help out or sponsor!

Putting our a weak team last season in your 1st season of PL racing combined with the late admittance to the League is understandable but this season its not. No disrespect to Brent Werner but hes retired a couple of times in the past now due to losing his desire to race and now in his late 30's that is not going to come back.

Its seems obvious from a distance that Mike Bowden needs to sell Plymouth speedway to more proactive promotors!

I think with ref to Tom Armstrong it was they didnt know if he had patrality,which he for sure hasnt,so is a 5 average

What was the problem with Newports team,??

patrality only counts with riders who were active in the conference league and had dual nationality status,due to their patrality,Newport Hornets had 2 last year,Todd Kurtz and Jay Herne,both of which were due a reduction for their British patrality,but apparently riding in the Australian championships and nailing your colours to the mast has upset the powers that be,can't see it myself,if you have,dual patrality,you have dual patrality,there are many instances of sportsman competing for different nationalities as the occasion suits

I still see him making a good £70,000 profit.

I don't think you are - in fact I think that is a very good guess indeed.

It certainly comes close (taking in higher PL pay rates) to what I heard he made during the first few seasons.

As Mikeyt says, its complete nonsense to suggest he is losing money. Nobody believes a word he says, anyway.

600 adults @ £12= 7200

total= £11,000

Ambulance etc £800

Hmm, i was very intereseted to read this post, Rent, water would come with the rent, who owns the stadium? Electricity, gets thrown in does it? Public liabillity insurance will be an arm and a leg. And id be very sure the top boys will be on more than £40 a point.not to mention postponements then theres kickboards shale is not cheap chicken wire, fence posts and sundries i assume they have smash ups from time to time. Good job theres no airfences and rubbers to maintain, that might come one day!. sponsorship, that doesn't come to you, fuel for the tractors maintanence of the tractors graders etc, Besides, i don't think if the side thats been muted is true thats not a bad little line up! now i don't know this Mike Bowden, but why don't you offer to buy him out, after all, you could make yourself a nice little earner!! :blink:

Edited by Starman2006

Plymouth actually look OK... Barker and Ashworth is a very decent top two, Glanz appears to be pretty handy around there, Boxall isnt a bad rider and if Werner still has his gating head on, he wont be as bad as expected around Plymouth although I expect him to be dreadful away.

There are a fair few worse teams in the PL... fact.

• Like 2

Hmm, i was very intereseted to read this post, Rent, water would come with the rent, who owns the stadium? Electricity, gets thrown in does it? Public liabillity insurance will be an arm and a leg. And id be very sure the top boys will be on more than £40 a point.not to mention postponements then theres kickboards shale is not cheap chicken wire, fence posts and sudries i assume they have smash ups from time to time. Good job theres no airfences and rubbers to maintain, that might come one day!. sponsorship, that doesn't come to you, fuel for the tractors maintanence of the tractors graders etc, Besides, i don't think if the side thats been muted is true thats not a bad little line up! now i don't know this Mike Bowden, but why don't you offer to buy him out, after all, you could make yourself a nice little earner!! :blink:

Starman2006. My pension won't cover the cost of buying him out sadly and I live in Dorset - so that's a long way to travel to work.

Added to that Mr Bowden insists he does an 80 hour week ;) my old bones just aren't up to that. He doesn't actually say what he does at the track 80 hours a week but looking at the place it can't be much! It does seem a nice little earner for someone but I suspect Bowden will be asking far more than the going rate for the licence.

Does anyone know of any other promoters who 'claim' to work so hard for their club? If you notice Plymouth are always the last to pass on any details to the BSPA regarding news updates and apparently Bowden does not have a computer! Just what does he do all week....I'm mystified.

I suspect most people on here havent got much of a clue - me included

Dont forget -

Programme artwork and printing costs

Rider signing fees

Rider traveling expenses

Business Rates??

Water rates for normal dwellings cost a fortune in the West Country - must be a lot for the track

Rained off meetings

And probably a lot more.

If this successful business is up for sale where are all the takers in the crowd??