British Speedway Forum

Plymouth 2012

Can't explain Werner on ability it's probably because he's cheap and I have no doubt he'll be at reserve after the first set of green sheets which is even more worrying! It's probably the strangest signing in the PL for a few years now, oh hang on we did sign Seemond last year!

As for Hart no thanks! If we had binned the Werner idea and gone with a heatleader instead of up to about 7.2 which was possible with the other six named we'd at least have a decent top end. As it is we have the weakest second strings in the league and two reserves who will have an incredible amount of unfair pressure on them.

For a Devils fan, stomaching cheap riders (and I think you are right on that) must be hard. A comparison with Newcastle suggests that they have gates that are twice as big and a rent that is about a quarter as much. They should have much bigger team budget, yet I got told that their top man earned 20% less per point than the Diamonds number one last season.

I think a team of Barker, Holder, Boxall, Hefenbrock, Ashworth, Glanz & Hart would fit. That's a very decent side indeed that would be extremely difficult to beat at SBA and be competitive away.

Barker speaks for himself. Holder and Ashworth should do OK. Boxall & Glanz are better than their averages. Cockle did well, but Hart is better. The real failing is the third heat leader, because Hefenbrock would be one and I doubt very much if Werner will be.

The thing is I sincerely believe that a team that looked like being up there at the start of the season would add another 500 on the gate at Plymouth.

Mr Bowden could learn the lesson that people will not continually turn up for second rate teams the hard way.

What ever happened to the lad, a few year's ago after watching him rip his way through the NL, then beating some very good rider's in the PL , you would have put money on him making it to the EL, i know his has an attitude, but that can't be the only reason he has failed to make the grade, the lad had everything going for him, now nobody want's him, not even his home town club, do you feel sorry for him, or what, after reading some of the post's on the site from people who know him, i don't think you can, but i hope he get's it together, because i would like to see him turn it around, you don't become a bad rider overnight, i think it's down to him now to prove people wrong.

Hart had a bad injury in 2010 and gave his word to Chris Louis that he was over it and fully fit to ride last season. Chris Louis has since revealed he wasn't and shouldn't have ridden last season at least the beginning of the season but he was so excited about the prospect of riding for Ipswich, he put his heart before his head.

Despite all his bravado, his confidence on track had been affected a little.

• Like 1

What ever happened to the lad, a few year's ago after watching him rip his way through the NL, then beating some very good rider's in the PL , you would have put money on him making it to the EL,

Read my post on page 15.

Good post mate. Jimmy is a good lad, but he also needs support and encouragement from both fans and management, the Somerset management looked after and encouraged jimmy well, as you know he was Captain of the Rebels. but If i had a fault with jimmy he's just that, to nice. Especially round Plymouth he's going to need to be a lot more aggresive out the starts, thats where i thought part of his problem at Somerset was. But he does have it in him.

But bear in mind he was carrying injuries at the back end of the season, you have a fit jimmy, im not going to say he will pull up big tree's, but he will do ok for you. But he needs allround support.

Jerran is suprising me, when he rode for our Buccaneer side at Poole i said give him 2 years and he'l be riding EL.

Jerrans a good rider, but i can't believe he's not doing better than he's showing.

I agree with you James Holder is one of the nicest guys around, and he knows he will never set the speedway world alight, but he is second to none as a team man.

Even last year when he was injured he was always there to help his team mates and try to encourage them to do better but if you could have seen the colour of his chest he looked more like an aborigine than anything else.

The one thing that goes against Jimmy is the fact that he is Chris Holders elder brother and everybody expects him to perform like Chris, even on the Plymouth web site Mike Bowden said that signing James was great because he is Chris Holders brother, even when he was interviewed at Somerset last season the first words where how Chris was doing at Poole or in the GP just forget who his brother is and allow James to be his own man this may take a little pressure off him and allow him to develop his own game.

Many years ago I spoke to Kym Mauger son of Ivan Mauger and he said that it was a mistake to try to do well in speedway as he was always riding in the shadow of his father and the pressure put on his shoulders was immense.

