British Speedway Forum

Rye House 2012

Ben91

For those knocking the Rockets have you ever thought that the budget Len has to play with building the team isn't a big one? Fans must take into consideration that X amount through the gate means only X amount can go into team building.

Ftampton retiring is a blow but if the guys heart isn't it then fair play to him, once a riders desire to race is gone then it is best all around to call it a day, hard on the team but the correct decision.

Fans are knocking the Rockets but they should take stock of what they've got, ask any fan from Oxford, Reading, Milton Keynes, Crayfird, White City, Bristol et etc and see if they feel the same about a team finishing no worse than mid table!

• Like 1

Not sure where the Bunyan knocking is coming from. He is only at reserve still due to rolling averages, he's currently sitting at 6.14 with bonus points, 5.35 without. Shows he has picked up a lot of bonus points.

We have really missed Neathy this year despite what some will undoubtedly say, though hopefully Charlie will stay with us as our number one for next season. I doubt we will ever see Nelson again, whilst if Luke is going to miss half of next season we have to plan without him for the whole campaign.

There are two team spots to be filled, it'd make sense to blood two new assessed Scandinavian riders and get them real starting figures for next season as I've already mentioned we should be checking out Anton Rosen.

I'd expect the team next year to include Mellgren, Bunyan, Kling (Len seems to like him) Garrity and hopefully Gjedde too.

For those knocking the Rockets have you ever thought that the budget Len has to play with building the team isn't a big one? Fans must take into consideration that X amount through the gate means only X amount can go into team building.

Have you asked yourself why the budget may not be a big one?

Do you have any clues as to why attendances have halved over the past couple of years?

Some of it can be put down to the recession, but little effort has been made to keep existing fans or attract new customers through the gate with reduced admission for students and families.

Why are there no heat sponsors in the programme, bringing in a few extra pounds?

Why isnt there a supporters club who could organise collections and functions to help out with riders costs?

Len lost supporters after he spat the dummy out when heckled after he let Jason Doyle leave last year.

A few more drifted off due to the uninspiring side put together at the start of the season; the will he won't he saga of Nelson has been a joke that has quickly become annoying and embarrassing.

There have been some gripes about the quality of the fish bar. Not sampled it myself recently, but reports say the quality has definitely gone downwards.

All these little things add up

Len is an experienced businessman and doesn't need me telling him that the first rule of business is not to treat your customers like mugs. Gone are the days when all you had to do is open the gates and the crowds would flock in. People these days want more for their money.

What is gjeddes actual average for rye this season?

Before the weekend his CMA was 8.43 in the Speedway Star

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 1

Reducing the bar to an off licence this year didn't help.

Since they removed all draught beer and decent barman, we all go into the Rye Pub or the Labour Club down the road, before and after the meeting. Also we buy tinnies at the supermarket, so we have no need to go in the bar at all.

A couple of years ago, the long bar would be quite busy after every meeting and most of the riders would be in there for at least a short while, which all goes towards creating a club atmosphere. I am told now that only thing that moves in the bar after meetings is the tumbleweed )))

I'd expect the team next year to include Kling (Len seems to like him)

I would be shocked if Silver used him as a guest again after his showing on Saturday. I would have been telling him not to even bother turning up at Newcastle, he would have been p*sh there as well, bad enough with the weight of the Armadale track on his bikes never mind Berwicks as well.

Reducing the bar to an off licence this year didn't help.

Since they removed all draught beer and decent barman, we all go into the Rye Pub or the Labour Club down the road, before and after the meeting. Also we buy tinnies at the supermarket, so we have no need to go in the bar at all.

A couple of years ago, the long bar would be quite busy after every meeting and most of the riders would be in there for at least a short while, which all goes towards creating a club atmosphere. I am told now that only thing that moves in the bar after meetings is the tumbleweed )))

Did they explain why they stopped serving draught beer Bolly?