So please treat Jimmy as an individual not as Chris Holders big bro

I agree with you James Holder is one of the nicest guys around, and he knows he will never set the speedway world alight, but he is second to none as a team man. Even last year when he was injured he was always there to help his team mates and try to encourage them to do better but if you could have seen the colour of his chest he looked more like an aborigine than anything else. The one thing that goes against Jimmy is the fact that he is Chris Holders elder brother and everybody expects him to perform like Chris, even on the Plymouth web site Mike Bowden said that signing James was great because he is Chris Holders brother, even when he was interviewed at Somerset last season the first words where how Chris was doing at Poole or in the GP just forget who his brother is and allow James to be his own man this may take a little pressure off him and allow him to develop his own game. Many years ago I spoke to Kym Mauger son of Ivan Mauger and he said that it was a mistake to try to do well in speedway as he was always riding in the shadow of his father and the pressure put on his shoulders was immense. So please treat Jimmy as an individual not as Chris Holders big bro

Absolutely right, James is his own man and deserves to be treated as an individual .

Cockle confirmed in local rag and speedway star today.

Star claims Glanz has yet to sign his contract and given all the usual crap from Bowden he may not sign at all, so it's 6 down 1 to go.

Although I have said that Hart would be a better choice and I wqould maintain that now, it is very difficult to argue that Cockle doesn't deserve that place on merit.

He rode superbly at the back end of the year (particularly at SBA) and was a match winner on occasion.

Best of luck to him this season.

Out of interest if Werner decides to give up AGAIN after a few meetings, can Plymouth use Rider Replacement for him? If so, for how long?

I know it's cynical, but this is the only reason I can fathom for signing him on a 5+ average. Enabling the Devils to use better riders in his place (5.83 is a false average, he was woeful for Somerset in 2010 - Ashworth, Boxall, Holder and Cockle could take his rides) and save on travel costs in the process.

JT.

Edited by JT

Out of interest if Werner decides to give up AGAIN after a few meetings, can Plymouth use Rider Replacement for him? If so, for how long?

I know it's cynical, but this is the only reason I can fathom for signing him on a 5+ average. Enabling the Devils to use better riders in his place (5.83 is a false average, he was woeful for Somerset in 2010 - Ashworth, Boxall, Holder and Cockle could take his rides) and save on travel costs in the process.

JT.

Dont want even contemplate that senario, thankyou very much. Been there and got whole box of teashirts!!!!

Although I have said that Hart would be a better choice and I wqould maintain that now, it is very difficult to argue that Cockle doesn't deserve that place on merit.

He rode superbly at the back end of the year (particularly at SBA) and was a match winner on occasion.

Best of luck to him this season.

Quite agree HT. Never been a fan of Cockle's, except as a young Rye House NL rider, but he did ride as well as I have seen him on his last visit to BP with Plymouth. Was controlled, safe and gated well for a performance that made him probably their third best rider on the night. I know half the team that night were NL riders, but he was still impressive.

JT.

Cynical? Well, perhaps

Realistic? Definitely!

But - and you can trust me on this one - after last season every last Devils supporter is fed up to the back teeth with R/R.

Due to changes in my private life,its looking very likely that I will be a full time Devils supporter in 2012. :lol:

You will NEVER be able to remove my love of Poole Pirates though. :t:

I will be a regular on the 3rd-4th turns with the love of my life.Is she worth it? You bet she is. :P

• Like 2

JT.

I believe his average is going to be 5.57 not that it makes a difference as he will be lucky to get 3. I wouldn't be surprised if your scenario panned out to be honest, although the optimist in me hopes we have got him until he drops his average so we can bring in another big hitter. Can't see it but got to hope!

Due to changes in my private life,its looking very likely that I will be a full time Devils supporter in 2012. :lol:

I will be a regular on the 3rd-4th turns with the love of my life.Is she worth it? You bet she is. :P

And we will be very pleased to see you Bob! We'll try to ignore the Pirates bit ;)

Will we see you at Somerset this year?

mike bowden offering shares in the club at £10 each 4,900 available whilst he keeps a majority 5,100 dont know the legal ramifications of this but surely some transparency should be made available to potential shareholders personally wouldnt touch anything to do with bowden his reputation in the city as a business man leaves alot to be desired but thought i would post it, may give a few people a laugh!

mike bowden offering shares in the club at £10 each 4,900 available whilst he keeps a majority 5,100 dont know the legal ramifications of this but surely some transparency should be made available to potential shareholders personally wouldnt touch anything to do with bowden his reputation in the city as a business man leaves alot to be desired but thought i would post it, may give a few people a laugh!

£100,000 for what? A fence, a bus and Nicki Glanz? In Dragons Den style, I'm out!

He could always put £1 on entrance fee,and when you have 10 tickets swap them for one £10 share,with the "massive" gates we hear about should take about 20 weeks to sell the lot! perhaps i shouldn't have suggested it?