From personal experience I reckon Berwick have it just about right... A proper supporters club run with the full backing of the promotion with over subscribed coach tours to away meetings... Riders, promoters and team manager that mix with the fans before and after the meeting. Ricky Ashworth even turned up at the supporters club quiz night last Friday unannounced. I'm sure this happens at some other clubs too.

Contrast that to the experience we had on the 2005 Western Tour at hotel the supporters and team were staying at after we'd won at Newport. A group of us in the bar happily chatting with one of the Rockets side before he was wisked away by a stern faced part of the promotion. Couldn't have any of the riders mixing with the riff raff now could we?

I can't remember the last time the Rye House team came over to thank the fans for travelling, just doesn't happen.

The supporters club was done away with at Rye House years ago. The closest we had was Jan & Dave's great Northern Tours during the golden years of the mid to late 2000's when we used to win things, but they organised those off their own backs.

Edited by Shadders

As far as I am aware it was because they can get tinnies at the supermarket at the same price as us and put 100% mark up and sell them to the idiots who forget to buy there own, Plus you dont need anybody to clean the pipes or change the barrel if you are just handing over a tinnie.

But when I went to school, 20% of something was still better than 100% of nothing ? :drink:

Kling 8 + 2 tonight at Swindon, I know he had a complete mare at Berwick (yes I do believe the first hand accounts) but there must of been a reason, still think there is something there to harness and a fellow Swede for Mellgren.

I note the various comments regarding getting in an unknown foreigner but werent we after Sowka and P Aspregen both on 7 averages (dodged those landmines), getting foreigners isnt always unearthing another Sundstrom.

Kling 8 + 2 tonight at Swindon, I know he had a complete mare at Berwick (yes I do believe the first hand accounts) but there must of been a reason, still think there is something there to harness and a fellow Swede for Mellgren.

Ricky Kling, can score 0 one day, 15 the next, 8 the next, 0 the next... I'm sure you can see where this is going. He's just so inconsistent.

Amazingly, Len has done the sensible thing and signed 18yo Dane Kasper Lykke Nielsen on recommendation from Charlie Gjedde. Even more amazingly, he's been signed on condition that he rides in the rest of this season's meetings to start 2013 with a real average.

Full story at http://www.ryehouse....n-New-Dane.aspx

Surprising, but bold move by Len. Quick look at the fixtures shows 7 home and 5 away league fixtures. Is that enough to gain an average for next year? Something in the back of my mind says 6 & 6, if so its imperative we make the play offs and Kasper steers clear of injury.

More info:

http://teamlykke.dk/tl/index.php?option=com_zoo&view=item&Itemid=236

After doing some quick research I'm guessing he won't be making an immediate impact, so Rye House fans will have to be patient.

Edited by Shadders

New foreign riders shouldn't be allowed to gain a real average until it exceeds their assessed figure - that would stop them being signed precisely for this purpose and then denying a young Brit the chance in 2013.

Or a young Aussie... Plenty of young Brits around at the start of 2012. How many did Ipswich manage to fit in?

Stop the nonsense of lower averages just because you happen to come from an ex colony. You're taking up a Brits place whether you come from Denmark, Australia or Outer Mongolia.

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 4

New foreign riders shouldn't be allowed to gain a real average until it exceeds their assessed figure - that would stop them being signed precisely for this purpose and then denying a young Brit the chance in 2013.

Your man Morten would still be bloody waiting then.........

That would just about kill off speedway in this country, defiantly wouldn't get Brits coming through then.

Surprising, but bold move by Len. Quick look at the fixtures shows 7 home and 5 away league fixtures. Is that enough to gain an average for next year? Something in the back of my mind says 6 & 6, if so its imperative we make the play offs and Kasper steers clear of injury.

As has already been pointed out, its four home and four away. As far as I'm aware play offs are not included in the end of season averages. so whilst a top six finish will be good for business, it's not important from an average perspective.

in any event there was supposed to be a competition for those sides finishing 7-12, although it remains to be seen if that actually happens.

............ Plenty of young Brits around at the start of 2012. How many did Ipswich manage to fit in?......

Of course it depends how you define British. Remember, North and the boy Heeps both hold British passports